Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2023, 11:27 pm

I think Mr Hawley is opening himself up to "mugshot " jokes. Who wants to see his mug every time they reach for their mug of morning coffee? :mrgreen:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 11:39 pm

Honey69 wrote:
^Thanks for that.

Here is the full report: https://www.equimundo.org/wp-content/up ... n-2023.pdf

Some men do feel a considerable amount of angst, and the "conservative" politicians have figured out how to tap into that.

From the report:

Quote:

Many men perceive their online lives as more meaningful than their offline ones, with nearly half saying that virtual connections are “more engaging and rewarding” than the rest of their lives.

That might describe the bulk of WrongPlanet members.

Quote:

Low-income, non-university-educated men report the least social support and optimism. Men without college educations are in especially precarious positions and show up at the bottom in our measures of well-being,
including social support and optimism. As “cultural losers of modernization,” they are especially susceptible to the politics of resentment and reaction.

That would seem to be whom Josh Hawley is targeting. Someone with a college education would be able to see through Mr. Hawley's biblical quotes.

Quote:

We have long taught men to embrace courage, strength, and bravery, and these are the exact ideals required to pursue a new, uncharted path of positive, healthy, emotionally connected masculinity. What the present
moment calls for is a version of these ideals shorn of any element of dominance, violence, or unearned privilege.

Okay. When they talk like this, some of us who have encountered toxic women will be pushed back to the manosphere.

You are welcome and thank you for the full report.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 11:47 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Thank you, Kraichgauer!

:thumleft:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 12:25 am

Idk I just don't think it is very 'masculine' to throw a fit over Budweiser doing one advert/collaboration with a trans woman. and either boycotting or buying budwiesr cans to destroy, like that just seems kind of babyish. Or you could you know just be an actual man and not cry about trans people existing. like why would a woman even want someone who is so uncomfortable in their skin they lash out at others while avoiding any of their own issues.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 1:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Idk I just don't think it is very 'masculine' to throw a fit over Budweiser doing one advert/collaboration with a trans woman. and either boycotting or buying budwiesr cans to destroy, like that just seems kind of babyish. Or you could you know just be an actual man and not cry about trans people existing. like why would a woman even want someone who is so uncomfortable in their skin they lash out at others while avoiding any of their own issues.

A lot of conservatives have a lot of skeletons in the proverbial closet. They're probably afraid they'll let slip how that Trans person really gives them tight pants!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 1:58 am

a tragedy that people just can't be real.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 2:26 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

The pejorative that comes to mind is needledick. A lot of conservatives are insecure needledicks who have a very shallow concept of masculinity, but also fail to live up to that concept of masculinity.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 2:41 am

Me with my PCOS beard confusing little kids about whether I'm "a boy or a girl" (Neither. I'm neither.)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 3:39 am

auntblabby wrote:

For too many people, how they're perceived in the light of religion or politics is more important than being honest with themselves.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 4:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

For too many people, how they're perceived in the light of religion or politics is more important than being honest with themselves.

and when they shuffle off their mortal coil, when the coroner cuts into them he will be splashed with all the tears they kept within themselves lest anybody notice they were merely human and not these supermen they wanted others to see them as.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 4:53 pm

^^^
Too true.

Brain Weevil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2023, 4:08 pm

I heard on the NPR show "On The Media" a great segment in which "new" problems are actually continually repeats, some lasting more than a century.
This dude has been into newspaper archives since he was a teenager (tangent: sounds atypical to me!) , and used his cultivated skill to find that all these "crises" have been "new problems" for society since more than a century ago!

Here's the URL just for that segment:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ot ... -the-media

Several topics discussed: the fall of the work ethic, the masculinity crisis, and the extinction of our sense of humor.
All of these "new crisesA have been repeatedly railed against since a century ago or more in popular news media.

Truly, the more things change, the more they stay the same. :roll:

The world is not merely stranger than we suppose. It is stranger than we can suppose.
J. B. S. Haldane, (1892 – 1964) British biochemist.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 8:59 pm

Looks like they've cooked up a "Femininity Crisis"

https://www.mediamatters.org/charlie-ki ... ung-womens

Quote:

Career women in right-wing media tell young girls to give up their dreams at Young Women's Leadership Summit

If you don’t want to give up everything else to have children and marry a Christian man, Charlie Kirk wants you to pray about it

I’m fascinated by Turning Point USA’s Young Women’s Leadership Summit for the same reasons I watch ABC’s The Bachelorette. The dating show tries to awkwardly reconcile fundamentally opposed interpretations of gender roles in a woman’s pursuit of an opposite-sex partner. The woman crowned as the bachelorette each season represents a certain type of conformity. She is feminine, unattainable, a prize to be won, flirty, and non-threatening to masculinity -- the ideal future wife. At the same time, her role is highly subversive to traditional norms of courtship -- she’s “dating” 25 men at once. This scenario totally boggles the normative masculinity of the contestants pursuing her.

Turning Point USA’s Young Women’s Leadership Summit, which targets college and high-school age girls, grapples with these same contradictions in a much darker and more prescriptive way. Speaker after speaker emphasized to the audience that they should become wives, mothers, and accessories to the astroturfed conservative movement rather than pursuing a demanding career. These themes were nearly identical to last year’s YWLS.

Yet this conference exists because of the labor of women on the right who clearly value their careers. Speakers like TPUSA influencer Alex Clark, Fox host Laura Ingraham, and The Daily Wire’s Candace Owens both covertly and overtly discouraged the audience of young women from pursuing high-powered careers — but it takes a lot of work to build an audience as a woman in right-wing media. Behind the scenes, Turning Point USA’s events and marketing leadership are also populated by women. Chief Marketing Officer Marina Minas’ biography says nothing of her achievements in the domestic realm. The same goes for the vice president of events, Lauren Toncich....

Is this something new, or is there some historical precedent, similar to our "masculinity crisis?"

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 7:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQv8VuLpKN4

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 8:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI8_Zl2UEHk

Honey69
Veteran