Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2023, 1:31 pm

I've heard a lot about how "reality" shows isn't reality at all. As an example, look at this video:

How can these shows be called "reality" if they are in fact fake?

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 1:33 pm

Welcome to the world of marketing,

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2023, 2:21 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
Welcome to the world of marketing,

But why then are they called "reality shows" if they are in fact not real? What makes it different from something like a sitcom or a drama?

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 2:43 pm

They think that live-action = reality, but, like any game, movie, and/or tv show, they're are scripted in a certain way just so they can make them entertaining.

In "reality" shows' case, it can be manipulative and/or misleading.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2023, 2:55 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
They think that live-action = reality, but, like any game, movie, and/or tv show, they're are scripted in a certain way just so they can make them entertaining.

But if they are scripted, then what makes reality shows different from a drama or a sitcom?

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 3:13 pm

People don't want to watch a "scripted" show, they find "reality" to be much more tantalizing, so a show termed as a "reality show" will pull them in. IDK how to explain it better. People are "mindless", and the companies et al that produce these shows know this. Also, the scripting is very loose, so the people taking part in the "action" are just given "clues" or "guidelines" on what's to be expected. Also, also, they are far more "raw", compared to regular comedy and drama. which is "exciting" to many.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:54 pm

I despise reality shows, scripted or not.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I despise reality shows, scripted or not.

IKR? What a bunch of chicken dung! :eew:

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2023, 2:29 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
People don't want to watch a "scripted" show, they find "reality" to be much more tantalizing, so a show termed as a "reality show" will pull them in. IDK how to explain it better. People are "mindless", and the companies et al that produce these shows know this. Also, the scripting is very loose, so the people taking part in the "action" are just given "clues" or "guidelines" on what's to be expected. Also, also, they are far more "raw", compared to regular comedy and drama. which is "exciting" to many.

But if a reality show is "scripted", then it's not a reality show anymore, is it?

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2023, 11:27 am

I find reality shows boring. I don't get it. They're just popularity contests and I don't care about any of the characters.

I think the reality shows became a "thing" when screen writers went on strike for months and months a few years ago and the tv producers thought they could still sell soap with just an outline of a story (contest) that forces the characters to interact and the cast will adlib all the dialogue for free.

I simply don't find it interesting.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 12:26 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
mrpieceofwork wrote:

But if a reality show is "scripted", then it's not a reality show anymore, is it?

Well duhhhhhh....

Theyre called "reality shows" to market them to you...the TV viewer. So you will buy into them being "reality".

But to varying degrees the so called shows arent really "reality".

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 1:28 pm

Is there a fine line between "reality shows" and documentaries? This is just my take on it.

As soon as the film editor attaches two and more scenes together in a documentary, it basically becomes scripted. Although, the degree that script reflects a chain of events, or a story fabricated from what could be suggested, varies. My thought is there is likely a spectrum of approaches. When I watch a Martin Scorsese documentary, it is usually good and I believe it reflect something that happened. I think a good example of how two approaches to the same footage can produce two different outcomes is "Let it Be" and "The Beatles: Get Back" Two documentaries with different stories.

"Reality shows" are cheaper to produce. We have hundreds of channels and not enough money and content. What passes for a "Reality" show is a mutation of the documentary made by producers who perhaps are only thinking about the bottom line ($$$). There is a cynical side of me that imagines a hoard of industry bottom feeders that imagine they are being creative with shows like The Bachelor. That is literally the only reality show title I know. That assessment may be totally unfair and may not reflect reality. I also imagine that not everyone in the industry is doing what they imagined they would doing. That happens to most, or many, of us in life. There is also the notion that by producing "reality" television show, there is money left for more worthwhile forms of entertainment. Honestly, typing that made me gag a little, but I it must be true to some extent because there are content creators out there that are imaginative and want to attempt to create something good, and sometimes they get a break. If successful, it works out for everyone.

Game shows are a form of reality tv too. Historically, they have been scripted too, causing controversy and sandal.

After writing this I thought "Hey! Why don't I do some reading on the subject instead of just making fart noises?" My brain can make some great fart sounds (and some rather flat attempts).

This is from the Guardian and I found it interesting.
What Was the First Reality TV Show?

This is an interesting list because some of these title really seem like they have a documentary vibe to them.
The 15 Earliest Reality TV Shows

(This has some length to it. My brain tends to jump around. Apologies for missing words, sentences that are not complete, and misspellings. I would re-read it again, but that means I'll start editing it again.)

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2023, 6:24 am

Sometimes I catch part of a "reality" show on TV in the break room at work. The name really is the exact opposite of what they are. Not only do they come across as scripted, they're the most formulaic, over-scored, emotionally telegraphed TV I've ever seen.

They used to have on "Undercover Boss." In every episode, the undercover boss would sit down with an employee for lunch and they'd have a conversation about the employee's sick child and how hard it was to make ends meet or something like that. Then, they'd cut to the interview with the boss and he would cry. And at the end, he'd reveal himself and buy the employee a truck. So this one night, I walked in, saw the show playing and asked, "has the boss cried yet?" Someone answered, "Oh, he's a tough guy. He's not going to cry." Well, sure enough, he cried.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 6:02 am

Kyle Richards getting divorced , she played the little girl that Laurie babysits in Halloween

Reality shows isnt my cup of tea , game show Fort Boyard is somewhat entertaining tho

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2023, 6:37 am

I have been reading old posts.

WrongPlanet.Net - Reality TV. October 22, 2004

There were not many responses.

Here is another.

WrongPlanet.Net -Who Invent These Lame Reality Shows? February 3, 2005

I find these common themed threads over time interesting because the ideas expressed are 18 to 19 years old. It's like archeology. Also, when reading the poster's age, remember to subtract 18 years.

FYI - I'm not responding to old posts.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 12:47 am

mharrington85 wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

But if they are scripted, then what makes reality shows different from a drama or a sitcom?

It feels juicer to some people, like instead of for sure being made up characters on a show...the charcters are presumably real regular people put on a show and some people are satisfied by watching that kind of stuff cause they can compare themselves to those supposedly real people and say, well at least I'm not them but still watch the garbage for entertainment anyways.

source...sometimes I watch those...