Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

blueraspberry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2023, 6:23 pm

I'm in a business class and the teacher says that to be a leader in business you need "people skills." Like you need to be good at public speaking and enthusiastically talking with people, etc. Does anyone have experience being a business leader when you don't have traditional "people skills?"

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 12:31 am

blueraspberry wrote:
I'm in a business class and the teacher says that to be a leader in business you need "people skills." Like you need to be good at public speaking and enthusiastically talking with people, etc. Does anyone have experience being a business leader when you don't have traditional "people skills?"

No and I don't think my coworker did either and he got promoted to kitchen lead but you have to deal with backstabbing coworkers to get there.

Some people don't have a healthy conversational style and constantly want other people to get in trouble to feel better about themselves.

But you can even be that person and have people skills and not have feelings for anyone.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 10:45 pm

blueraspberry wrote:

Sort of, but not really. If you're good at the other areas of business you'd either hire somebody that has those skills or partner with them. For example the Steves that started Apple. Jobs was pretty amazing in terms of being a giant jerk that had enough people skills to convince people he wasn't, and to get them to do great things. Woz was far more interested in technology and is now one of the few ultrawealthy people that pranks working class workers. (Read, not even remotely good with people)

Also, I can think of several people where I work who are leaders of some sort, but they don't really do any of the things that one would typically associate with being a leader. They're just extremely reliable and people you can go to when you need stuff actually done.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 5:29 am

blueraspberry wrote:

Well I am the CEO of a small oil company so I do have experience in that way.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 12:22 pm

blueraspberry wrote:

It certainly helps in most traditional cases. Your teacher is not wrong.

My friend is CEO of his own tech company and has a dozen or so full time employees + several contractors around the world + a dealer network of a few hundred shops that sell his product. He's deaf and almost never stands up in front of a room full of people to speak to them. One on one conversations, sure, but mostly he's the fastest reader and typist I've Ever seen and has absolutely insane executive functions and sits at a 4-screened command centre and makes everything happen.. conversations, delegating, completing his own work, dealing with outside contractors and suppliers - lawyers, accountants, builders, realtors, tenants, managers, staff, engineers and on and on and on. But he's literally a one off and NOT the norm. I couldn't do what he does. No one I've ever met could do what he does besides him. He's a total machine. Eat sleep workout eat healthy work work work rinse repeat and makes Millions of dollars -> which he does not enrich his and his family's life with. It's for future philanthropy.

So, it's Possible.. just HIGHLY improbable.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2023, 3:27 am

Bill Gates didn't exactly have people skills.

It's a skill which helps, yes, in a lot of business situations. But it's not mandatory. Especially if you're not looking to work in face-to-face sales (although B2B is surprisingly calm and logical in comparison) or be an out-there huge face of a company. Business skills can help take you beyond lower-level pure technical roles and into things like project management, deep contract analysis, and business strategy - roles which don't necessarily have an overwhelming focus on people skills.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2023, 10:30 pm

Elon Musk is the obvious one that comes to mind. In fact I think he actually stated he is on the autism spectrum. But he’s done pretty well regardless.

I have done ok in terms of business skills within the tech sector (which tends to have a more autism friendly culture). I managed several teams over the years and recently started my own company. I had to work hard on communication in my 20s and still struggle at times. But I make up for it in other ways.

Focus more on your strengths and people will be more likely to forgive not-so-perfect social skills.

David1346
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2024, 8:48 pm

blueraspberry wrote:

Elon Musk doesn't seem to have people skills. This could eventually kill X (formerly called Twitter). Advertisers continue to abandon this once popular social media platform because of his racist and anti-Jewish comments.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 9:37 am

Being good at business requires soft skills in many scenarios.

The ability to mix with people in business meetings is essential. The ability to manage employees if one is in charge of employees is essential.

Business negotiation, business related (telephone) calls and marketing one's business all requires people skills.

Business is an art in some respects, which is why business qualifications at degree level are typically "bachelor of arts" rather than "bachelor of science" qualifications.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 5:24 am

I am a Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Organizational Management specialized in General Business, and a Master of Business Administration. I have spent over a decade as a manager, team leader, and on-boarding trainer.

Soft-skills matter. People-skills matter. You don't have to be "Captain Charisma" who charms everyone they meet - but it's generally a good idea to be able to effectively communicate and interact with others - sometimes on their terms rather than yours. You don't have to be a great public speaker - most people aren't - but it is highly advantageous to be capable of addressing a group, however small or large. You don't have to appeal to all people all the time all at once - but you should be able to "read a room" to some degree, and interact with at least the specific audience you are trying to reach, however small or large - whether it's one-on-one in a private room, or in front of a group.

People who succeed despite lacking social skills usually have gobs of money, with which to pay someone else to use their social skills as a proxy. A "spokesman". Or the money attracts the greedy despite the lack of social graces.

Individuals such as Bill Gates or Elon Musk were born rich to influential parents. Birth-lottery opened many doors for them just by proxy of their inherited privilege - doors which the average person usually needs to charm negotiate impress and/or fight their way through.

For the most part, in the business world, every skill you can get your hands on, and leverage effectively, is to your benefit.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 9:43 pm

You don't need an inane amount of charm when it came to leading a business -- but that will help if you're self employed who does your own end product.

Overall, you will need clear communications.
Also, knowing your boundaries and enforcing around any communication issues you have.

Being the one to run a business likely requires good delegation.
Thus hiring someone who knows who to hire (someone you have to judge if this person won't backstab you), hiring a secretary, hiring someone who can take care of ads, some representative, someone who will manage the numbers and logistics, someone who will work the end product, etc.
Really, unless you're an exception; one cannot simply just do them all.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2024, 7:38 am

"Overall, you will need clear communications. Also, knowing your boundaries and enforcing around any communication issues you have."

This! I've had 'charming' CEOs and I've had 'functional robot' CEOs. I'd much rather work for the latter. The two that were charming were terrible at actually communicating anything useful. Or they did the chinese whispers thing (I'll tell one employee and hope they share that info with the right people accurately - which didn't happen). It's incredibly difficult to work for someone like that.

You just need the ability to view the business as a machine with the different components and then share necessary information with the people that need it when they need it so they can do their own job/s efficiently. You don't need to be able to actually do all the individual jobs (although it helps when you first start out and/or having a general understanding of what those employees are doing and need from you).

Sales is a different role and I'd say that does require more 'charm'. With sales you are trying to convince rather than just share information. I'm trying to learn that stuff now and it's a very different way of thinking/communicating.