Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 7:17 am

Post information, experiences of and any techniques to help, support and inform people who are suffering with any kind of emotional trauma and also for the families or carers to those who are trauma survivors/sufferers.

This thread is for educational purposes and not for the purposes of diagnosis.

Post traumatic stress disorder https://g.co/kgs/eJHjDE

Complex post traumatic stress disorder
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... he%20world

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2023, 8:00 am

I'm not sure why I'm just now seeing this. Good idea.

It's been a few years for me since I was doing trauma work, but I recall how helpful it was for me to have a 'self care kit' assembled. I put one together when I was in an okay headspace and had it ready for times I was not. It was full of things that soothed me. I kept that thing by this comfy chair I'd curl up in when things got especially rough so it required no thought to find it. It was always there. I had issues with this things like body memories, flashbacks, and getting holed up in my head in the worst kinds of ways. The self care kit had things in it that I would use as an anchor to reality, so to speak. I remember stumbling onto citrus fruit as a nice way to engage multiple senses at once and it really helped to keep me present and give me something to focus on outside of myself. I could roll an orange, for example, around in my hands, maybe toss it back and forth from hand to hand, see it, smell it, and it was really helpful to me. Sounds silly, but I swear, oranges and the like were a must have for me for a while there. I found them awesome anchors when one is needed and totally worth keeping in a self care kit.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 4:51 am

Flashbacks all day yesterday. Screamed and shouted my way through my therapy session. Triggered to f*ck on WP.

I luckily took a fluffy jacket with me to my therapy session yesterday so at least I had something to cuddle. I'll do that in future I think even though I'm supposed to be as hard as f*****g nails. It's so embarrassing to become a child like that.

I'm a bit better today but the flashbacks are still hitting me like a f*****g brick every now and then.

Tomorrow's another day I suppose. I'm living for tomorrow atm.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 6:58 am

babybird wrote:
Flashbacks all day yesterday. Screamed and shouted my way through my therapy session. Triggered to f*ck on WP.

I luckily took a fluffy jacket with me to my therapy session yesterday so at least I had something to cuddle. I'll do that in future I think even though I'm supposed to be as hard as f*****g nails. It's so embarrassing to become a child like that.

I'm a bit better today but the flashbacks are still hitting me like a f*****g brick every now and then.

Tomorrow's another day I suppose. I'm living for tomorrow atm.

I'm sorry to hear this. :cry: :heart:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 7:24 am

Oh I'm OK thanks.

Another thing I found is that when I'm in my therapy sessions me and my T play ball a lot. It's a technique to keep me awake because I dissociate A LOT, like I literally fall asleep. Anyway we've found that if I use my left hand to throw and catch (I'm usually right handed) then that helps me stay more present.

Also drinking fruit juice is grounding as well. Especially if it's really sweet.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 7:37 am

babybird wrote:
even though I'm supposed to be as hard as f*****g nails. It's so embarrassing to become a child like that.

Who says?

Embarrassment is not the first feel I get when my mind reverts to being a child due to triggers, it's just pure fear, after the fact I just feel faulty.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 7:51 am

Recidivist wrote:
babybird wrote:
even though I'm supposed to be as hard as f*****g nails. It's so embarrassing to become a child like that.

Who says?

Embarrassment is not the first feel I get when my mind reverts to being a child due to triggers, it's just pure fear, after the fact I just feel faulty.

If an object makes you feel comforted then I don't think it's childish. Well it shouldn't be anyway. I have my teddy bear with me in bed and I often cuddle him and play with him (as in fiddle with his nose and pull out his fluff then shove it back in. He doesn't mind).

I'm glad you're having some therapy to help yourself survive in this cruel world. I'm sure your therapist doesn't mind if you find your fluffy coat comforting. :heart:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 7:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
Recidivist wrote:
babybird wrote:

Who says?

If an object makes you feel comforted then I don't think it's childish. Well it shouldn't be anyway. I have my teddy bear with me in bed and I often cuddle him and play with him (as in fiddle with his nose and pull out his fluff then shove it back in. He doesn't mind).

I'm glad you're having some therapy to help yourself survive in this cruel world. I'm sure your therapist doesn't mind if you find your fluffy coat comforting. :heart:

I'm not sure if you meant to reply to my comment Joe unless you just wanted to add to it for BB.

I could be wrong, but I think the child like state BB is referring to is due to the effect of PTSD/CPTSD triggers. I don't believe her coat was the reason for the child like state.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 8:48 am

Yes it's due to the ptsd and the dissociation.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 8:56 am

Your therapist sounds like a keeper. I'm glad you found someone that works for you. I'm thinking about giving therapy another shot. I didn't find it that helpful in the past, but I think I'd like to find a different therapist/type of therapy.

I've found journaling and hiking really helpful lately. When my PTSD is bad, it's hard to stay still so getting out has been very helpful. Stuff always tends to come up then, but maybe it's stuff that needs to be dealt with on some level. I've just been in a strange place these past few months. In some ways, I don't think that things will ever be the same again. That might be a good thing. I don't know.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 9:18 am

Yeah probably finding a therapist who you can trust is half the battle.

I get what you're saying about walking/hiking.

I was still struggling with the flashbacks this morning and I had to go out to a hospital appointment regarding my adhd. The walk did me so much good (even though I'd made a mistake with the appointment) It acted like a kind of circuit breaker.

I also used to go for really long walks alone on a Sunday morning. it was about a 3 hour walk and I used to follow the same route. It was so therapeutic for me. It was like I'd start off in a state of stress of the week and the mental health that brought with it and by the time I got back home I was like a fresh person again and ready to get back to work on the Monday. Of course it used to all build back up again by the end of the week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 9:42 am

Recidivist wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Recidivist wrote:
babybird wrote:

Who says?

I'm not sure if you meant to reply to my comment Joe unless you just wanted to add to it for BB.

I could be wrong, but I think the child like state BB is referring to is due to the effect of PTSD/CPTSD triggers. I don't believe her coat was the reason for the child like state.

I was replying to Babybird's post, I just get confused with the quotes when editing so I don't bother to change them.

More hugs for Babybird.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 3:22 am

Bath, cup of tea, chocolate. In that order.

That's what I need now. I feel like I'm finally recovering from my flashbacks I've been having for the last 2 days and now I just need self care and comfort.

Oh not to forget a good box set to binge on as well.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 10:49 am

Imagine a dog that gets kicked once and then it takes a while to trust people but eventually with a bit of kindness it forgets and is happy again. Then imagine a dog that keeps getting kicked again and again and again and is never shown any kindness by anyone in its life...

This is extreme and it is how I see the difference between ptsd (first example) and cptsd (second example).