Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department have determined that pouring gasoline is a legal and acceptable practice for hunting them here.

They can determine it's legal but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Remember (as an example), we used to use leaded gasoline; it was legal and acceptable but it also means multiple generational cohorts grew up with with effects of exposure to lead.

Being legal doesn't mean much besides that it's legal.

The authorities in Texas have determined that pouring gasoline down rattlesnake dens is a effective way to hunt them.I trust their opinion on it because they are wildlife biologists funded by my tax dollars.Also, the rattlesnake hunters have permission from the ranchers to use gasoline on their land so I think the ranchers have a good idea of the situation too.to me legal is a general baseline indicator that something is moral according to Christianity generally.There are lots of exceptions but generally my philosophy that as long its legal its okay. I do disagree with the Texas Parks and Wildlife on some things too so they are not perfect.

I guess Texans are immune to the health risks that result from consuming water contaminated by gasoline?
Because it's a health hazard for the rest of the natural world.

I'm not asking you to just use whatever rule of thumb you prefer, I'm asking you to think critically for a moment:
Is gasoline a health hazard? Yes.
Is gasoline persistent in the environment? Yes.

How can pouring poison into the environment not have potential health consequences for everything that depends on that environment, including people?

I guess a big part of it is that I love the oil industry but I am biased so I dont believe in environmentalism. The wildlife biologists in Texas have determined that using gasoline to hunt is a-ok so I will trust them.I just think professional college educated wildlife professionals are more competant to determine acceptable hunting methods than random people on the internet but thats just me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:59 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department have determined that pouring gasoline is a legal and acceptable practice for hunting them here.

They can determine it's legal but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Remember (as an example), we used to use leaded gasoline; it was legal and acceptable but it also means multiple generational cohorts grew up with with effects of exposure to lead.

Being legal doesn't mean much besides that it's legal.

The authorities in Texas have determined that pouring gasoline down rattlesnake dens is a effective way to hunt them.I trust their opinion on it because they are wildlife biologists funded by my tax dollars.Also, the rattlesnake hunters have permission from the ranchers to use gasoline on their land so I think the ranchers have a good idea of the situation too.to me legal is a general baseline indicator that something is moral according to Christianity generally.There are lots of exceptions but generally my philosophy that as long its legal its okay. I do disagree with the Texas Parks and Wildlife on some things too so they are not perfect.

I guess Texans are immune to the health risks that result from consuming water contaminated by gasoline?
Because it's a health hazard for the rest of the natural world.

I'm not asking you to just use whatever rule of thumb you prefer, I'm asking you to think critically for a moment:
Is gasoline a health hazard? Yes.
Is gasoline persistent in the environment? Yes.

How can pouring poison into the environment not have potential health consequences for everything that depends on that environment, including people?

I guess a big part of it is that I love the oil industry but I am biased so I dont believe in environmentalism. The wildlife biologists in Texas have determined that using gasoline to hunt is a-ok so I will trust them.I just think professional college educated wildlife professionals are more competant to determine acceptable hunting methods than random people on the internet but thats just me.

The thing is, we're both trusting experts to inform us, you're just choosing to overlook what experts say about exposure to gasoline because (other) experts with an agenda have also chosen to ignore the facts about exposure to gasoline.

I'm not sure what "don't believe in environmentalism" is even supposed to mean. Do you mean you don't believe pollution matters? Do you mean you think dumping poison won't cause harm because you don't believe in it?

I'm pretty sure poisons don't care about what you believe, they're poisonous regardless of anyone's deeply held beliefs.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:23 pm

I just dont think oil and gas have the ability to destroy all life on this planet.The environment will heal itself.Also I admit I feel this way because my family has been involved with the oil industry for generations upon generations.I just dont think protecting the environment should be a huge political goal as a nation because its hurts industry.Also I think my idea of good environmentalism is different than yours because I think hunting is a good way to practice conservation.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:38 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I just dont think oil and gas have the ability to destroy all life on this planet.

I agree with you on that. They can contribute, but they're not uniquely terrible.

