Did your life ever go 'past' the first line of a biography?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 9:14 pm

You're right that there's nepotism and corruption and that life is unfair, but thinking about these things doesn't serve a purpose, it only makes us bitter.

In the same way, thinking that our accomplishments or milestones are not what we feel they should be also leads to bitterness. I think a better way is to find a way to live that works for you and is available to you, rather than wishing you could have something that is not available, even if it's unfair.

Acceptance is the only way to find peace. That doesn't mean giving up, you can still strive for the things that will give you some satisfaction, but also try to be at peace if you don't get to do those things. I know it's hard, I'm not saying it's easy. But we really have no choice but to accept the cards we're each dealt.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 9:14 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
The best biographies are not at all about what someone has achieved in the conventional sense. The best ones are about how that person developed, the hardships they went through and how they faced them.

In fact I think we are awash in biographies of the rich and useless and need more from those who have struggled. This kind can help authorities and society in general to see what we are getting wrong in the way people are treated, and how our actions can cause or relieve suffering.

In that sense, I would be very happy to read your autobiography, explaining how you got to the place you are at now (whether good or bad), how you have been unable to progress, and what changes you would hope for in society. But I agree, realistically, it would be hard for most of us unknowns to get our autobiographies or manifestos published. The world is far from fair.
I really like this.

sodepressed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2023, 10:46 am

I can accept to live alone with cats, I suppose... but something is still missing...

Biographies aren't so basic, but mine practically ended a decade ago and now I merely rot...

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 1:23 am

sodepressed wrote:
I can accept to live alone with cats, I suppose... but something is still missing...

Biographies aren't so basic, but mine practically ended a decade ago and now I merely rot...

Acceptance doesn't mean giving up. You can still try to do things that you think might be within your reach. Just try not to get frustrated or bitter about the things that you can't do, even if it's for reasons that are unfair.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 2:39 pm

bee33 wrote:
Acceptance doesn't mean giving up. You can still try to do things that you think might be within your reach. Just try not to get frustrated or bitter about the things that you can't do, even if it's for reasons that are unfair.

I more or less agree with that. There's no point railing long and hard against what can't for the time being be changed, nor is it a great thing to try and roll over and embrace forever what's intrinsically unpleasant. But there's a third way, which is to do neither of those, and instead to keep calm and be open to new methods that might be used to fix the bad situation. Personally I don't know that I'd call it acceptance, but I'm not here to argue about the names of things.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2023, 12:34 pm

Not sure what this means. My life has been messy and I'm complex. I have dissociated through most of my life as it's too painful to deal with most of what is considered "normal" for the majority.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 9:13 am

I have a lot to write in my biography, some of it bad and some of it good. Out of my entire family I probably had the most interesting life so far but I wouldn't really expect others to find it all that interesting.