Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WilliamK1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2023, 8:28 am

verywellmind.com describes it as
''Typical OCD Thoughts
Each person with OCD will have a different experience with obsessions, but common thoughts or thought patterns include:

Aggressive or disturbing ideas (e.g. thoughts of murdering a spouse or child)
Concerns about unwittingly causing injury (e.g. hitting a pedestrian while driving)
Constant worry about catching a deadly disease and/or contaminating others with your germs
Disturbing sexual and/or religious imagery that might include sexual assault or inappropriate sexual acts
Fears about contamination with environmental toxins (e.g. lead or radioactivity)
Fear of harming inanimate objects
Fears of forgetting or losing something
Intense fear that something horrible will happen to a loved one
Profound worry about doing something extremely embarrassing (e.g. screaming out an obscenity at a funeral)
Strong need to reorder things until they feel "just right" ''

I've got a number of these and well as religious even though I will always at least semi-believe in a creator. the trauma from these thoughts has affected my nervous system and ability to sleep at night. I've done many things i regret but this is making it worse. what kind of therapy/drug/christian could help here

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 9:21 pm

I've no longer got diagnosable ocd. What worked for me was a combination of medication and CBT.

The big thing though was just accepting that it might happen. But I was more into checking. You may find that the therapist recommends something else in terms of not giving the thoughts.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 9:47 pm

ERP. You can practice it on your own, but it's best with a skilled therapist.

I have mild to moderate OCD. I think it's somewhat connected to my autistic traits.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm

colliegrace wrote:

I have mild to moderate OCD. I think it's somewhat connected to my autistic traits.

That gets confusing. Repetitive because it's calming and you like it, is probably ASD related. Repetition because magical thinking it's telling about a significant issue of you don't and having intrusive thoughts encouraging it is usually OCD.

I definitely agree on the therapist, especially if the feared outcome is actually something that had serious consequences as there are lots of effective options these days.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 3:47 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

That gets confusing. Repetitive because it's calming and you like it, is probably ASD related. Repetition because magical thinking it's telling about a significant issue of you don't and having intrusive thoughts encouraging it is usually OCD.

I definitely agree on the therapist, especially if the feared outcome is actually something that had serious consequences as there are lots of effective options these days.

Stuff like having trouble getting rid of disgusting thoughts, with or without compulsions. Always had this issue from childhood.
I've heard that OCD and autism share similar brain structure which is why the comorbidity rate is very high, but idk.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 4:27 pm

colliegrace wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

Stuff like having trouble getting rid of disgusting thoughts, with or without compulsions. Always had this issue from childhood.
I've heard that OCD and autism share similar brain structure which is why the comorbidity rate is very high, but idk.

OCD has an executive function connection. Much of my problems stemmed from completed things not registered as being completed. I'm less familiar with the connection between it and ASD, but about a third of people with ADHD have OCD and there's also significant overlap between ADHD and ASD.

nervoushabits
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2023, 10:24 pm

If I can offer one central piece of advice... you have to starve the OCD. It wants you to perform the compulsion, but the more you give it what it wants, the stronger it gets.

When you experience a trigger, you get anxious, and your body tries to defend you. If you respond to the trigger with a compulsion, then you are just validating to your brain that that trigger WAS indeed a threat. If you don't respond to the trigger with a compulsion, your brain will slowly learn that the trigger isn't a real threat.

Try each day to resist as many compulsions as you can. Start with just one a day, if that is all that you can do. Then slowly build up.

I've dealt with OCD for many years. Recovery is a slow process, especially if you are in pretty deep. It's helped me to really study what OCD is and how it works in the brain. Resisting the compulsions is so hard, especially when it is mental compulsions (for me, at least), but you have to try your best to starve it. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Try to get 1% better each day. The results, in theory, will be an exponential increase in well being.

Best of luck to you :)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 10:26 am

Have you tried psychiatric medication for OCD?

If you are superstitious, you could always visit an exorcist.