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
The environment will heal itself.

Definitely, it will heal to some degree, it's mostly a question of how quickly can it heal. The real problem with petrochemicals is that they take a long time to break down and that they can cause a lot of harm before they've broken down.

Think of it like a sink with a really small drain. You need to be careful how quickly you fill the sink because it can't drain very quickly.

Same idea, petrochemicals only 'drain' from the environment very slowly so we should add them at the lowest rate possible (ideally zero) to prevent their levels from becoming problematic.

I'm not passing any judgment, I've spilled nearly a full tank of fuel when my gas tank got a hole in it. But, I've also seen how the impact lingers where I spilled it.

Quote:
• Gasoline tends to evaporate quickly on the surface of the water compared to heavier oils, although not all of this very toxic chemical evaporates. Gasoline, even in small amounts, can adversely affect fish and plants that live there.

• Gasoline is extremely flammable and care must be taken to avoid unintentional ignition of the material. Accidental fires may damage sensitive ecosystems.

• Gasoline vapors may be toxic to birds and mammals at high concentrations. Direct contact with the fuel can cause irritation of the skin and eyes and gasoline ingestion may result in death.

• On land, spilled gasoline can rapidly penetrate soil potentially causing groundwater or surface water contamination. Below the surface, gasoline can persist in soil or sediment for a longer period of time.

• Gasoline trapped in sediment may cause harm to worms, insects and shellfish that live in or feed off the sediment. The young of fish that spawn in gravel beds may be harmed by gasoline exposure.

• Gasoline tends to float on top of the water and affects those plants or animals that spend their time on or at the surface of the water or the surrounding land. Direct contact with the fuel can cause irritation or damage to fish gills and the skin or outer covering of aquatic animals. If contact is extensive, fish, invertebrate and amphibian kills may be observed. Sensitive life stages, such as amphibian eggs that float near the surface, may be injured by gasoline exposure.

• Some components of gasoline will dissolve into the water and may adversely affect fish and invertebrates. These chemicals generally act as an anesthetic in animals, resulting in impaired swimming ability and feeding behavior at low concentrations and death at higher concentrations. This altered behavior may make animals more susceptible to predation.

• Plants and algae that come in contact with gasoline may show color loss or decay, harming both the plants and the animals that depend on them for food and shelter.

• While gasoline may not persist in the water for long, fisheries can take longer to recover if significant impacts to fish, their young and prey occur. Persistence of gasoline in sediment may also slow recovery of the ecosystem.

Petrochemicals contribute a lot of good for humanity, but they're still poison. The one doesn't negate the other.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 7:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I just dont think oil and gas have the ability to destroy all life on this planet.

I agree with you on that. They can contribute, but they're not uniquely terrible.

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
The environment will heal itself.

Definitely, it will heal to some degree, it's mostly a question of how quickly can it heal. The real problem with petrochemicals is that they take a long time to break down and that they can cause a lot of harm before they've broken down.

Think of it like a sink with a really small drain. You need to be careful how quickly you fill the sink because it can't drain very quickly.

Same idea, petrochemicals only 'drain' from the environment very slowly so we should add them at the lowest rate possible (ideally zero) to prevent their levels from becoming problematic.

I'm not passing any judgment, I've spilled nearly a full tank of fuel when my gas tank got a hole in it. But, I've also seen how the impact lingers where I spilled it.

Quote:
• Gasoline tends to evaporate quickly on the surface of the water compared to heavier oils, although not all of this very toxic chemical evaporates. Gasoline, even in small amounts, can adversely affect fish and plants that live there.

• Gasoline is extremely flammable and care must be taken to avoid unintentional ignition of the material. Accidental fires may damage sensitive ecosystems.

• Gasoline vapors may be toxic to birds and mammals at high concentrations. Direct contact with the fuel can cause irritation of the skin and eyes and gasoline ingestion may result in death.

• On land, spilled gasoline can rapidly penetrate soil potentially causing groundwater or surface water contamination. Below the surface, gasoline can persist in soil or sediment for a longer period of time.

