Why put people in groups or label them as something ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 2:41 pm

I strangely seem to find myself hating being put into groups (such as age groups (young, middle-age, old) health groups based on your age and stuff like that) because I seem to feel as though they ''exclude'' people from other people and make people feel like they are not able to do something anymore. I mean if an older person wants to be as energetic as someone younger and still healthy to do so why not them carry on until they get to the point where they can't do it anymore ? I remember when someone was playing tennis at Wimbledon at 50.

I remember a bus pass I had for 18 to 25s or 30s or TV shows like Love Island which I never watched who would only have people on there between 18 and 29. They stopped having people on there who were 30 and over 30. I remember someone talking about there being a Love Island show for older people but that also excluded those in their 30s. I seem to have a strange issue with the fact that I'll see some health posters asking those of certain age groups to have health checks without realising that age is just a number and that those numbers on there because its precautionary measure to make sure you health, it doesn't mean you are old now when just the day before you were still in the young age group.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 2:50 pm

Grouping things by shared traits seems pretty fundamental to how people think and understand the world around them.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 3:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Grouping things by shared traits seems pretty fundamental to how people think and understand the world around them.

Why is that ?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 3:14 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I'll see some health posters asking those of certain age groups to have health checks without realising that age is just a number

When it comes to the health of the human body, no, age is not "just a number". In a loose generalized sense that could be said, but, no, in terms of health matters, age is not "just a number".

And age is especially not a number when talking health issues pre and post puberty.

Bone growth plate activity is a physiological activity in children and teens which 60 year old folks like me do not and will not have.

Cardiovascular disease, dementia, osteoporosis are far more likely at 85 than at 25.

Dental issues will be different in children who still have baby teeth and for teens and adults.

Endocrine-disrupting environmental and industrial chemicals are going to affect pre-puberty children far differently than they will affect the 60 year old crowd that I'm in.

And the list goes on at length.

Wear and tear on the body as time passes is a much bigger and far more common issue for the senior citizen crowd than the pre-teen crowd.

:arrow:

As for the health check advertising, it is well known in US and UK that the under 40 crowd ignore health matters and in part because of what seems to be an "I'm young and invincible and will live forever; only old people get sick and die and I'm nowhere near old so that can't happen to me." operating schema.

Hey cool, Google pretty near instantly found a reference to that! "About 88,200,000 results (0.41 seconds)" :D
And I see a typo in it.

Brits ignore health issues thinking they're 'too young' to worry, study finds

A study of 2,000 people found in four admitted to having ignored symptoms of potentially serious health issues as they didn't feel they were 'old enough' to need to be concerned

By Gemma Francis

21:45, 28 Jan 2021

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... g-23404712

Quote:
Brits don't start to take their health seriously until they approach the age of 40, according to new research.

A study of 2,000 adults found 42 per cent only start taking more care from the age of 39 as they felt less energetic, while one in five started to feel breathless going upstairs.

Others became more concerned after reaching a 'milestone birthday' (20 per cent), having a doctor comment on their wellbeing (nine per cent) or when a family member fell ill or passed away (16 per cent).

It also emerged 28 per cent of adults believe they need to take their health more seriously than they currently do, with 31 per cent wishing they had done so while they were younger.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 3:25 pm

chris1989 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why is that ?

You might need to direct that question towards an evolutionary psychologist or someone who's an expert in a related field.

The best answer I can give is because that's how human brains (and almost certainly other animal's brains) work.

Knowing that food is a category that many different items fall into is a pretty useful skill, no?
Knowing us from them is another vital survival trait for an animal.

Etc, etc.

Thinking in that way seems to be at the core of how the world needs to be understood, which means we're predisposed to viewing other parts of the world in that manner.

When it comes to health concerns, age isn't just a number. As we age different parts of our bodies change, hormone levels change, etc. College age males rarely, if ever, experience prostate issues (for example).

I think you're interpreting the inclusion of age in public health campaigns too black and white. Obviously one's concerns don't increase because they've had a birthday, but certain issues tend to be more relevant for people in certain age ranges.

As for energy levels, people's maximum oxygen absorption diminishes as they age. Someone who's young and unfit can become much more fit, someone who's upper limit is permanently diminished (because of aging) will have a lower ceiling even if they're overall more fit than the younger couch potato.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 3:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why is that ?

