Interest in learning a musical instrument...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AiMaiMii
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2007, 12:35 pm

For the past three years I’ve been obsessed over “rhythm” type videogames: DDR, Pump IT Up, IIDX, Guitar Freaks, etc. Lately I’ve been thinking about picking up a musical instrument. Considering the type of music I listen to, I was thinking of electric guitar or maybe those synthiser piano type keyboard (I listen to mainly Jpop, Videogame music, classical, and stuff like Rhapsody/symphonic metal). I was wondering how one would go about learning a musical instrument. I have ZERO music backround, unless you want to count the music games I have played.

I'm sure there are some musicaly talented users that could give a curious person an idea of what to do. I've read some people teach themselve, but others have a teacher. How hard would it be for teaching oneself? A lot of stuff on my mind...I've wanted to make a post like this for awhile, but I can't seem to think of anything coherent on what to ask. As I said before, I'm a bit intimidated since I don't really know about music, except what I like. ^^;;

Any ideas?

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2007, 12:50 pm

I'm self taught on guitar. It really depends on the type of person you are - some learn better with an instructor, others may find that intrusive. I had a chart with showed how to form the chords on the fretboard. From there i just memorized them and off I went. Learning chords is not too hard. If you have any friends/family who play instruments, they are a good resource and can help you along or at least teach you some songs.

Good luck!

PS. I'm hopeless on a keyboard. I've tried to play but it requires a different kind of co-ordination that guitar.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 12:53 pm

Well first of all, you have to learn how to read music. For a musician like myself, it's simple, but to a newcomer, it is going to take some time to learn. Second, I would find the instrument you like and a teacher who can teach you on that instrument.

If you're going to learn a musical instrument, don't expect to be good on it overnight. Music takes YEARS of practice. I've been playing the bass clarinet for 9 years now and I STILL have much to learn. Even before the bass clarinet, I played the clarinet for 2 years and the piano for five years. I suck on both the piano and the clarinet. Anyway, I'm just saying that so that you don't feel down or give up when you feel like you will never get it. I've said that to myself a whole bunch of times.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2007, 12:58 pm

Again, it depend on what you want to accomplish - I never actually learned to read music (many musicians never do - I've read that Paul McCartney still doesn't to this day). It also hinders me from learning anything too complicated. Like Yoshie777 said, it takes a lot of patience!

nickname323
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2007, 1:20 pm

If your going to play guitar you don't need to know how to read music. Just tablature.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2007, 6:25 pm

I have been playing guitar for about 6/7 years. Whilst I can play a few tunes, I still cant get my head around all the notes when it comes to compsition.

Piano seems more logical to me.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2007, 7:07 pm

There are many ways to approach learning an instrument. As Quirk said - it really depends on what you want to do.

I'm self-taught on keyboards, bouzouki, guitar and a few other instruments - and haven't ever learned how to read music or used tablature. I also found structured lessons to be limiting and found myself learning more by just experimenting and trying to get the sounds in my head out into reality, or improvising and just seeing what happens. I mostly have been interested in making my own music, not playing music that is already written - so I think that's why I can get away with that. I have "played by ear" a lot though when I did want to learn bits of other songs sometimes.

If you want to play music that is already written then it probably would be helpful to learn to read music or tablature. But you also may be able to "play by ear" if you have the talent.

For structured learning you could go to an instructor / class but these days there are a lot of other options for that too like video tutorials, online tutorials, and computer software. Since I haven't gone that route myself I'm not sure what to recommend.

One bit of advice that will always apply no matter what method you use to learn: play and practice often!

