Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 12:34 am

And seems pretty alright except for low memory and a loud fan, but it at least should stay connected to the internet so I can fill some job applications without the risk of my computer deciding to disconnect from the wi fi at random times. But really the sort of laptop quality I want tends to cost 600 dollars and up and I just needed something to stay online so I can fill out job applications so I bought a cheap thing for 300 dollars. It's an Apolosign, there is nothing about it on google I already looked seems currently to only be availible on amazon. But idk if one is looking to buy, there may be err...quieter options, because for sure this one has a loud fan.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 9:16 am

In my experience, cheap laptops tend not to last long. They tend to die due to overheating.

Unless you need to be able to carry it around, a desktop is generally better than a laptop of similar price range.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 10:54 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
In my experience, cheap laptops tend not to last long. They tend to die due to overheating.

Unless you need to be able to carry it around, a desktop is generally better than a laptop of similar price range.

Well, hopefully it will last till I can save up 600+ for a better one I am probably going to get a cooling pad to help it out a little. Though maybe I will consider a desktop if I can find one that is not a huge brick(like the shared computer my family got when I was a kid) since I mostly just keep the laptop at my desk.

Mipstherio
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2023, 11:52 pm

I'm afraid to say. I heard those types of laptops they tend to sell on discount So people thinking those are powerful or good laptops, In reality they're not. They ended up selling you low-end and cheaply made hardware that doesn't last long.

I think you need to check your thermals. doesn't your computer crash randomly?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 10:35 am

Mipstherio wrote:
I'm afraid to say. I heard those types of laptops they tend to sell on discount So people thinking those are powerful or good laptops, In reality they're not. They ended up selling you low-end and cheaply made hardware that doesn't last long.

I think you need to check your thermals. doesn't your computer crash randomly?

It has not crashed yet and seems to work pretty well, it's just noisy.

That said I didn't really have the impression it was a great laptop or anything, it has a Celeron processor which is certainly low end.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 7:32 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

My Thinkpad from 2012 still works. Also I have a surpluss Thinkpad from 2010 from the NSW board of education (school laptop) that still works. Thinkpads seem to last for ages.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2023, 8:11 am

Yes those cooling pads with fans can be helpful, though you're trading off core temperature with the potential accumulation of more dust and dirt. I usually run CoreTemp to monitor the CPU speed and temperature, and I only turn the cooling pad on when they're looking uncomfortable high. I've also got a freeware utility called BES that allows me to limit the speed of processes that are using a lot of CPU.

One very useful "feature" that you don't always get these days is the ability to boot on a USB drive so that you can run a 3rd-party system backup and restore program. Once you've got that working, you can always recover from any software-based trouble you happen to get into, and you can easily keep your system so clean that it'll always run well as long as you don't get hardware problems. That external-boot feature always used to be there, but these days you might find it difficult or impossible to configure the BIOS/UFI to boot on anything but the system partition. Back in the day it was great because Windows kept its nose out of the matter, but now, if Windows doesn't like your flash drive, it'll bypass it.

The cheap laptops are often rubbish. I saw one that had worked fine when it was new, but the system partition wasn't very big, and Windows compulsory updates eventually overfilled it. So I'd always consider using InControl to stop Microsoft forcing changes that could mess things up like that.

The prices have certainly gone up. Not long ago you could get a reasonable second-hand laptop for $100. Most of them cost rather more than that now, yet they don't seem to do a lot more that's of any use to most people.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2023, 8:30 am

I use a little Chrome Box for web surfing.
Even cheaper, if cost is an issue, is a little mini PC. $150 should be enough for fast web surfing computer if you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.