Do you get along best with other ND people?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 10:38 am

I get along more with ND people because I feel that I can be myself around them. I also don't feel the need to impress them.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 5:36 pm

I would say I get along with compassionate folks the best. Similar to what Edna said.

I'm a feeling and often insecure person and if that is "weak" in their world and they do not suffer weakness, then I'm out. My husband on the other hand sees the power from it that I wield. He's not ASD; I would say ND something but we don't know, so maybe he's NT with extraordinary circumstances. We get along like Benny and Joon.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 11:57 am

I am what someone described as an assertive NT, but I am also overly sensitive. I feel drained if I have to interact with other NTs too much. I find autistic people to be wonderfully kind and relaxing to be around. Most of them do not push me to be more friendly than my batteries can stand. They are also more socially forgiving when I say or do something awkward.

albertsamuel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2023, 4:37 pm

I can say this: indeed, there was always something odd/peculiar/eccentric about people I was getting along best with. Are they ND? I don't really know. But this would make sense, especially taking into account the Double Empathy Problem.

Imagine this: you spend your life hearing from other people that there is something wrong with you and basically you are a kind of a bad person because you:

- don't keep the eye contact the way they like it
- say things that apparently break some social rules
- say things that don't break any social rules, but with a bad tone/face expression, so you break the social rules anyway
- etc.

and then you meet this person at school, work or wherever who does not look at you that much when you speak (probably concentrating on what you have to say) and says something like "All these social rules suck, it would be much easier if everybody was just saying the truth all the time". Obviously that is the person you get along with, right?

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:27 pm

Yes.

My small group of friends are all on the spectrum as well.

Though I wasn't intentionally seeking nd people.out specifically. We all have similar.interests.

I wouldn't be opposed.to having friends who were nt.