AiMaiMii

20 Aug 2007, 6:41 am

So it appears if I wanted to try to start off by learning myself, I can try. I guess my main hurdle is to convince myself to buy an instrument. Putting time into learning and practicing is something that intimidates me, but putting the money needed to start something I'm unsure if I'll like, is frieghting. From articles I've read, it seems one needs to spend around $300~400 for something to start out with, for electric guitar/amp. Maybe I could get away with aucustic, but the type of music I rather play would be on an electric guitar. I wish I knew someone who played for I could go into a shop without being attacked by sales clerks that want me to buy anything. Afriad I might get taken advantage of, being new and curious and all. ^^;;

Any suggestions on what to do? At this point, I'm interested in playing, but it's something I'm not totaly sold into doing yet. I'm mainly interested in playing songs from videogames and some other popular music that I like. This is one of those times I wish I had more friends to help me decide. ~sigh~

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 12:27 pm

I think DDR is more rhythm than melody, so maybe you'd like the drum set or something along the lines of that? I play in band, but being a flute there is sometimes a beat to it, but for the most part it's calming and tranquil. I also play piccolo, but if I have any advice on that instrument, don't play it unless you want to be stuck at the edge of the row XD it's so tiny, but so loud that it always gets a few grumbles from my band mates :3

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2007, 6:36 pm

Yeah there's really no way around spending some money to get started. But you could maybe buy used gear or possibly rent to keep the cost down at first. A basic starter setup with guitar and amp shouldn't cost more than $200-$250 from what I've seen. You can get an okay amp for around $100 and probably a starter guitar for about the same.

Some instrument stores can be intimidating if they are staffed with music snobs. Especially small independent shops seem to have this problem sometimes. It is always a gamble because sometimes you'll get a really nice salesperson and sometimes they'll be snooty. What I would recommend is going to a Guitar Center - which is a big musical instrument superstore chain - they have stores all over the US. Generally they have a consistently friendly and non-pressuring attitude there, from my experience. They have a huge selection of gear and can probably help you pick something out.

As for what to get - there are probably guitar fanatics here who can give you better recommendations than I. I really don't keep up with all the gear available out there. I have an Ibanez guitar and Fender amp and have been happy with those.

You might also want to look at keyboards since you say you have an interest in video game music / classical / and symphonic metal. I grew up playing cheap Casio keyboards and even though they were basic and had a cheesy sound I really learned a lot playing them. Nowadays they probably sound a lot better for the same amount of money. If you do buy a keyboard, find one with a MIDI input / output so you can plug it into a computer and do some sequencing / composing.

I hope this is somewhat helpful! Feel free to ask more questions...

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 4:02 am

If the price is bugging you, get a cheap whatever to start with just to see if you like it. Don't be put off by poor sound though because that doesn't nessesarily mean you're bad at it. I personally like playing the keyboard because with all the different sounds and settings, it is very versatile. I am also a self-taught guitarist and I play the fife, tin whistle, banjo, ukelele and harmonica! You need to explore!

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2007, 6:52 am

I'm not near as musical as the other posters hear but I've been playing bass for a year now and i really enjoy it

what i did when i was first starting was to go to a teacher for the one lesson so i could get a rough feel for the instrument to see if i liked it and find out if i liked the teacher ... that might be a good ida for you especially if you haven't decided on an instrument

although it was my mum who made me do that, i wanted to teach myself but I'm glad i didn't i don't think i have the dedication ... and a couple of my friends have tried teaching themselves various instruments and not really gotten anywhere

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 8:42 am

I am not an expert at playing an instrument by any means. I jumped around from instrument to instrument growing up... stuck with drums for a while.

Now I am also teaching myself bass guitar and enjoy it. I also took some classes on music theory at my university.

The biggest obstacle for playing an instrument is just being obsessed about it. Just appreciating and enjoying what you can play, but with a constant drive to play new things... get better. I think this comes when you really like the way an instrument sounds.

One problem with teachers is that I find I go in bursts of playing, and then stop and barely pick up my instrument for a month or so. If I had a teacher, he would probably be complaining that I haven't been practicing.... and I haven't improved. But I know I haven't... and I am okay with that. When I do pick it up again, I'll be dedicated and probably play it 3-4 hours a day again.

The motivation to play has to come from you though, I don't think a teacher can help with that much. Unless the thought of spending money on instruction and throwing it away... is enough motivation. I don't think it is.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.