You might need to direct that question towards an evolutionary psychologist or someone who's an expert in a related field.

Sociology has looked at the grouping and labeling behavior thing for a long time.

And right after mentioning sociology, I'm going to post this look at labeling posted by a genetic disease foundation for a genetic disease which affects only genetic females.
:arrow: NOTE: as well as age, genetic gender affects health too, and even more differently than age differences do.

Quote:
The Power of Labels

Posted on July 13, 2021 by skylarstarnes

3 Comments

Turner Syndrome (TS) and other chronic conditions can become a large part of one’s identity, but the Turner Syndrome Foundation (TSF wants) individuals with TS to know that they are so much more than their diagnosis!
How Labels Work

Labels reflect how people think about others and themselves. They not only influence how a personal identity is created but also allow for recognition that others have different qualities. They aid people in understanding differences in needs, culture, and personalities. Labels can also reflect positive characteristics, set useful expectations, and provide meaningful goals. At the same time, labeling can create misunderstandings and stereotypes. Whether good or bad, labeling has an important influence on identity and society.

Positive Effects

Despite their usual negative reputation, labels are not always a bad thing. There are many positive effects of labeling. Labels can allow people to find a sense of belonging and power with people with whom they relate. By taking a label that was once viewed as negative and reclaiming it, these groups are able to reestablish their power.

Support for people with specific labels can be found more easily. By accepting the label as a person with TS, the individual can find a community that understands the challenges they are facing. They can find others who can offer moral support or advice on dealing with symptoms and challenges.

Negative Effects

While there are positive effects to labels, there are also negative effects. Labels can shape expectations that are set for other people, creating stereotypes. These stereotypes can result in unrealistic expectations or expecting less from someone despite what they are capable of. For example, someone could expect a person who is Asian to be good at math, even if they aren’t. This could also lead someone to think that a person who is disabled can’t have a job.

Research has shown labeling someone with a mental disorder can lead to a negative outcome, including feelings of rejection and discrimination. All of this can lead to the worsening of the mental disorder and the person’s overall mental health.

Long-term Effects

One of the long-term effects of labeling is that the label becomes the source of identification. According to the paper The Impact of Labeling in Childhood on the Sense of Self of Young Adults, by Rosemary Solomon, “stigma associated with the label [results] in isolation/rejection from society, lowered expectations, self-blame/guilt and emotional distress.” Solomon also explained that, as a result of a negative label given to a person by a family member or friend, they developed strained relationships.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 4:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why is that ?

The best answer I can give is because that's how human brains (and almost certainly other animal's brains) work.

Knowing that food is a category that many different items fall into is a pretty useful skill, no?
Knowing us from them is another vital survival trait for an animal.

Etc, etc.

Thinking in that way seems to be at the core of how the world needs to be understood, which means we're predisposed to viewing other parts of the world in that manner.

When it comes to health concerns, age isn't just a number. As we age different parts of our bodies change, hormone levels change, etc. College age males rarely, if ever, experience prostate issues (for example).

I think you're interpreting the inclusion of age in public health campaigns too black and white. Obviously one's concerns don't increase because they've had a birthday, but certain issues tend to be more relevant for people in certain age ranges.

As for energy levels, people's maximum oxygen absorption diminishes as they age. Someone who's young and unfit can become much more fit, someone who's upper limit is permanently diminished (because of aging) will have a lower ceiling even if they're overall more fit than the younger couch potato.

As a Cognitive Psychologist, I can say it is called "concept formation." When we recognize the traits that a group shares, it helps us to quickly recognize, categorize, and know what to expect out of objects which we encounter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_learning

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:15 pm

A part of me feels that reminding people of a certain age to have certain types of health checks maybe a good thing but if you are someone with health anxiety, it might just make anxiety worse. The thing is with me though I don't worry that I have something wrong with me physically right now but I worry about it happening in the future straight away after getting to a certain age. I also keep telling myself ''Well, when does this worrying about health stop? Because in ten years time I might start worrying about being 50 because I saw poster up telling men aged 50 and over to start having checks on their prostate.''

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2023, 5:50 pm

Categorizing people is only an expedient, if not lazy way to make things easier for institutions to sort people's qualities. Standardized testing and compulsory education for instance began as a way for militaries to sort out those who could not read up to a level considered standard. If you don't really care about labels or norms, I generally say, more power to ya', you're doing the most Punk Rock think thing you can do.