Alcohol addiction is ruining my life,

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 10:43 pm

nick007 wrote:
I have no personal experience with alcohol addiction but I've known some alcoholics. If your think you have an addiction James, it might help to look at the problem from the angle of it being an addiction. There are ways to treat alcohol addiction like counseling, alcoholics anonymous groups, & some psych meds. If you have a regular doc or psych, I would recommend talking to them about your drinking issues. You seem to be a social drinker so I would recommend trying some AA meetings if that's an option in your area. That way you would have a supportive group atmosphere. It would be somewhere to go & spend time with people instead of going to the bar every week. I think it might also be helpful to try & work on your mental health more. Perhaps there's some other types of support groups in your area for some issues that you might have like autism, anxiety, or depression. Counseling might could help you as well.

All I have to do really is not drink fast and pace my pints (easier said than done I know).

PointlessStoryGirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2023, 1:49 pm

I started using alcohol to help make unmasking easier in my teens/early 20s. By my late 20s it was a problem. I would black out and behave like a psychopath. Then came the resulting shame and anxiety the next day. This continued into my early 30s. At 34 I started dating a guy who was a severe alcoholic. Watching him detox over and over ruined alcohol for me. Also his complete unreliability taught me about trust and how substance abuse ruins it. I quietly abstained at first and then we committed to abstaining together. After a bit we broke up but I wound up abstaining for over 3 years. I’m 43 now. I have a drink every now and then but my rule is no more than 2 and only on the weekend. I’m glad I spent the time getting used to functioning without it, particularly in times of stress or in large groups. Had someone told me in my twenties or early thirties that I should try living without alcohol, I would have laughed in their face. It was such a central part of my life and that needed undoing. But I know my situation is kind of unique in that it was only because of the alcoholic ruining it for me that I was able to quit. So my advice is to find an alcoholic to get in a relationship with… JUST KIDDING! Don’t do that, it’s awful. To be serious, I would find a tribe of people who do something other than drink. I started going to the gym more often and doing yoga. I spoke freely to others about my journey with alcohol and met many people that way. Online meetings or message boards are really great support too for when you’re trying to abstain. Best of luck to you!

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2023, 6:42 am

Once you start drinking do you feel you cant stop Jamesy?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 8:32 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Once you start drinking do you feel you cant stop Jamesy?

Yeah I am afraid so

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2023, 9:37 am

same

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 9:47 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
same

What I do at the moment is make 1 pint of bud light last 20 mins then take a 10 minute break before I move onto the next pint.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2023, 11:45 am

I have an unquenchable thirst and nothing will stop me except not taking the first drink. Good luck with your strategy!

My brother breaks up his drinks with diet coke

Maybe you could have a set time when you leave the pub

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 9:48 am

I had to come to the point where I was willing to try total abstinence from alcohol, and get involved in a support group to help me with that. I just celebrated 30 years of sobriety last month!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 10:37 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:
I had to come to the point where I was willing to try total abstinence from alcohol, and get involved in a support group to help me with that. I just celebrated 30 years of sobriety last month!

Now I feel guilty for drinking beer once a week

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2023, 12:27 pm

why are you feeling guilty?

I dont feel guilty for my drinking, I needed it at the time

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 12:44 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
why are you feeling guilty?

I dont feel guilty for my drinking, I needed it at the time

Well because some people never drink at all

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2023, 12:55 pm

Is that what you want?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 1:08 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Is that what you want?

Not really I just like to relax and have beer with mates at pub on a Saturday night.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2023, 1:11 pm

Fair enough, Id like that too. Unfortunately id usually become angry!

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 1:27 am

Jamesy wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Is that what you want?

Not really I just like to relax and have beer with mates at pub on a Saturday night.

Can you limit it to a couple of beers at those times?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 1:58 am

Well at least try to cut down, you really should try to find a hobby outside of going to the pub. I mean I get it you have a routine or whatever but you could change it. I mean do you always really feel like you need the drink or are you just in the habit? and like you could drink less and look into if there are any hobbies you want to do, that could be a thing to distract you from going to the pub so often.

I mean like me and my boyfriend got to drinking too much but we are both working on cutting down. THat said you speak of drinking too many 3.5 beers, me and my boyfriend are drinking like 5.0 and sometimes 6.0 beers and getting carried away with that, so like a few 3.5 beers does not sound like a problem. Seems your main problem is you need some kind of hobby or activity outside the pub. Idk You could try and go for a run, get into bike riding, work on a minature project whether it is something motorized, for a table top game or just fun display item. Idk just does seem like you should find some actvity you like and maybe do that instead of the pub all the time.