John Bolton - Foreign leaders view Trump ‘laughing fool’

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 11:24 am

’Laughing fool' Trump was a joke to foreign leaders -- according to his own former national security adviser

Quote:
Former National Security Adviser John Bolton laid into former President Donald Trump on "CNN This Morning" Tuesday in discussion with Kaitlan Collins.

The discussion centered largely on comments Trump made about foreign policy and the Russian invasion of Ukraine during CNN's controversial St. Anselm College town hall last Wednesday, which Collins moderated.

"You once said that he barely knew where Ukraine was," said Collins. "And his notion that — one thing he repeated that night as well is he said, if he was in office, that Putin would not have invaded Ukraine."

"Yeah," said Bolton. "Trump has this impression that foreign leaders, especially adversaries, hold him in high regard, that he's got a good relationship with Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-un. I believe they think he's a laughing fool. And the idea that somehow his presence in office would have deterred Putin is flatly wrong. If anything, if Trump had won a second term and done what I think he intended to do, which is get out of NATO, Putin would have just waited and let him do it, and even the weakening of NATO would have made it a lot easier for the Russians to have prevailed."

"Another comment Trump made speaking of the rule of law last Wednesday night is, he left the door open to pardoning people who were charged with assaulting cops on January 6th, the Proud Boys convicted of seditious conspiracy," said Collins. "What did you make of him saying that he would consider pardoning most of them?"

"I think it's virtually treasonous for the president to say he would pardon people who were trying to disrupt the work of Congress," said Bolton. "It's another example why he's not fit to be president. If anybody wants to know what a Trump administration would look like, if he's pardoning the people who rioted on January 6th, that's all you need to know."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 7:14 pm

John Bolton is plenty despicable himself, but I don't doubt his assessments on this topic are correct.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 11:53 pm

Sometimes I think that Trump never really talks to anybody but his own supporters, even when he's supposed to be talking to relatively well-educated, intelligent people, that every word he utters is just to please his uneducated fan base back home. So it wouldn't surprise me if those with better-honed brains couldn't muster up much respect for his "thoughts."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 5:00 pm

It amuses me seeing many of his former staffers come out and attack him now

Particularly distasteful seeing former press secretary, Stephanie Grisham, making claims of witnessing harrassment, why didn't she say something when she was working for him?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 5:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
John Bolton is plenty despicable himself, but I don't doubt his assessments on this topic are correct.
Even a blind pig finds an occasional truffle.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 9:07 pm

There was video footage of world leaders laughing at trump and his daughter in all their ineptness. We didn’t need bolton to tell us.

In addition, regular citizens all over the world laughed at him just the same. I know I did.