How AI Could Save (Not Destroy) Education | Sal Khan | TED

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 1:10 pm

As the title emplies, Khan Academy has been working on an LLM tutor for students, one that simultaneously pushes students to come up with the answers rather than simply giving them the way ChatGPT would but also giving some flexibility and more granular assistance when the student is struggling.

That's a big 'white pill' for students in that they can have direct tutoring and have the learning gains that come with that (historically that was something only the aristocracy had). I think this would also help obviate educational bullying such as students sizing up other students who are getting A's and other places where the various styles of human competition deprecate the educational experience. I also do wonder if this could be the end of $200K degrees within the decade since huge colleges with Olympic swimming pools with water tunnels, rock climbing walls (yes - OSU RPAC is jumping out at me loudly), and an administrator for every two or three students will be antiquated and maybe the current colleges will lean back more on being research institutions.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 10:55 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
As the title emplies, Khan Academy has been working on an LLM tutor for students, one that simultaneously pushes students to come up with the answers rather than simply giving them the way ChatGPT would but also giving some flexibility and more granular assistance when the student is struggling.

Sounds great!

And, yes, I think the educational system needs a complete overhaul.