Prince Harry, Meghan Markle in car chase involving paparazzi

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 7:17 pm

CBS News

Quote:
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were in a "near catastrophic car chase" involving paparazzi in New York City Tuesday night, his spokesperson said.

"This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD (New York Police Department) officers," the spokesperson said.

The chase was "at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi," according to the statement.

However, two law enforcement sources told CBS News no one was in danger during the pursuit. Paparazzi followed Harry and Meghan as they circled, trying to lose them and not give away where they were staying in the city, the sources said, and the couple eventually switched vehicles and got away.

The pair were in New York for the Ms. Foundation Women of Vision Awards, which they attended with Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland. Harry's spokesperson said Ragland was also with them during the chase.

It happened after Harry and Meghan left the event at the Ziegfeld Ballroom in Midtown Manhattan, on their way to the Upper East Side, CBS New York reported. They eventually got out of their car and hopped into a taxi cab.

"I was crossing 67th Street and the security guard hailed me. And the next thing you know Prince Harry and his wife were hopping into my cab," the cab driver, Sunny Singh, said. "And as we went a block, we got blocked by a garbage truck, and all of a sudden, paparazzis came, and they started taking pictures. And then... they were just about to tell me their location, where they were going to go, but then they told me to circle back to the precinct. So we circled back to the precinct."

The NYPD said in a statement that officers "assisted the private security team protecting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex," adding, "There were numerous photographers that made their transport challenging. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived at their destination and there were no reported collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests in regard."

Asked if felt like the paparazzi were being aggressive when Harry and Meghan were in his cab, Singh said no.

"No, no, no, no. They were behind us. I mean, they stayed on top of us that was pretty much to it. There was nothing more. You know, they kept their distance. They're just journalists just like everybody else trying to get pictures, trying to make a quick buck," he said.

He added that the Sussexes were good tippers.

"Yeah, it was great, man. Ten minute drive, $50. What else can you ask for, right? You can't beat that," he said.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams commented on the incident Wednesday, calling it "reckless and irresponsible."

"I don't think there's many of us who don't recall how his mom died," Adams said, adding that it would be "horrific" to lose an innocent bystander during a chase, or for something to have happened to Harry and Meghan.

Adams didn't provide details on the incident and said he would be briefed in-depth later on Wednesday.

The incident in New York comes after a suspect was arrested at the couple's home in Montecito at around 2 a.m. on Monday. The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Kevin Garcia Valdovinos, was placed under citizen's arrest by a staff member near the home's service entrance, a spokesperson for the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office told CBS News.

The police arrived and he was charged with stalking. He was booked in jail and released on $2,500 bail, the spokesperson said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 8:21 pm

Those paparazzo need to remember in some parts of Merka Harry might have a case to shoot them. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 8:30 pm

Sometimes I wonder if celebrity worship isn't the official state religion of the USA.

If it isn't the official state religion it's gotta be at least the official state mass psychosis.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 8:48 pm

Something doesn't add up about this story. It will be interesting to see how the media spins this in the next few days and it's also going to be divisive af.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 1:27 am

Dangerious car chase caused by paparazzi.

History almost repeating itself?

Didnt someone die from that?

Lemme think...

Wasnt it...wasnt it......oh yeah!....Harry's own mom.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 2:25 am

Interesting....somebody is not telling the truth...
https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... a9e3276ee5

But whom?

More curious is how it will look when the son of the King is killed in a car chase when his father won't pay for their security
I am sure Charles won't want a repeat of his ex-wife's calamity

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 2:47 am

Yeah. The couple is more likely to die from...cameramen then from gunmen. Though thats obviously an issue too. Terrorism etc. What a unique "occupational hazard" to have.

Something gotta be done about security for them.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 18 May 2023, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 2:53 am

The paparazzi want their $1m scoop photo of Meghan or Harry or of Archie or Lillibert. They are going to risk life and limb to get their shot.

If H and M are serious about their kids they should make deals with their benefactors for 24-7 armed guards

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 1:45 pm

I found this video interesting if you can get past the YT'ers obvious disdain for the Harkles

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 1:47 pm

Do they still live in BC?

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 1:55 pm

I thought they lived in Santa Barbara ? dunno.

In the OP it says the stalker was at their home in Montecito in Santa Barbara.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 2:08 pm

:lol: Whoops. Me and my lack of details. Sorry OP. They did live in BC at one point.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 2:30 pm

Problem with celebrity and royal family stuff is that the only things you know are what the vested interests of the for profit media and the for profit paparazzi present to you through the pipeline of their curated filtering.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 4:48 pm

This might explain the Sussex's anxious attempt to flee the papps

"The royals were reportedly trying to call it a night and head to the private Upper East Side residence where they were staying without revealing the location to the press and paparazzi."
https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 3517446c8c

I find it a little distasteful watching Piers Morgan scoffing at the allegations and smirking given he also (contradictorily) claimed Harry's mother Diana (whom Morgan said was his friend) was unfairly hounded by the press which he blamed for her death back when worked as a reporter for the Daily Mirror in 1997.

This is of course not the case, people have short memories
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... ince-harry

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:17 am

cyberdad wrote:

But whom?

More curious is how it will look when the son of the King is killed in a car chase when his father won't pay for their security

I find the article a little misleading, as it leaves to the very end some important qualifying statements made by the cab driver. No one has to be lying; the pieces can be fit together.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 2:09 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

But whom?

I find the article a little misleading, as it leaves to the very end some important qualifying statements made by the cab driver. No one has to be lying; the pieces can be fit together.

If the driver is to be believed then Harry is outright lying. Why would he risk his already tattered reputation by making up lies if there were other witnesses?