Am I not ''enjoying life'' by not going to more concerts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 6:55 pm

Having had people telling me as well as other people that by not doing things such as going to more concerts and music festivals or going abroad to more places on my own (a bit like someone else telling me that she went abroad on her own and that it made her feel like a different person and wanted to do it again) it makes feel as though we are not ''making the most of the one life we have'' and it makes us feel bad and makes it feel like they are the ones who know better and seemingly come across like they have fun every day and every night and have no anxiety or any other mental health issues like those people who don't go out and about as much as them.

I read that a 28 year old guy said how he felt belittled for never going to a concert and that a friend told him that he ''doesn't know how to enjoy life''. I've only been to three concerts at 15 and 20, two of which were to see a band playing I didn't really like but my dad and grandparents liked and so just went along with them anyway for something to do. I feel like I've wasted life because I still chose to not go and do these things anyway on my own instead of being with people and by doing so it has made me feel the only one, I know that sounds ridiculous that's how I feel.

I can't help feeling this way especially as I have no close friends who can relate to me. I feel that if I were to ask an audience of people the same age as me or younger or older to raise their hands if they felt they haven't done as much things as I have then maybe perhaps I'd feel glad I'm not the only one because when I am out among other people of my age or younger I can never tell who has done more or less of these things than me or achieved more or less things than me.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 7:15 pm

Concerts are over-rated. Huge waste of money, and can even be dangerous. Not saying you shouldn't ever go to any, but those who berate you for not "being like them" are, like I said before... as*holes. The last kind of people you need to be worrying about at 1 in the morning. See, they even got you losing sleep. Those as*holes! Now go to bed! lol

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 7:21 pm

When I was your age (I'm assuming 30 something by your "name") I started thinking those things, but after a while, I decided I could "live" w/o having to "keep up with" others. I just could not, so why waste so much energy worrying about it. When you have time off, go do what YOU want to do. Now, really, get some sleep.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2023, 7:24 pm

concerts are loud and smelly! the cd is usually better :D

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 9:21 am

It is your life, live it how you want. You aren't missing out on much by not going to concerts. If you aren't into them, do what you do enjoy and are into.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 2:32 pm

Would you enjoy going to concerts?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 8:11 pm

Comparing ourselves to other people is always a bad road to go down. You're you, they're them. Do what is important to you, not what other people think should be important. And try not to beat yourself up. Sometimes seemingly simple things can be hard for one reason or another.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 8:34 pm

I used to live next to a large venue for concerts, raves, music festivals, etc. Most of the time, the events were not really worth the hundreds of dollars people spent to attend them. I could listen to them for free on my patio deck, so at least the price was right. But, dealing with the crowd afterward was often the worst part. People would try to use our front yard area as a public toilet (both #1 and #2) depending on how drunk/high they were. There were a few overdoses in the parking lot, two that were fatal that I know of. The security guards had their hands full. Fights are common at those events. I am glad I no longer live near there.

You might think that the fence is greener on the other side, but remember that there is always someone there thinking the same thing about your side of the fence.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 10:51 am

funeralxempire wrote:

I have enjoyed concerts before. I remember going to see pearl jam perform in Hyde park in 2010 with my dad. Since then I haven't really been to any. Probably because I have few friends and the few I have are not going out types, until I was 28 I didn't drive my own car and now that I drive I still find myself on my own initiative not going and booking a ticket to go on my own because I see to think it would be more enjoyable than being on my own. I seem to think that if I did go on my own I probably wouldn't meet anyone because everyone has gone there to watch the gig.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 2:06 pm

chris1989 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I have enjoyed concerts before. I remember going to see pearl jam perform in Hyde park in 2010 with my dad. Since then I haven't really been to any. Probably because I have few friends and the few I have are not going out types, until I was 28 I didn't drive my own car and now that I drive I still find myself on my own initiative not going and booking a ticket to go on my own because I see to think it would be more enjoyable than being on my own. I seem to think that if I did go on my own I probably wouldn't meet anyone because everyone has gone there to watch the gig.

It sounds like you would enjoy life more if you included more concerts, but also that it's a more realistic option than it was before.

There's nothing wrong with going alone and usually you'll end up meeting some single-serving friends while you're there.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2023, 11:24 pm

It depends on whether or not you're the type who enjoys concerts. I've been to a few concerts in my life and I enjoyed them, plus I met some super cool people at the one I went to in August 2022 (I was probably the youngest one there too, as it was the day after I turned 16 and pretty much everyone else I saw there looked like adults).

Of course, I have to wear earbuds at concerts due to my sensory issues, but oh well.

Peavey
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2023, 4:26 pm

There are two musicians playing in my area that I'm seriously tempted to go see, but I'm not going to. I don't like crowds, I don't like loud noises, and I sure don't want them together. I don't think you are missing out at all. At any rate, you will still have your hearing in thirty years if you don't like concerts.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 6:15 pm

Peavey wrote:
At any rate, you will still have your hearing in thirty years if you don't like concerts.

Isn't that what earplugs are for?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 11:17 pm

Peavey wrote:
There are two musicians playing in my area that I'm seriously tempted to go see, but I'm not going to. I don't like crowds, I don't like loud noises, and I sure don't want them together. I don't think you are missing out at all. At any rate, you will still have your hearing in thirty years if you don't like concerts.

Get ear plugs, they help a lot. Crowds are just going to be an issue, but if you've got a seat and are willing to wait it out, it can be worthwhile. Personally, I've had good luck with ones by eargasm with the optional filter. I hear the music, but it's way quieter.

Personally, I've never regretted going to a concert, but it really depends on your tastes and what groups are coming to your town.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 11:20 pm

chris1989 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Lol I saw the who right before the pandemic and they had Eddie Vedder on for a song as a promotional thing for a charity. Liam Gallagher was great, even though he looks like John Oliver without the glasses now.

I wouldn't say you have to go to concerts but, they can be amazing experiences.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 2:31 am

I used to go to concerts, I saw Olivia Newton-John when I was 12, I saw Michael Jackson & his brothers, I went with my parents, we were outside, it was raining, someone got us an umbrella,I had bandages on my face. I also saw Bryan Adams in concerts, 8 times. My Aspergers wasn’t too bad back then. I don’t go to concerts anymore, I have sensory issues, I hate crowds, I have bad anxiety & more health problems. I’m ok with not going to concerts anymore.