I'm a new member...weird & proud of it

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SKOREAPV83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2007, 7:41 pm

Hi everyone. I'm Adam from Cincinnati, OH, USA. I was diagnosed with Asperger's @ the age of 12 by neuropsychiatrist Dr. Brian McConville MD @ Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. I am so weird & proud of my ways. I'm NOT dangerous or criminal or anything like that. I just don't let nobody control me except the law. I've been this way since 1999.

I took sign language in college and I loved it. But lately I've been rejected a lot by the Deaf, Hard-of-Hearing, & Deaf-Blind a lot. So I found there are quite a few Aspie signers on this forum and I decided to join. So far it really feels like home. I am trying my best to be appropriate and follow the rules but be myself simultaneously.

Talk about "night vision"...sometimes I have it sometimes I don't. However I'm very good at feeling for information like the blind do (example: feeling the position of the switch on my thermostat to know if my air conditioning is set to kick on or not). It just depends on where I am @ nighttime and how much light I have to see by. There are quite a few things I can see with very little light. I'd love to get a light meter & measure how many lux it takes for me to see certain images. (I like to measure in metric cuz I'm a unity activist).

As for communication, I have the most trouble with spoken language. I always find it easier to understand WRITTEN English. I own & use a TTY (teletypewriter) for most of my telecommunications, and it utilizes written English. Thankfully these forums are all written. I am verbal, but the more I refuse to speak the more comfortable I am. I am most comfortable with American Sign Language (ASL) in the tactile mode used by the Deaf-Blind. Definitely weird cuz I can see & hear fully. I just have auditory & visual processing deficits that I'm struggling to get diagnosed. I also read Grade 1 (uncontracted) English Braille. A former Deaf-Blind friend taught me Braille. Too bad internet technology with refreshable Braille costs $1,000s. I can't afford it, so I gotta read the forums in print.

Before I ever got with the Deaf-Blind, I never had much desire for human touch. But since the Deaf-Blind all pushed me away the very next night after my Grandpa died, I have missed the touches they gave me a lot! The Deaf-Blind have far more reasons for giving touch than most other people do. They are very fun people. The way the Deaf-Blind give so much touch and really take their time communicating made them ideal friends for me in 2003. They are a larger population than most non-Deaf-Blind people realize. But until I figure out where to go to meet new Deaf-Blind friends and have newfound opportunity with the Deaf-Blind, I'm going to stay around Cincinnati's West Side area, most likely in this newly renovated 3-family house up on the 3rd floor in East Price Hill.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 7:46 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 8:44 pm

Hey. Welcome to WP.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

15 Aug 2007, 10:12 pm

Hello Adam...

Wecome to WP :)

I am also less stressed the more I refuse to speak. I used to know sign language but have forgotten most of it apart from the basics.

I hope you enjoy posting here :P

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Aug 2007, 6:55 am

Hi, i'm a newbie too, grew up in florence KY, used to date a deaf guy there he was really nice, then he had an operation and got most of his hearing back and turned into a different person. I understood through. I guess he really WAS a different person.learned ASL for him but have forgotten most of it now (this was many moons ago)anyway...your post made me think of him. hope you like it here as much as i do

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 9:39 am

Hi, Adam!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

Have I spoken to you before?

I hope you enjoy posting here!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Aug 2007, 3:27 pm