My boyfriend who doesn't like dogs, wants a pug.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 1:09 am

I mean I am more of a cat person but I like dogs ok, but my boyfriend generally doesn't really like dogs. So as long as we've been together I figured we'd never get a dog because he doesn't like them so figured we'd just get cats since we both like them.

But yeah we visited my sister and her husband and they have a french bulldog which we interacted with a bunch and it's been since that visit my boyfriend has very much expressed interest in getting a pug. Because they are kind of similar and I guess he has always sorta liked those sorts of dogs. But yeah I just never expected he'd be considering a dog as a pet, but seems like he really does want a pug...so I suppose perhaps it will end up being a cat and a pug, because I still very much want a cat but could also get onboard with a pug just means we will have to look into the best ways to introduce a cat and pug so they could be friends.

But yeah just thought it was sort of funny my boyfriend who has for sure said he'd never want a dog, wants a pug which is a dog.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 5:32 pm

Look into the issues with pugs before you decide to share a space with one. Personality wise, they're foul little s**ts; they're also prone to health issues.

If you like the sound of weezing from an animal that picks one favourite human and despises all other life, a pug might be for you.

At least, that's the jist of what I've heard from people who had to cohabit with such dogs.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 5:51 pm

Who doesn't want a pug. Pugs are cute. You should do your research as the above poster stated.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 8:24 pm

They are cute but have many health issues as stated above.Also their eyes get scratched easily since they protrude outward.A friend was a former breeder.
Her’s also attacked and killed some baby corgi puppies.So they can have a nasty streak in them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 3:00 am

I dont find them cute. I think that they are kinda grotesque.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 3:05 am

Pugs aren't really dogs.
They're more like gargoyles.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 4:34 am

they're erstwhile dogs

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 1:35 pm

:eek:

Maybe he should dog sit for someone for a week and see if it’s for him.

Cats are super independent and will just do their own thing. Dogs are like needy toddlers 24/7 and require playing and running and babysitting All The Time. Can’t go out to work or play and just leave them all day like you can a cat with a litter box.

Further, both are expensive.. shots, vet bills, food, property damage to furniture, flooring, walls etc And they make it much more difficult to find housing when you need to move as few landlords allow pets.

If it were me, I’d just visit people with pets and go check out dogs/cats at a pet store or spca rescue or something once in a while vs take on the full time work and expense of having them at home.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:26 pm

If you do consider getting a dog, I highly recommend you get pet insurance.
I didn't get it for my dog and he's had a lot of health issues like allergies and infections.
I'd say he's cost me about $15-20,000 in vet bills since 2011.
That's on top of routine vaccines and food etc.

Puppy insurance might be $40 / month but it's well, well worth it.

I have it on my cats and have saved thousands already in two years.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:30 pm

Or adopt a mutt for free and if he is strong with a strong immune system, he lives. If he kicks it, get another one. Costa a lot less than vet bills to let nature run it’s course on weak animals.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Look into the issues with pugs before you decide to share a space with one. Personality wise, they're foul little s**ts; they're also prone to health issues.

If you like the sound of weezing from an animal that picks one favourite human and despises all other life, a pug might be for you.

At least, that's the jist of what I've heard from people who had to cohabit with such dogs.

That's more than a bit harsh - especially from someone who's never owned one personally. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. My grandmother had pugs (usually 2-3 at a time) all of her adult life and none of them ever despised anyone. Wile they do tend to bond with one person, I don't think that qualifies them as "foul little s**ts" (Maybe they sense you own low opinion of them?) I've fostered several that have been abandoned, and they've all been fine. I can't recall any of them Wheezing, but the breed can't handle strenuous activity, without some mouth breathing (their flattend faces make it hard to breathe deeply)

As for health concerns, almost all dogs have their own set of them. So yes, do your research pet-ownership is more responsibility than most people want...dogs are dogs, not an accessory - don't get one if you aren't aware of that going in.

Last edited by DanielW on 08 May 2023, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:39 pm

DanielW wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That's more than a bit harsh - especially from someone who's never owned one personally. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. My grandmother had pugs (usually 2-3 at a time) all of her adult life and none of them ever despised anyone. Wile they do tend to bond with one person, I don't think that qualifies them as "foul little s**ts" (Maybe they sense you own low opinion of them?)

As for health concerns, almost all dogs have their own set of them. So yes, do your research pet-ownership is more responsibility than most people want...dogs are dogs, not an accessory - don't get one if you aren't aware of that going in.

That's two dabs on my Nutter BINGO card. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

and another wackjob troll on my block list

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:44 pm

DanielW wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

and another wackjob troll on my block list

You sure showed me. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 2:48 pm

:lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 3:26 pm

Some people love a breed regardless of the negative sides.
I have a Labrador and she sheds like crazy and is a chow hound.If you leave the pantry door open she will stick her head in the feed bag and gorge.
I wouldn’t take anything for her and she is the most loving creature ever.I will always have a Lab.