• Gasoline trapped in sediment may cause harm to worms, insects and shellfish that live in or feed off the sediment. The young of fish that spawn in gravel beds may be harmed by gasoline exposure.

• Gasoline tends to float on top of the water and affects those plants or animals that spend their time on or at the surface of the water or the surrounding land. Direct contact with the fuel can cause irritation or damage to fish gills and the skin or outer covering of aquatic animals. If contact is extensive, fish, invertebrate and amphibian kills may be observed. Sensitive life stages, such as amphibian eggs that float near the surface, may be injured by gasoline exposure.

• Some components of gasoline will dissolve into the water and may adversely affect fish and invertebrates. These chemicals generally act as an anesthetic in animals, resulting in impaired swimming ability and feeding behavior at low concentrations and death at higher concentrations. This altered behavior may make animals more susceptible to predation.

• Plants and algae that come in contact with gasoline may show color loss or decay, harming both the plants and the animals that depend on them for food and shelter.

• While gasoline may not persist in the water for long, fisheries can take longer to recover if significant impacts to fish, their young and prey occur. Persistence of gasoline in sediment may also slow recovery of the ecosystem.

Petrochemicals contribute a lot of good for humanity, but they're still poison. The one doesn't negate the other.

I mostly agree with you on all those points.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 9:45 pm

From Texas Parks & Wildlife on gassing

“Why is TPWD scoping this issue?
Gassing is an indiscriminate means of take. TPWD is concerned about the impact of gassing on wildlife and habitat, particularly on non-target organisms, including rare karst (cave/crevice-dwelling) invertebrates that inhabit caves and crevices along with rattlesnakes”

“Many rattlesnake events currently discourage the collection of snakes by gassing, and several organizers have expressed a desire to work cooperatively with TPWD and snake collectors to promote safe and effective collection practices.
Doesn't gassing control rattlesnake populations? Won't we be overrun by rattlesnakes if gassing is banned?
There are no studies suggesting that rattlesnakes will become overabundant in the absence of this means of collection.”

Full article
https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/huntwild/gassing.phtml

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 9:54 pm

Misslizard wrote:
From Texas Parks & Wildlife on gassing

“Why is TPWD scoping this issue?
Gassing is an indiscriminate means of take. TPWD is concerned about the impact of gassing on wildlife and habitat, particularly on non-target organisms, including rare karst (cave/crevice-dwelling) invertebrates that inhabit caves and crevices along with rattlesnakes”

“Many rattlesnake events currently discourage the collection of snakes by gassing, and several organizers have expressed a desire to work cooperatively with TPWD and snake collectors to promote safe and effective collection practices.
Doesn't gassing control rattlesnake populations? Won't we be overrun by rattlesnakes if gassing is banned?
There are no studies suggesting that rattlesnakes will become overabundant in the absence of this means of collection.”

Full article
https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/huntwild/gassing.phtml

I will just agree to disagree with you about gassing rattlebugs.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 9:09 am

I have been thinking about this subject. This is a really interesting subject. So let me pass on my thoughts. First of all, there are two very ancient books. One is the Bible (Noah and the Ark) and the other is Atlantis. When you piece these books together, one can learn some interesting things.

There was an event that resulted in the near destruction of all the people on the planet Earth. It was an end of the world event. It caused a massive flood and almost all the world's population drowned. Most people believe it was a story of fiction. But it is a real life event.

So how did this event happen and when did this event happen.

It could have occurred about 13,000 years ago. The Earth was in a major ice age and very suddenly it was warm and the ice melted. At around 13,000 years ago, a large part of the world was frozen over in ice. The water in the ocean (around 70 percent of the land mass) had been turned to ice at the poles. Generally the ocean water level was around 300 feet lower then today. But in some areas, such as Indiana, where I live, there was 1 mile of ice. The ice had weight and forced the earth crust downward. As a result, much of the state was underwater at the time.

