Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tim the Enchanter
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2023, 4:35 pm

What helped me most was working over 10 years in customer service. You learn very quickly what is and isn't okay to say. Nowadays I behave as if I am representing a company.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 3:57 am

I feel I don't always fit in here though. Well I do regarding emotions but not regarding interests or background. Usually when I make a thread about an interest of mine it goes unnoticed and gets no responses. Also it seems that a majority of people here weren't diagnosed in childhood like I was, even people of my age and younger. And it seems that the majority of people here were brought up in abusive families, which is another thing I can't relate to because I was brought up in a loving and supportive family.

Lackingincaffeine
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2023, 4:30 pm

Really good question, as it's impossible to ascertain how in general others feel.

I used to think (still do sometimes) that I was born into the wrong era. I would take a guess that there are many others who feel the same, as technology / human society has evolved a lot very quickly, whereas the human species itself has probably not.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jul 2023, 10:32 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
All jokes aside I knew from the time I was about three years old, because I didn't have the same emotional reactions they did (getting excited or upset about certain things), and I didn't want to do what they were doing. Everyone I knew liked blue skies, sunshine, beaches, suntanning, having big get-togethers with friends or family, watching TV, falling in love with movie stars or celebrities, wanting to be rich and have nice stuff, etc. They seemed genuinely motivated by all that stuff. All I ever wanted to do was read a book on a beanbag chair during a thunderstorm. It hasn't changed, either.

Most people I know changed their personality or their tastes as they grew up. They changed their hair styles and hair colours, their clothing styles, their favourite foods, their favourite things, and quite often even their values. Nope. For me I've been the same person I was at age 14 for 40 years now, except that I can drive a car and I get to pay taxes.
I relate to a lot of this. I always felt like an outsider who couldn't understand or relate to others & others couldn't undeerstand or relate to me. I feel like I'm from an alternate universe & some words & actions can have very different meanings. It seems to me like most people have goals & dreams in life but I never really did. I just wanted to be done with school till I quit being forced to go after graduating high-school. Only real dreams I had were being in a serious long term relationship which I'm very thankfully am. I was a very hard worker when I was working but I always been a major slacker with life & at home. I guess stoners can relate a bit to that but I never 1ce smoked pot, did any illegal drugs, or gotten drunk in my life thou some people thought I was a stoner & I had major issues with my 1st girlfriend being one. People cant figure me out & different people can have very different & even opposite opinions & impressions of me. I would think that I have multiple personality disorder but I'm generally the same person who doesn't change a whole lot & some people with controdictory opions of me known me in the same envionment at the same time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 1:01 am

Tim the Enchanter wrote:
What helped me most was working over 10 years in customer service. You learn very quickly what is and isn't okay to say. Nowadays I behave as if I am representing a company.

Same tbh.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD