Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 6:00 am

Been working at home Depot since 2020 as Lot Attendant. Pushing carts and loading merchandise and et cetera.

Some of the day laborers have had the nerve to bark "chino" at me.

May 2022, one particular day laborer kept screaming "chino" at me, like he demanded an answer. Then I tattled to the cops. (At least two cops always on duty at home Depot). The cop told that one day laborer to leave that day. Next day the same day laborer did the same thing. Tattled to a different cop. That cop went over there, and told me that the day laborer said that he was "sorry" and he won't do it again. I had to ask the cop to make the day laborer leave. The day laborer left and returned the next day and did the same thing. I went to tattle to cop number three. By the time the cop got there the day laborer was gone. Many other times the day laborer came back. For a couple of months, have not seen that day laborer

Assistant manager Don told me not to go to the "day laborers" section, in May 2022. In August 2022, Don left home Depot. So I never stopped going to the "day laborers " section because I was afraid of getting written up for not pushing carts over there. Home Depot is terrible at communication and organization. Don did not write me a letter or anything.

There are a lot of day laborers. They come every day. All day long. They go to the bathroom too much and hog the toilets. They laugh when I almost get hit by a car.

Really did not want to tattle to home Depot staff. Was afraid that the manager would not believe me and tell me that "chino" is "freedom of speech". And that the day laborers did not physically injure or exterminate me thus far. And then fire me. ("At will " employer).

Thankfully the manager said that when there are other lot attendants, I don't have to go to the "day laborer" section. But when I am the only lot attendant I have to work in the "day laborers" section. The manager told me to tattle to management when the day laborers say a single word to me. (There is no "day laborer" section. They don't have an office. There is no barrier between the "day laborers" section and the rest of the parking lot . The day laborers can go anywhere in the parking lot. I asked for a letter from home Depot that said that I don't have to push carts in the "day laborers" section, because I am afraid of getting written up for not pushing carts in the "day laborers" section. They did not write me a letter.

The managers response was not as bad as it could have been. She could have demanded proof that they called me "chino". She seemed to care. She speaks Spanish (I don't) and she said "chino" was "racial slurs" and "harassment". I was afraid that she would have said that she doesn't have the authority to write up the day laborers, or something like that

But her proposal might not be that great, because sometimes there is only one manager in the building and that one is on the phone or doing something urgent

Hostile work environment

The day laborers make me feel like I don't belong at home Depot but they are the ones that don't belong there

I've only heard "chino" from about 20 different people and 15 of them were day laborers

The day laborers said "chino" like it was my name, not like it was a racial slur.

I live and work in diverse cities. There is a Chinatown about three miles from home Depot. Plenty of customers appear Chinese. However, only a few employees appear Chinese. Not everything is the way it appears

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:38 am

IDK if this may help, but I feel it's worth a shot...

not too long ago, my then 6-7 y/o "niece" (she isn't blood related), who is black/white mixed, would be chided with the term "china" by my nephew's friends, most of who are black, and were teens then, and they did it just because they all knew it bugged her.

She survived this.

These guys doing that to you are just trying to "get your goat", and there's really no way of avoiding it, short of quitting. Do your best to ignore it/not let it bug you.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:45 am

I'm glad the manager is at least kind of on your side. Not surprised the day labourers are more racist than the regular staff. I've worked with some people with pretty backwards views, but as there's a lot of South Asians working here, they've become less racist against them because they're familiar.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 11:21 pm

Since the manager intervened in June 2023, only heard two comments from the day laborers. "Hello boy!" and "Chino"

Today a day laborer had the nerve to tell me "Chino go home. It's raining.". (rolls eyes)

In June, the manager told me to tattle to an assistant manager if the day laborers had the nerve to tell me a single word, and I went around looking for an assistant manager. Just wanzo. He looked busy with a customer

Two supervisors are Vietnamese. None of the managers, assistant manager, or customer experience manager are Asian. Nobody above regular associate, appears Chinese. ? things are not always the way they appear)

The Home Depot I work at has at least two cops on standby at all times. Been working there three years. All that time, only saw three Asian cops and three women cops. Plenty of Latino and black cisgender male cops. Sometimes I wonder if the management and the cops allow day laborers because the day laborers remind them of themselves because they are the same sex and color.

Considering tattling the next time I see the manager or ASDS. But I find it hard to imagine that they have the authority to do anything about the day laborers. Home Depot is in the middle of a homeless encampment. It is not an office where everyone in the building works there. Two cops are just not enough to deal on the day laborers.

In other stores , someone has had the nerve to "shoo" me away like a stray dog, when I (one person) sat there for a few seconds. I was not doing anything bad or wrong, just trying to eat or arrange a job interview.

