Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 10:29 pm

This could be either substance addiction, or behavioral addiction
https://www.choosingtherapy.com/behavioral-addictions/

For me, I have the markers of a shopping addiction. I have absolutely run my bank account into the ground multiple times, until this last time where the checking account has been closed entirely with me owing around $800 to the bank as a debt.
For this reason, I am seriously considering giving someone power of attorney over my finances. If I have money, I will spend it. That's a fact I can count on, and the only way I can see to stop myself from running my entire life into the ground is to give someone else the reins.

From what I've seen (and in my own experience!!), even special interests can become a legitimate addiction that literally meets (altered) official diagnostic criteria for substance abuse disorders if allowed to go too far.

I think my cocktail of mental disorders basically means (for me) that I have an addictive personality.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 5:21 pm

Isn't that usually the result of inadequate treatment and a lack of social connections? I know that most of my addiction problems got significantly better when I started to get treated and stopped worrying about having relationships.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 5:28 pm

I don't know. My previous therapist had told me that my impulsive spending was most likely due to my ADHD. I think it is often about connection, but in general I have more connection than I actually want.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 5:38 pm

I also have an addictive personality, but don't think it's related to my autism,adhd and comorbids but who knows.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 6:10 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I don't know. My previous therapist had told me that my impulsive spending was most likely due to my ADHD. I think it is often about connection, but in general I have more connection than I actually want.

That is definitely possible and would have a different solution than a shopping addiction would.

Impulsive spending is usuallythe result of a lack of consideration paid to the money and necessity of there purchase. With impulsive spending, you probably won't do it unless an ad comes on to make you aware of a specific product or you otherwise come across one. I probably aren't looking to make a purchase and then finding items that fit the bill.

Which is probably the case if the therapist is calling it impulsive rather than some form of addiction.