Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 10:13 am

Forbes

Quote:
Awareness versus acceptance" has been a debate within the autism community for many years. Awareness was once a necessity due to the lack of available information regarding autism, but many people are now becoming more informed and embracing neurodiversity. A new generation of advocates is pushing for language to evolve alongside it.

The history of autism awareness dates back to the 1970s when the Autism Society of America started its nationwide awareness campaign. In 1973, Richard Nixon declared the last week of June National Autistic Children’s Week.

In the 1980s, Ronald Reagan issued a proclamation declaring April Autism Awareness Month. The United Nations declared that World Autism Awareness Day would be observed on April 2 beginning in 2008.

When the Autism Society of America initiated its awareness campaign in the 1970s, information about autism was scarce. However, significant developments have since taken place, and access to information about autism has improved considerably.

As the general public's understanding of autism evolved, the term "autism awareness" gradually became less relevant in the eyes of some. This shift in perception has led advocates to emphasize acceptance and inclusivity.

In 2021, the Autism Society of America suggested using the name Autism Acceptance Month instead of Autism Awareness Month.

The rest of the article is geared selling to and showing how business can accept autism and be inclusive.

From what I have seen this year has seen an sharp increase in media use of “Autism Acceptance Month”. Last year I would see an occasional use of “Autism Acceptance Month”. This year it is roughly half and half split between usage of Awareness vs Acceptance month.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2023, 3:00 pm

I recently visited the Autism Society website and noticed they had changed to "acceptance". They also have no puzzle pieces there :D. Autism Society