Are you conscious of how lonely you are?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2023, 9:59 pm

I tend to "forget" how lonely I am for long stretches of time, and then when I remember I suddenly feel really sad.

I was watching a youtube video where the host was working on a project and they invited a couple friends over to help them with it, and they were all laughing and talking and having so much fun. I wish I had people I could invite over to do things with me. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm wasting my life, sitting alone in my room for most of my time.

Aurura_b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2023, 10:08 pm

You aren't alone in feeling this way. It's what I'm going through at the moment as well.
I'm not alone (I have other family members in the home), but unlike one of them, I don't have a preference for being by myself, and unlike the other, I don't have a whole lot of online friends to chat to, chill with, play games with, enjoy shared interests with, etc.

I do have a few trusted old friends, but they have very busy lives... I've tried many, many times to plan time, or even try impromptu visits with them, but it's near impossible. Their lives don't seem to have room for such recreation.
I hate how it seems our friendships are "not enough" for them to want to make time to hang out, but when I see how stressed and exhausted they are each time I do see them, I retract that feeling.

goaszw1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2023, 4:46 pm

I share your feelings. It's strange, I prefer to be in solitude but am also lonely at the same time. I have great friends, we get together often, but lack a truly intimate relationship.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 5:48 pm

I don't feel lonely. I never do.

Just alone in a crowd. I'm more alone than anything else than just lonely.
I always feel like I have to do things myself and prefer to do so.

If I were so lonely, I would've ran away long time ago. Never had to take terms about loneliness because I never truly felt it to begin with.

The main reason why I am never truly lonely is... Somewhat able to see 'Human fundamentals'.

Which I cannot elaborate well except it's what makes everything and everyone a part of something much larger.

Like it didn't matter how 'useless' a person is, or how well accomplished a person had been.

In a sense no one is truly alone.
To me it translates to my lack of loneliness.
Even if I have to be alone, isolated as much as possible, trying not to affect anyone in such sense.

But I already made a damn ripple, it already made a damn waves. So what's the point?

Only times I forget those is during the irrational and immersive states -- which I'm sure if it lasted long and intense enough, it makes a diagnosable mental illness.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 11:22 am

Same here. I'm alright half of the time, but the other half I'm lonely.

The stupid thing is, I have a husband and daughter but I'm still lonely. Husband has lots of social support- us; his birth family; his workplace; his cadet group; his military group.

Daughter has us; her college friends; her old school friends.

I have: 2 people (husband and daughter)

I look at them jealously to wonder how they do it. How do they make friends? How does anyone make friends? Because I can't. I'm mostly at home working/ doing housework with no one to meet up with, even though I've tried every local group I can think of to try and find friends.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 1:51 pm

Sometimes I am aware of how lonely I am

Otherwise, *keep busy*

Jobs
Hobbies
Friends
Goals

They only go so far but better than nothing

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 3:19 pm

I really only feel lonely around other people. Probably more a sense of exclusion more than anything else, or just being shown what I'm missing. Alone, I'm as close to content as I get. If I have things to keep me busy, I forget that there's a world out there that I'm not a part of.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 3:33 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I really only feel lonely around other people. Probably more a sense of exclusion more than anything else, or just being shown what I'm missing. Alone, I'm as close to content as I get. If I have things to keep me busy, I forget that there's a world out there that I'm not a part of.

That is a good point. I hate seeing groups of happy, laughing friends enjoying themselves and knowing I will never have that.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 4:15 pm

If you forget you are lonely, then you are (during that time period) - NOT lonely. Lonely is a feeling, Being alone is not the same thing.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2023, 4:23 pm

DanielW wrote:
If you forget you are lonely, then you are (during that time period) - NOT lonely. Lonely is a feeling, Being alone is not the same thing.

I guess so, but I think it's in the back of my mind somewhere even at times when I'm not aware of it. Like I'll feel a little bit sad or low energy, and then something will remind me how alone I am and I'll realize that it's loneliness

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2023, 9:15 am

KitLily wrote:
I hate seeing groups of happy, laughing friends enjoying themselves and knowing I will never have that.

I kind of had that at one time in my life, but they literally all moved away and I haven't been able to replace them.

A few years back I was on vacation and visited a waterfall. There was a group of college age young adults there taking a break from their summer vacation backpacking trip. It was a soul-crushing moment.

My parents asked me if I wanted to join Scouts as a child. I said no because I wasn't interested in trying new things (presumably because autism; I declined every extracurricular activity I wasn't forced to participate in). I didn't really appreciate outdoor recreation until after my college years. Backpacking is a struggle for me because I'm such a picky eater it's hard to find backpacker-friendly food. Even when I had a group of friends and we sometimes camped together almost none of them liked hiking. We were also all too broke at that point in our lives to go on any big trips; we stayed within a few hours of home.

Now that I can afford to take big vacations I usually have nobody to go with. I go by myself or not at all. And I often feel very lonely during my vacations. I know some people who love to travel solo. I would be much happier if I never took another vacation by myself for the rest of my life.

One of the places I feel loneliest is at a funeral. It's always very clear many of the attendees were much closer to the deceased on a personal level than I ever was. I'm there to pay my respects, but I don't belong there.

I'm not lonely all the time. I have interests that are solo activities, like reading. I just have to stay busy every waking moment.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 3:40 pm

Weight Of Memory wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I hate seeing groups of happy, laughing friends enjoying themselves and knowing I will never have that.

I kind of had that at one time in my life, but they literally all moved away and I haven't been able to replace them.

This is the weird thing with me. I had quite a busy social life since I was at primary school, I did extra curricular activities too. I had great friends at school when I was 16-18. I kept those friends until my mid 20s. I had great friends at university aged 20-23. I kept those friends until 30 or so.

But since then, it's been hard to make and keep friends. I wish I'd hung onto my school and college friends for dear life and made the effort. But it's too late now.

So I wonder what happened from age 30 til now in my life, I'm 54 now? I think it's partly 'society.' We don't have communities anymore and people just go along on their individual tracks, which makes it harder to make friends.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 5:48 pm

Am I conscious of how lonely I am?  Yes, definitely.

Do I sit alone, mope, whine, and cry about it?  Certainly not!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2023, 5:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
Am I conscious of how lonely I am?  Yes, definitely.

Do I sit alone, mope, whine, and cry about it?  Certainly not!

I feel like you're making fun of me for complaining about being lonely

I just wanted to share how I feel with some other people who might feel the same way

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 6:57 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
I feel like you're making fun of me for complaining about being lonely.
Some people feel lonely, and just sit alone, mope, whine, and cry about it.  Others feel lonely, and get up, dress up, put on a pleasant expression, go out, and meet people.
GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
I just wanted to share how I feel with some other people who might feel the same way
The Haven is for people who need to vent without fear of seeing any critical comments.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2023, 10:53 pm

I'm not sure that I've ever felt lonely. If I have, it's been in the presence of other people...realizing how very much I do not relate to them and how much they do not relate to me. Would it be nice to have someone I 'click' with? Yeah. Am I holding my breath, waiting for that to happen? No.