Refering to females as "ladies" is dangerous in workplace

Page 7 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 3:17 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
I wonder if perhaps the relevant Know Your Meme entries said something substantially different back then from what they say now.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 5:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I always thought words like ladies and gentlemen was the most formal way to describe people. When I volunteered at a charity shop we all had to use lady/ladies and gentleman/gentlemen when referring to customers. For example when a man wanted assistance I had to say to the manager "this gentleman wants your assistance". That sounded both formal and non-offensive. Using a word like "bloke" would sound too common and informal - but still nothing to go Karen over though.

I like being called lady. It makes me feel dignified.

Of course, "ladies and gentlemen" is considered polite in the U.S., as is referring to an individual as "lady" or "gentleman". However, there's a history of men addressing "ladies" en mass and then proceeding to talk down to them or otherwise insult or mistreat them, all under the guise of etiquette because the men called them "ladies."

Personally, I'm not always fond of being called a lady because it sometimes (often?) carries an air of daintiness and fluff that makes me cringe, akin to all that pink-and-lavender "I don't sweat, I sparkle" crap. :eew: No, buddy. I work my arse off and I DO SWEAT! I'm a woman, you see.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 8:29 pm

KimD wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I always thought words like ladies and gentlemen was the most formal way to describe people. When I volunteered at a charity shop we all had to use lady/ladies and gentleman/gentlemen when referring to customers. For example when a man wanted assistance I had to say to the manager "this gentleman wants your assistance". That sounded both formal and non-offensive. Using a word like "bloke" would sound too common and informal - but still nothing to go Karen over though.

I like being called lady. It makes me feel dignified.

Of course, "ladies and gentlemen" is considered polite in the U.S., as is referring to an individual as "lady" or "gentleman". However, there's a history of men addressing "ladies" en mass and then proceeding to talk down to them or otherwise insult or mistreat them, all under the guise of etiquette because the men called them "ladies."

Personally, I'm not always fond of being called a lady because it sometimes (often?) carries an air of daintiness and fluff that makes me cringe, akin to all that pink-and-lavender "I don't sweat, I sparkle" crap. :eew: No, buddy. I work my arse off and I DO SWEAT! I'm a woman, you see.

I think I tried to say this earlier, but this is more succinct.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm

The Dictionary wrote:

1. a woman (used as a polite or old-fashioned form of reference).
"I spoke to the lady at the travel agency"

[North American] an informal, often brusque, form of address to a woman.
"I'm sorry, lady, but you have the wrong number"

2. a woman of superior social position, especially one of noble birth.
"lords and ladies and royalty were once entertained at the house"

a courteous, decorous, or genteel woman.
"his wife was a real lady, with such nice manners"
(in the UK) a title used by peeresses, female relatives of peers, the wives and widows of knights, etc.
noun: Lady

3. [dated] a man's wife.

[dated] a woman with whom one is romantically or sexually involved.
"the young man bought a rose for his lady"

[historical] a woman to whom a man, especially a knight, is chivalrously devoted.

4. [British] a women's public restroom.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 2:26 pm

I still don't think all the outrage should be focused on the one word. I understand if they didn't like the tone the email was written in, and the way they used ladies indicated a negative/hostile/informal tone, but it makes it sound less trivial when all the focus is just on one word "they used the word LADIES!!" So people will undoubtfully roll their eyes and call them woke, Karen, whatever. But if they'd just said "this email was written in a tone that I sensed was wrong", their feelings might have been more understood.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 3:28 pm

Perhaps if he had sung to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1J8Ju ... RogersVEVO

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 8:41 am

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 11:53 pm

Anyone could find anything offensive and then they act all self righteous

You have to take into account the context

What gets on my nerves, is how it seems normalized to say "guys and girls". Women get called "girl" a lot more often than men get called "boys". I find that demeaning and belittling