Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 11:33 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
renaeden wrote:
I've had depression since I was a teenager when I was severely bullied at school and ignored at home. It wasn't until my late 20s when I started taking overdoses and going missing for days at a time that I was taken seriously and admitted to hospitals for psychiatric treatment. Many medications were tried and I'm finally on a good one (moclobemide). I've also had ECT which at the time did a good job because I got my sense of humour back, found a partner and got married. The effects wear off though, so I'm left relying on my antidepressant. I've been told by my psychiatrist that I'll be on medication for the rest of my life. That's ok I guess.

Could you do ECT again? It sounds like it worked the first time.
At the time (2006), ECT was used on me as a last resort. I had spent three months in hospital and tried about five different medications, most of which had awful side effects like panic attacks and soaring blood pressure. I was suicidal and wanted to sleep the days away. It was my psychiatrist that suggested ECT.

Often, ECT is used to get a patient to a more functioning level while waiting for an antidepressant medication to kick in, which can take a few weeks. Maintenance ECT can also be done if the patient is at risk of suicidal depression again.

I'm glad to have only needed ECT that one time as it cost me a year's worth of memory. For me, 2005 doesn't exist.

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2023, 1:35 pm

I do the opposite of deal with it, lol.
I just ignore it until it inevitably comes out in angry outbursts (I also have anger issues) and I isolate myself from all my friends! :lol:
I like to think that if I just ignore it'll go away but I'm too self-aware to not know that's denial. Just a temporary solution is to freak out everyone I talk to by oversharing and bringing up my suicidal tendencies.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 3:20 pm

I'm diagnosed with bipolar (among things in my alphabet soup).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2023, 11:57 am

Yes but horrible situational depression from disabling chronic illnesses and having almost no friends(one person I rarely see),almost no social life,no partner.

The disabling chronic illnesses and severe anxiety makes it hard to leave the house mostly.

My worst disabling chronic illnesses are:
Vestibular migraines,SIBO,Silent Reflux(LPR),GERD,asthma.
Which all cause very severe anxiety,panic attacks and depression themselves.

I'm trying out meds again but I can't treat both the physical chronic illnesses and mentally health issues all at the same time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 1:21 am

I've been battling depression since I was in my teens. Dealing with the ignorance of backstabbers seemed to hurry it along. I lose all energy and I dwell on things that the backstabbers do to me. My depressive episodes can really do a number on my nerves and my body. I feel fatigued, I get the shakes and the type of incontinence that I have worsens. I don't know if it's the autism, depression or rejection that does a number on my bowels. All I have to do is make one mistake, perhaps have a meltdown and the person who's usually a woman abandons me and stabs me in the back with her gossip. I can be a shaking mess when that happens.

Poor old man....

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 1:27 am

Randomly --
Situationally or hormonally.

Former is consequence of executive dysfunction, the latter seems a part of PMS.
Both are tricky.

I am trying to figure it out as well.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 9:50 am

I have been in the greatest despair of my life for nearly two years, but it's because of circumstance, and I don't think it's depression, though it has my psychiatrist and therapist very confused, because I appear to be dealing with a very severe depression. But if my circumstances were to change (though I don't think they can) I would be fine. Some would say that counts as depression, and that antidepressant medication would help. But I have never been helped by antidepressants so it's hard to tell. All I know is I can't stand to struggle through day after day.

Rainbowstarsxoxo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2023, 6:00 am

Yes. I suffered with depression since middle school. I was a very lonely child. I often isolated myself.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 8:19 am

bee33 wrote:
I have been in the greatest despair of my life for nearly two years, but it's because of circumstance, and I don't think it's depression, though it has my psychiatrist and therapist very confused, because I appear to be dealing with a very severe depression. But if my circumstances were to change (though I don't think they can) I would be fine. Some would say that counts as depression, and that antidepressant medication would help. But I have never been helped by antidepressants so it's hard to tell. All I know is I can't stand to struggle through day after day.

Your type of depression would be termed 'situational depression' by medical professionals, i.e, that which can be changed by your situation/environment.

If you are unable to change your circumstances though, it is not surprising you have been offered medication.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2024, 4:10 pm

My entire life I think. I have been diagnosed with Cptsd, ADHD, generalized depression, and generalized anxiety. Therapy has been a great help. Learning all of my diagnoses has also helped fill in the gaps of understanding. I am not as depressed but my situation right now is not the best.

Tim the Enchanter
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2024, 1:44 pm

What helps me with depression is going r o the gym and having a cat.