Now the other part of the question is how did this event happen. What brought this ice age to a quick end? It could have been caused by an impact event from a long period comet. Normally a large impact event leaves a substantial evidence behind. But an impact event on an ice sheet over a mile thick of ice does not. There is some evidence of a large impact event around 13,000 years ago centered near Canada. It produced almost a thousand depressions scattered over a couple thousand miles in Canada and the United States and even some in Europe. An impact of this type could have brought the ice age to an immediate end and immediately caused the ice sheets to break apart and flood the entire world.

So it could have happened and caused the near destruction of almost every living thing on the planet. But let me move on a little further back in time. The Bible tells a Story of Adam and Eve. This story dates back to the beginning of the human race. Adam and Eve may have been a very different type of humans. They may have come from Aspie origins. They may have had right side of skull dominant brains rather then left side. This may be the reason why this website is called Wrong Planet. It is because many of us feel like we have been born on the Wrong Planet. Humans are unlike any creature that came before us. If you look at some of the species of Apes, they are very similar to humans but they exhibit characteristics of left dominant brains. They live in packs and fight in packs.

Some Aspies are fairly intelligent. They have I.Q.s over 150. Many are picture thinkers. Their minds move near the speed of light. They are like the original humans, Adam and Eve.

When did Adam and Eve exist. Well very far back in time. During this time some early serpents had arms and legs. Over a million years ago.

In the bible it reads:
Genesis 3:14-15: And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 10:30 am

The story of Atlantis. When did it happen?

Plato (c.424–328 B.C.) describes it as a powerful and advanced kingdom that sank, in a night and a day, into the ocean around 9,600 B.C.

Atlantis

That sounds about right. It occurred at the end of the last ice age around 13,000 years ago.

Another article states:

Since the 1800s, Atlanteans have been credited for having had the technology to generate electricity, build flying machines, and harness nuclear power for energy and war-fare—all developed more than 9,000 years before such things came into being in modern society. Other claims have Atlanteans knowledgeable about a formidable death ray, secrets for levitation, and pure forms of energy through crystals.

Source: Atlantis

This account goes on to say:

Many Atlantis enthusiasts firmly believe that the inhabitants of the lost continent had cosmic connections with extraterrestrials and may actually have been a colony established on Earth by alien explorers.

That is an interesting thought. The Bible story of Adam and Eve being

Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Civilization progressed until the time of the Great Flood, the time of Noah and the Ark, a time when much of the worlds population drowned, around 13,000 years ago.

Another article wrote:

If Atlantis really existed, no one wrote about it until Plato, who did so 9,000 years after its destruction. This, in and of itself, is cause for skepticism. The existence of a vast, advanced civilization should have found its way into contemporaneous historical texts, even without it mysteriously vanishing. Once it sunk into the sea, it absolutely should have been spoken about long before Plato. That’s the sort of thing that makes you sit up and take notice. If you’re a historian circa 10,000 BC, you write about the utopia that vanished beneath the waves. That’s strike one.

Source: The Science Behind the Fiction: Is there any truth to the myth of Atlantis?

No that is not a strike one at all. At the time of the last ice age, the level of the sea was 400 feet lower. The evidence of Atlantis is buried under 400 feet of ocean water and a layer of mud and grime.

During colder climatic periods more ice caps and glaciers form, and enough of the global water supply accumulates as ice to lessen the amounts in other parts of the water cycle. The reverse is true during warm periods. During the last ice age glaciers covered almost one-third of Earth's land mass, with the result being that the oceans were about 400 feet (122 meters) lower than today.

Source:The coastline of the eastern U.S. changes....slowly.

Last edited by jimmy m on 27 Jun 2023, 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 10:40 am

This thread is unhinged... allow me to realign it...

We Humans are of a LONG, DEEP line of organisms, ALL of which evolved together at differing times on THIS ONE PLANET, and everything we Humans come up to "mansplain" the unknown and cannot be known (fully) are mere bandages to cover our collective existential fears.

Also, sneks are amazing and BENEFICIAL critters, which we should revere and PROTECT with all our resources.

