Blech, should I just work somewhere I don't want to?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 11:05 pm

Well, it would seem walmart pays ok, at least better than my current job. I don't really want to work there, but it could help my financial situation if they do actually pay 15+ an hour which seems like they do at least where I live. But idk should I 'sell my soul' just basically for the money and idk maybe I could get more experience with various skills there that could be useful for other jobs in the future. I am a little worried a lot of positions say full time, and not sure if I could commit to 40 hours a week or more, but my boyfriend was saying he looked up that a lot of times its more like 30 hours which maybe I could do like maybe minimal 'full time' wouldn't be so bad, that would probably get me kicked off the SSI, but I would not mind that as I would then not have limits on how much money I can save in my savings account.

and well that's the post.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 11:13 pm

Are you still working at the gaming cafe?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 11:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Are you still working at the gaming cafe?

Well yeah I would like that job, but does not seem like they are still offering it currently. Idk I went over there for an interview, seemed there was something going on and the woman who was going to interview me apologized about the inconvenience but said they'd need to reschedule...so I tried to set that up with email communication, idk that is how they were doing it and the whole thing just kind of got cancelled seemed like on their end some things had come up and they may not even be able to offer the job anytime soon. I will keep an eye out for if they contact me again or if another job ad comes up from there, but in the meantime I could just use a job that pays better than the current one.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 11:39 pm

Oh no! I'm sorry it didn't work out. I assumed you had already started. It's so frustrating when stuff like that happens.
As for working at Walmart, are there other perks from SSI you'd lose, like healthcare or special tax rates?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 12:06 am

Better to have a job you do not like than to have no job at all.

That may seem like I am not saying much, but unemployment really sucks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 12:31 am

if a person has any NT in them at all, the job could give them a chance to network and find opportunities, but that never worked for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 1:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Oh no! I'm sorry it didn't work out. I assumed you had already started. It's so frustrating when stuff like that happens.
As for working at Walmart, are there other perks from SSI you'd lose, like healthcare or special tax rates?

I'd likely lose the SSI payments as I'd be making too much to qualify, but apparently, I could keep my Medicaid. And I could easily get the SSI payments reinstated if I need to later on.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 1:43 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I'd likely lose the SSI payments as I'd be making too much to qualify, but apparently, I could keep my Medicaid. And I could easily get the SSI payments reinstated if I need to later on.

"easily get the SSI payments reinstated"? Are you sure? Have you looked into this in enough detail to be sure?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 6:46 am

I've worked at Walmart as a 53 year old grown-ass man. It really isn't bad. What is your problem with it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 9:27 pm

rse92 wrote:
I've worked at Walmart as a 53 year old grown-ass man. It really isn't bad. What is your problem with it?

I've heard bad things about it in the past, so just figured it wasn't a good place to work. But I have heard of people having good experiences so maybe it just depends on the specific store.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 9:34 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

"easily get the SSI payments reinstated"? Are you sure? Have you looked into this in enough detail to be sure?

yes, they just sent me a form about working while on SSI(not sure why they keep sending that, as I am already working part time). But either way it specifically says I wouldn't have to re-apply for SSI or anything to get the payments back, I am sure I'd have to explain how the disability is interfering with my ability to work but that's not very hard, just more of a hassle than anything. That said I don't really plan on having to go back on it, but it is good to know if it came to that I could.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm

Alright, well slightly new plan, Targets around here start at 16 an hour, a dollar more than walmart so I am going to apply there first. If that doesn't work then wal-mart and some of the grocery stores around here will be the next ones I look into.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:13 pm

mebbe chat up somebody that works at both places and see which is a friendlier place first? :idea:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 9:37 pm

Well sent in the application to Target, so I will see if I hear back.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 12:05 am

with any luck at all they should hire you on the spot.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 11:57 pm

Well I heard back, but yeah they don't do in person interviews so they have a sort of weird process, where I have to give on camara answers to interview questions. Not like talking to another person on their end, like written prompts I have to verbally answer with a device with a Camra where they can see and hear me that they will review later. So I can either do it with the webcam on my laptop or my phone camra.

I mean I get it they want to see the person they are hiring, but so why couldn't they still do an in person interview over video chat instead of that weird way, but whatever. BUt I was worried about the questions so I looked up online and found a coulple pages with some good info on what kind of things to say or to bring up for it. Also talked to my boyfriend to get his perspective and any tips he had as well as encouragement since I struggle a bit with self confidence. So now I feel better about it and I think I can give good answers, but if I don't get the job so be it. Then I just keep trying for other jobs.

But yeah I got a call from target today and they mentioned a couple open positions that seem like stuff I could do and they sent me the link for that weird interview and said to just do it as soon as I am able, so I will try for tomorrow but may only get as far as preparing myself and have to do the actual interview thing over the weekend. But anyways I could maybe get the job, depending on how well I do with the interview questions. And idk I think I would kind of like working there, so if I could I would change this thread title to should I try jobs different than what I have done so far...because I realize the current title of this thread comes off as being rather negative. BUt like I think if nothing else I could at least learn some more job skills than I have right now from target, which would help my ongoing resume.