Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:28 am

Billboard

Quote:
The “Chandelier” singer revealed her autism spectrum diagnosis on a recent episode of Rob Has a Podcast

I’m on the spectrum and I’m in recovery. There’s a lot of things,” Sia told Survivor contestant Carolyn Wiger during the podcast. “Being in recovery and also knowing about which neuroatypicality you may have or may not have, I think one of the greatest things is nobody can ever know you and love you when you’re filled with secrets and living in shame.”

She added, “For 45 years I was like, ‘I’ve got to go put my human suit on.’ Only in the last two years have I become fully, fully myself.”

Back in 2020, Sia came under fire from the autism community for casting a neurotypical actress, Maddie Ziegler, to portray an autistic teenager in her directorial film debut Music. “Grrrrrrrrrr. F–kity f–k why don’t you watch my film before you judge it? FURY,” the singer tweeted after dropping a teaser that introduced Ziegler’s non-verbal character, who communicates to the world through song and dance.

Autism part begins at 13:30

Wrong Planet thread about the ‘Music’ controversy

I did not see that one coming.

Most of the media has an article about this. Despite the headlines she did not actually say she was diagnosed. Usually when somebody comes out one can tell the person looks serious, the words are carefully chosen, this was just casually thrown out there. In fairness the whole podcast was disjointed and conversation centered on Sia’s conversation this Survivor contestant. I don’t know what to think.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 31 May 2023, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:44 am

People on Twitter are big mad about it too

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:47 am

Nothing irritates autistic people like other autistics.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:53 am

Just another celeb looking for attention.

Celeb attention = new roles + money

Ironically I mentioned her earlier without knowing anything about this release

Maybe I’m psychic lol

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 9:04 am

carlos55 wrote:

Maybe I’m psychic lol

The thought that we are being played definitely has entered my mind. But plausibly Autism could explain her creating more and more hostility every times she speaks about autism. Publicity stunts usually involves press conference, photo ops, not some dudes podcast. I am staying with I don’t know what to think.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2023, 4:04 pm

Something smells fishy. Like its a positive PR stunt to regain her reputation.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:32 pm

Mod. note - this post was moved from "News and Current Events".

Sia reveals she's on the autism spectrum, 2 years after she was criticized for the portrayal of autistic people in her movie 'Music'

https://news.yahoo.com/sia-reveals-shes ... 42196.html

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 2:47 am

Didn't Sia make an entire tone deaf movie on autism and when autistics complained she started publically going off on a tirade with them?

I find her a bit creepy anyway. In all honesty, she does have quirky treats that indicate autism and I wouldn't be surprised if she's autistic but whether the autistic community should accept her with open arms is another question all together

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 3:30 am

Nades wrote:
Didn't Sia make an entire tone deaf movie on autism and when autistics complained she started publically going off on a tirade with them?

She sure did
Quote:
Sia plans to release a film titled, obviously, Music. Starring Kate Hudson and Dance Moms alum Maddie Ziegler, the film will serve as the singer’s directorial debut and is set for a limited IMAX release. The official synopsis doesn’t offer much information on the plot, but says that the story “is a wholly original exploration of the healing power of love and the importance of community.” Sia’s camp released a trailer for the movie, which shows Ziegler portraying an autistic teenager. The trailer faced swift, rightful criticism from the disabled community, which was quick to point out that Ziegler—one of Sia’s long-time creative collaborators—is not autistic, making her characterization offensive to those who are.

While many would see this as a great opportunity to listen to disabled advocates (many of whom have been discussing the issue with this kind of casting rather publicly for years), Sia chose to double down rather dickishly firmly on her choice to cast Ziegler and proceeded to list all of the other representation points she managed to score in the process. “I cast thirteen neuroatypical people, three trans folk, and not as f*****g prostitutes or drug addicts but s as doctors, nurses and singers,” she tweeted. “f*****g sad nobody’s even seen the dang movie. My heart has always been in the right place.”

Sia continued to respond to a number of people and tweet indignantly, mainly to lament that her good intentions and “years of research” are being overlooked in favor of calling out blatant ableism. Seriously, won’t somebody think of the poor, defensive director?

Grrrrrrrrrr. Fuckity f**k why don’t you watch my film before you judge it? FURY.
— sia (@Sia) November 20, 2020

She went on to explain that she consulted Autism Speaks, a rather polarizing advocacy organization that sponsors autism research and spreads awareness. This caused a fresh wave of concern as the organization has been heavily criticized for potentially harmful language used in reference with autism. Sia says she was not aware that the group was viewed as problematic

Autism speaks came on board long after the film was finished, four years in fact. I had no idea it was such a polarizing group!
— sia (@Sia) November 20, 2020

Though the response has been largely negative, some of her fans, including a few who are neuroatypical themselves, did come to her defense. She also claims that a couple of autistic consultants advised her to cast Ziegler, as they felt that the choice would be more humane towards those who, like the friend she modeled the character after, found the filming process too stressful.

There was also a scene in the film with prone restraint being used on the Autistic character which said she would take down.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 7:29 am

Nades wrote:

I find her a bit creepy anyway. In all honesty, she does have quirky treats that indicate autism and I wouldn't be surprised if she's autistic but whether the autistic community should accept her with open arms is another question all together

Didn't you know we have poor social skills, so clearly making an offensive movie about autism and grooming that teen are now justified. *eyeroll*

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 4:03 pm

The same woman with the annoying voice who sings that bloody irritating song Chandeliers that sounds too much like Un Bel di Vedremo?

Kaioken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2023, 4:01 am

carlos55 wrote:

Maybe I’m psychic lol

Yes, Autism seems to have become very fashionable, and is a good way for celebs to garner attention.

Most of these celebrities don’t actually have it. They have personality disorders misdiagnosed as Autism.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:33 am

Kaioken wrote:
Most of these celebrities don’t actually have it. They have personality disorders misdiagnosed as Autism.

Of course they couldn't possibly be autistic, some rando on the internet claims they don't.
Of course their doctor can't diagnose anything properly, you gotta trust some rando on the internet.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:49 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Kaioken wrote:

Of course they couldn't possibly be autistic, some rando on the internet claims they don't.
Of course their doctor can't diagnose anything properly, you gotta trust some rando on the internet.

Some may play up the symptoms or google about autism that can lead to false memories.

It’s not that hard, we are dealing with adults at the tip of the mildest end of a spectrum answering subjective questions.

Of course in the US everything is private healthcare, if your rich you can pay someone to tell you what you want to hear.

Not directly accusing sia of doing this but for celebs in general…

- George Bernie Shaw

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:53 am

carlos55 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Kaioken wrote:

Some may play up the symptoms or google about autism that can lead to false memories.

It’s not that hard, we are dealing with adults at the tip of the mildest end of a spectrum answering subjective questions.

Of course in the US everything is private healthcare, if your rich you can pay someone to tell you what you want to hear.

Not directly accusing sia of doing this but for celebs in general…

It just comes off as trying to gatekeep strangers that you have no significant experience with, with zero credentials.

It happens with other sorts of people we'd like to not be associated with too; someone insists on digging in that they must have some other diagnosis because they couldn't possibly be autistic, because believe me bro, I'm an uncredentialed expert on this.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kaioken

02 Jun 2023, 9:07 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Kaioken wrote:

Why should we listen to you then? You’re a rando on the internet