Carry on.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 8:21 pm

Back to a discussion about rattlesnakes.

mrpieceofwork wrote:
Also, sneks are amazing and BENEFICIAL critters, which we should revere and PROTECT with all our resources.

When I was a teenager over 50 years ago, I lived in Texas just like you. I lived in a city called Dallas. I found it to be a wonderful place to grow up and have good memories of those days. I lived within a large city. There were snakes, rattlesnakes but I do not recall ever seeing them, because I was in a large city. But if I traveled into the countryside and off the beaten path, rattlesnakes were in abundance.

As I grew into adulthood we moved to a city in Los Angeles, California. There was rattlesnakes but for the most part, one had to travel out into the wild to come across them. California is a vastly different region then Texas. It has many steep hills and mountains. When traveling away from the city, one could easily come across a rattlesnake. And if it struck, it might not be at foot level but higher. One could come across a rattlesnake and get a bite to the neck or arms.

This is what can result from a rattlesnake bite.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 7:53 am

If you get hit by a car it would be worse.
Cars cause more deaths than snakes.
I’m not showing a picture of a car crash victim.
From Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/ca ... d%20States.
“In 2020, a total of 35,766 fatal motor vehicle accidents occurred on U.S. roadways.[2] These crashes resulted in a total of 38,824 deaths.[5”

Only 10-15 fatalities a year from snake bites,
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 393596.pdf

Also sometimes snakes don’t inject venom when they bite, it’s called a dry bite.
https://www.fairview.org/patient-education/116549EN

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 9:18 am

O.K. I am going a little bit OFF TOPIC for a moment.

Early forms of the snake occupy a central part at the beginning of the Bible. Perhaps there is more to the story then what meets the eye.

The Story of Atlantis may hold some insight. A quick search on the internet provided a discussion point. Apparently I am not alone, others have begun investigating this topic and found some similarities. Here is a link.

Alternative Civilization and Its Discontents:

"In the Fall of 2022, Netflix released Ancient Apocalypse, an eight-part documentary series written and presented by Graham Hancock, the author of numerous bestselling books about ancient human prehistory".

The series provides his thoughts about the event.

The Seventh part of the series describes a "site in Turkey called Derinkuyu, an underground city with a vast network of tunnels, represents what Hancock believes to be survival bunkers for the people living under assault from strikes by cometary debris 12,800 years ago."

The Eighth part of the series describes "numerous geological features of the Channeled Scablands of the western United States show what Hancock, along with his colleague Randall Carlson, believe to be direct evidence of the cosmic cometary event that erased nearly all evidence of the advanced civilization they believe thrived during the last ice age."

"The series ends in dramatic fashion with Hancock delivering a take-home message for us moderns: that comet stream will one day return to do to us what it did to the Atlanteans, so we should prepare ourselves now. 'Perhaps our own ‘advanced’ civilization should heed their warning,” Hancock pronounces in prophetic fashion in the final line of the series, 'lest our own story end the same way.'"

Perhaps there is even more out there then meets the eye. Perhaps we are dealing with a very advanced civilization. It is not difficult to alter the path of a comet, even a large comet. Perhaps, the impact strike around 13,000 years ago was not accidental. Perhaps there is a very advanced civilization responsible for it. If so "our knowledge has grown over the past 13,000 years. Earth may be a target FOR A REPEAT EVENT.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 9:57 am

I grew up in the hills and valleys of San Diego County, CA, I played in the rocks, and splashed around in the creeks. (lost cats to coyotes) As well, I spent what could now add up to full months of my life hiking and camping in MANY different environments in and around CA. In all of those outings, I saw a total of ONE rattlesnake.

I have yet to come across any venomous snake here in TX, and I've been here for 10 years, and have explored many a "wild place" here.

I do not give much of any weight to ancient myths and tales. I mentioned why above.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 10:10 am

Most ancient people had respect for serpents.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_in_mythology

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 12:11 am

ImageImage

Here is Mr. Rattlesnake he doesn't want to bite anyone but he does want you to leave him alone and go away when he rattles his tail otherwise he bites in self defense, like just leave them alone and they are unlikely to bite.