Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2023, 4:25 am

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 3:32 pm

In this thread we have discussed both bigotry against a genre that came from the black and what we call today LBGQTIA communities and over commercialization as reasons for the anti disco backlash.

This does not meant authenticity did not break through on occasion. A prime example is Sylvester from 1978

The Ritchie Family in their 1976 hit “The Best Disco in Town” celebrated disco hits up until that point in time.

A popular trend during the disco era was discoizing songs from older genres.

Georgio Moroder has been mentioned. He invented Eurodisco which was more pop less soul and gospel influenced then the American kind. This 1975 song was the first Eurodisco hit

Since this is an Autism forum we can’t forget the Star Wars theme

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 4:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I often hear/read some of these artists get referred to as Funk instead of Disco. I guess the terminology can vary by area or certain circles/groups.

Disco grew out of funk, there's definitely overlap between the two styles as a result. Soul also overlaps pretty heavily with early disco. An example might be the Theme from Shaft.

Disco and Funk were parallel strains pf 70's dance music that both evolved out of Sixties soul.

Funk evolved out of the hard edged gritty southern Memphis/Muscle Shoals type soul like Sam and Dave, and James Brown. Disco out of the soft sounding glitzy Motown, and Philadelphia, styles of soul (the Temps, the Tops, the Supremes, et al).

Some say disco got started with Black deejays in Black gay clubs in the Sixties would splice soul songs together to maintain a constant dance beat.

When the Brothers Gibb could no longer mine their "clone of the Beatles" schtick at then end of the Sixties they took to studying Philadelphia style soul- the rhythm of the tires clicking under his car while barry gibb drove across a Bridge over the Delaware River in Phillie became the basis of the song "Jive Talking".

Towards the end of the Seventies when disco became unfairly stigmatized some disco bands ( like Niles Rogers and LeChic) took to labeling themselves as "funk" to avoid the stigma.

And of course there was a lot of actual cross pollination between the two genres.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 4:53 pm

KitLily wrote:
Of course what we should have all said to the OP was:

Yessir, I Can Boogie!

:lol: :lol:

The OP is a "miss", and not a "sir". But you got the right idea.

Yes, miss...

we all can get down...and boogie oogie oogie! :D
====

And top of that...

We want the funk!

Gotta have that funk!

We need the funk.

Give up the funk!

RhodeIslandAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2023, 5:02 pm

There were a few disco songs that I liked, and probably everybody can say that. But I tended to hate both the musical style and the very concept of the disco. I saw most of it as canned, cranked out music, far more Tin Pan Alley, than Tin Pan Alley was. At lest Tin Pan Alley actually cranked songs out that were decent stuff. But most of all what I hated about disco is that it was promoting discos, and killing off the clubs that were the development league for tomorrows musicians.

There was time around 1977 where disco seemed to be dying out, and then THAT movie came out and gave it a new lease on life, and if anything, I found disco music even more annoying.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 11:03 am

Depends how tactfully it's presented. This one's pretty good, and a slight tangent but not really - I had friends who spun disco house (Positiva, Fresh Fruit, etc.) back in my early 20's so I've got a good place for that as well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 12:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Of course what we should have all said to the OP was:

Yessir, I Can Boogie!

:lol: :lol:

The OP is a "miss", and not a "sir". But you got the right idea.

Yes, miss...

we all can get down...and boogie oogie oogie! :D

Yes, I was making a joke based on the song 'Yessir I Can Boogie' by the group Baccara, in response to the question 'Disco, who else likes it?' I don't know a song that would apply to this question using the words 'Yes miss'. Maybe there is one somewhere?

So the joke went:
Their question: 'Disco, who else likes it?'
My answer: 'Yessir, I can boogie.'

Here is the song, for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wDFCM7iSI

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 2:32 am

I like to do a disco dance every day to keep fit and cheer myself up. This is the YouTube guy I like. He is an Australian truck driver but he likes disco dancing:

Quote:
Peter Gaston - Dance Movies Music Art@petergaston-danceandmore
Sharing the things I love. Trying to make the world a happier place 1 simple disco dance at a time! A sprinkling of movie moments, music, art and randomness also added to the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/@petergaston-da ... ore/videos

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 10:26 pm

Love Disco , I grew up in the era of disco good music to dance to.

nomad48
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Oct 2023, 10:49 pm

I really love some of it, Giorgio Moroder, Donna Summer, France Joli, Dee D Jackson,Paradise Express, Voyage, Eruption, Amii Stewart, etc..the euro electronic rock/disco sound.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 11:06 am

I would like to bring to your attention a new PBS American Experience documentary ‘The War on Disco’. All the things we have discussed in this thread are explored. You can get it on demand on your TV if you have that capability. You can stream by going to the PBS website linked below by creating an account or by linking to your cable provider. I do not know if you can view it outside of the United States.

The War on Disco - The Explosive Sound That Ignited a Culture War

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman