Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 8:00 pm

I need a very good virus protection, I have a laptop, an iPhone & iPad. When I bought my laptop last year, it came with free stuff, one of things was a virus protection, it expired, it was Webroot Internet Security Plus. I want people help from here, can someone please help me?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 1:47 am

I don't know anything about phones or Ipads, but if your laptop is running Windows 10 or Windows 11, then the built-in Windows Defender system should be good enough to protect it. Microsoft's built-in antivirus apparatus on earlier operating systems had a poor reputation, but their current offerings are well regarded, it seems.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 4:56 pm

I am on a desktop running Windows 10 and use Windows Security which is built in but I also use the free version of Avast. I use Firefox as my browser with uBlock Origin add on (basically an advert blocker). I don't use any additional protection or apps on my Apple products.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 5:13 pm

Facemask?

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 5:32 pm

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 6:01 pm

Hehe! That's it!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 6:23 pm

The paid version of Bitdefender Internet Security is well rated.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 7:05 am

One significant defense is to use something like Aomei Backupper to back up and restore the system partitions. Essentially you create an image while your computer is clean, and keep it on an external drive. Then you restore the image any time you think you may have picked up some dirt. As it completely overwrites the system, it's likely that any viruses will be wiped off. The bonus is that if you get into any kind of software-related trouble at all, it'll usually fix that too, without any need for you to find out what's wrong and how to put it right. The downside is that you have to figure out how to boot on an external drive (some computers these days don't like you to do that), because that's the way system restoration works - completely outside of Windows or whatever your OS might be. As you only run the program occasionally, as a one-off job, it doesn't slow you down when you're using the computer for your normal work. Windows still has its own system restore utility, but I don't think it's very thorough.

It's also good to use the NoScript browser plugin to block scripts that aren't necessary for the web pages to function. And Windows Defender is supposed to be quite helpful, so I wouldn't usually switch that off.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 7:07 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
One significant defense is to use something like Aomei Backupper to back up and restore the system partitions. Essentially you create an image while your computer is clean, and keep it on an external drive. Then you restore the image any time you think you may have picked up some dirt. As it completely overwrites the system, it's likely that any viruses will be wiped off. The bonus is that if you get into any kind of software-related trouble at all, it'll usually fix that too, without any need for you to find out what's wrong and how to put it right. The downside is that you have to figure out how to boot on an external drive (some computers these days don't like you to do that), because that's the way system restoration works - completely outside of Windows or whatever your OS might be. As you only run the program occasionally, as a one-off job, it doesn't slow you down when you're using the computer for your normal work. Windows still has its own system restore utility, but I don't think it's very thorough.

It's also good to use the NoScript browser plugin to block scripts that aren't necessary for the web pages to function. And Windows Defender is supposed to be quite helpful, so I wouldn't usually switch that off.

Some good tips here, ToughDiamond! :)