There are just too many day laborers and they are always there.

Day laborers just have way too many "rights", s**t

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 11:55 pm

Most of the day labourers are Mexican, right? Mexicans tend to use a lot of nicknames, so most of the time they're probably not considering the possibility that they might be offending you. Typically it's more likely to be used endearingly than as an insult.

Why not respond I gotta name ese?

Ese and vato are both appropriate nicknames to use for guys who might call you chico, they're the same sort of I don't know your name but this will do words.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 7:43 pm

Funeral empire

Your statement is good advice but it doesn't take into account that I don't have any way to know which one of the day laborers has:

Felony convictions
Guns or other weapons
Psychiatric diagnoses
Gang memberships
Drug addictions
Sex with my boss (I don't have the moral "right" to prevent any two precious lil "people" from having sex.). Everyone has subconscious biases.

As a result, I am afraid to make any sort of statement or action to answer.

The home Depot that I work at is in the middle of a homeless encampment. It is not an office where everyone in the building works for that company. Two cops are on standby at all times, but two is not enough. They have plenty of security guards but I don't feel comfortable tattling to the security guards because I don't think they have the skill or authority to do anything about it. Besides, cops and security guards are human with their own subconscious biases.

Home Depot has video tapes but the managers don't have access. Only loss prevention has access to the video tapes to look for illegal actions

Besides I am autistic. There is only one job of me and numerous day laborers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 3:50 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Funeral empire

Your statement is good advice but it doesn't take into account that I don't have any way to know which one of the day laborers has:

Felony convictions
Guns or other weapons
Psychiatric diagnoses
Gang memberships
Drug addictions
Sex with my boss (I don't have the moral "right" to prevent any two precious lil "people" from having sex.). Everyone has subconscious biases.

As a result, I am afraid to make any sort of statement or action to answer.

The home Depot that I work at is in the middle of a homeless encampment. It is not an office where everyone in the building works for that company. Two cops are on standby at all times, but two is not enough. They have plenty of security guards but I don't feel comfortable tattling to the security guards because I don't think they have the skill or authority to do anything about it. Besides, cops and security guards are human with their own subconscious biases.

Home Depot has video tapes but the managers don't have access. Only loss prevention has access to the video tapes to look for illegal actions

Besides I am autistic. There is only one job of me and numerous day laborers.

None of those things you list necessarily matter. Even ex-cons with guns and mental problems can be friendly to people they see regularly, who are stuck in the same general area. People do it to alleviate boredom and reduce potential tensions. Personally, I've found that the costs of not interacting tend to outweigh the costs of interacting.

If things go very poorly you might get some attitude, a funny look or some mean words.
Most likely, the interaction will just pass. I get where you're coming from with your worries, but I wouldn't consider a catastrophic outcome very likely.

I'm just grateful people don't lick faces and sniff crotches when we do these sorts of interactions.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 7:22 am

I take it that you're of East Asian background.

I take it that the "day laborers" are customers (guys coming to get construction supplies), and thus cant be "reprimanded" like you can employees. And that they are central American or Mexican.

I wouldnt like it either.

But I would just take it stride.

Guys in the construction trades, of every ethnicity, talk trash to each other.

And immigrants from Central America are not gonna be educated at all, and even if they are they are not going to be educated in the nuances of American political correctness.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 1:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I take it that the "day laborers" are customers (guys coming to get construction supplies), and thus cant be "reprimanded" like you can employees. And that they are central American or Mexican.

And immigrants from Central America are not gonna be educated at all, and even if they are they are not going to be educated in the nuances of American political correctness.

I don't think so. They're labourers seeking work for the day. They hang around hoping that a contractor or home owner will hire them for a day's work.

We don't have this at home depot or hardware/lumber stores in Canada. Only ever heard of it online about the USA.

We also don't have police stationed at home depot ?? That's weird. Why would there be police working at home depot?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 7:14 pm

Oh yeah. Thats a thing. Guys waiting a certain locales for one day work. Some street corner..or in front of a convenience store.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 11:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I don't think so. They're labourers seeking work for the day. They hang around hoping that a contractor or home owner will hire them for a day's work.

We don't have this at home depot or hardware/lumber stores in Canada. Only ever heard of it online about the USA.

We also don't have police stationed at home depot ?? That's weird. Why would there be police working at home depot?

It seems that home Depot has so much drama that it decided to hire at least two "standby" cops at all times.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 10:22 pm

I was called Cockney and Cockney Rebel at a factory that I worked at for three years during the 90s. I decided that the best thing for me to do would be for me to ignore them.