Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 3:13 am

I see this a lot on the internet, mostly from people who like to tell others "you aren't autistic". Ah, fake claiming. Gotta hate it. But let's talk about it. Can autism manifest as "just being really quirky"?

Personally for me, I thought ALL of my "quirky" traits were just.... me being quirky. Turns out that was not the case. Turns out I have clinically significant symptoms and just didn't realize it cuz I've always been this way, it must be normal.

By the age I am now, most of the stuff that would point to me "having a problem", I've learned to mask over. And when I was a kid? Well, my parents blamed it on "trauma because of the divorce".
To most people, I appear to just be a slightly strange person who doesn't make eye contact and fiddles with random objects.

I have had public meltdowns, get near constant sensory issues at work, need things done in a certain order or I get pissy, etc. But these traits are almost always under the radar. My meltdowns are all internal or become shutdowns, I can hide distress up to a certain point, and I may appear a little annoyed at times but it's easily hidden.

To most people, I definitely appear to "just be quirky".

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

timf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 11:53 am

"quirky" to whom?

The observations of others may not be accurate or complete. Consider how helpful it would be to tell someone, "You don't look like you have cancer".

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 12:36 pm

timf wrote:
Consider how helpful it would be to tell someone, "You don't look like you have cancer".

Someone literally said that to me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 12:40 pm

I'd ask them what autism looks like. ^

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 2:59 pm

Most people who fake claim think they're advocating for disabled or severely/chronically ill people when they are just harassing disabled and/or ill people in most cases.
Like, I guess it's easier to point a finger and say "hey, that guy must be a faker!" than actually do the work to advocate for people in actually helpful ways.

That, or it's someone who has a different manifestation of a condition, possibly a more severe one, who feels that people are co-opting their struggles "just to be special".

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 3:05 pm

I think people explained away my quirks when I was a child and young adult as 'she's just young and silly'.

But as I got older, late 20s onwards, I was supposed to have 'grown out of those silly quirks' and got patronised/mocked for still being so childish.

I presume I'm not being childish, I'm just being autistic. Mainly having to eat a limited number of foods or I get very ill, having to live in a quiet, temperate environment or I get stressed by too much noise/ high temperatures etc. Not understanding social situations (now that is a huge crime for a middle aged woman, I'm supposed to be a social expert by now) and needing clear explanations etc.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 3:14 pm

I wish it was just being quirky, and didn't come with the depression I suffer with at times, and the lack of social skills that makes me unattractive to others and treated like I don't have much value to society.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 3:33 pm

Some days I feel like it's just a quirk for me, but then I have days like today where I have meltdowns and am in a constant state of rage from sensory issues

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 3:35 pm

I'm older. That affects things. I couldn't be Autistic when I was young because Asperger's Syndrome wasn't added to the DSM 'til the year I turned 40.

...and I was not diagnosed until 2019, the year I turned 65.

I don't think of it that I was good at masking, because I didn't know I had anything to hide. I think I was coping.

I know folk thought I was somewhat different. I prefer the term "quirky" but they might've chosen other terms. I spoke with my Dad after I was diagnosed and his description of me when I was young was that I did "weird" things...I did not get adventurous enough to ask what words he would use to describe me as an adult.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 7:02 am

I have been told all my life that I'm 'weird' 'odd' 'funny' 'strange' and lots of similar words. People would just say it in the middle of a conversation with me. 'You're weird.' 'You are a funny girl.' 'You're a bit strange aren't you.'

To this day I have never known why. I would never dream of saying something so rude to someone!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 10:36 am

KitLily wrote:
I think people explained away my quirks when I was a child and young adult as 'she's just young and silly'.

But as I got older, late 20s onwards, I was supposed to have 'grown out of those silly quirks' and got patronised/mocked for still being so childish.

I presume I'm not being childish, I'm just being autistic. Mainly having to eat a limited number of foods or I get very ill, having to live in a quiet, temperate environment or I get stressed by too much noise/ high temperatures etc. Not understanding social situations (now that is a huge crime for a middle aged woman, I'm supposed to be a social expert by now) and needing clear explanations etc.

I understand your frustration about these “quirks”. My coworkers often mock me for eating the same foods over and over again at eateries. They always push me to “try something new” without considering my restricted diet due to food allergies. Some foods I will not eat as they have consitancies too close to things that I am allergic to. I do not eat avocados as they feel too much like eggs to me.

I have started to turn down their invitations to lunch due to their pestering. It is even worse at potlucks, as I do not know what people may have cooked into a dish. Yet, they still expect me to take a plate of it and eat it. No thanks, I think I am full is my often reply. They think I am being rude, but I think their forcing me to eat foods that may make me sick is rude.

My social circle is very small compared to others my age. That has always been the case since I was little. I would rather have a couple of really good friends than a bunch of people who I just barely know. Social events are torture for me, as I am often terrified that I do not know what to do next. It is not natural for me. Put me back in my laboratory setting and all will be fine in my world. I have no need to mask there.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 10:49 am

I have a form of language and communication issue directly coming from autism; that cannot be simply passed off as being quirky.

It goes beyond the known autistic social and behavioral bits -- it goes deeper than just social and personality "flaws".

It was just well masked by not speaking much with my native language and certain knowledge of varying topics. :lol:
Or certain habits -- habits, acquired behaviors, constructed emulation interface that feels unnatural; not really skills.

It just so happens that my own version of masking -- pretending and passing -- is not social, but verbal.

Language, not social interaction. It may be why it hurts my head for me think in words and having to "translate" it sometimes.

Academics can't detect it, small talks won't or even debates -- but IQ tests can.

The passing as verbal part may be the reason why I got diagnosed with Aspergers, and not straight up autism without intellectual disability merely because my apparent lack of speech delay (which I found was the most common developmental concern of all parents) disqualifies me from that. :roll:

Other than that?
I don't look, act or even sound like my age. At all.

Most NT 28 year olds either already have an advanced professional career, at least a certain amount of household responsibility, or married and have children or at least planning to.

I don't have that 'look'. Unless I'm very tired. :lol:
Or very regulated and hormonally balanced.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 5:22 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
I understand your frustration about these “quirks”. My coworkers often mock me for eating the same foods over and over again at eateries. They always push me to “try something new” without considering my restricted diet due to food allergies. Some foods I will not eat as they have consitancies too close to things that I am allergic to. I do not eat avocados as they feel too much like eggs to me.

I have started to turn down their invitations to lunch due to their pestering. It is even worse at potlucks, as I do not know what people may have cooked into a dish. Yet, they still expect me to take a plate of it and eat it. No thanks, I think I am full is my often reply. They think I am being rude, but I think their forcing me to eat foods that may make me sick is rude.

My social circle is very small compared to others my age. That has always been the case since I was little. I would rather have a couple of really good friends than a bunch of people who I just barely know. Social events are torture for me, as I am often terrified that I do not know what to do next. It is not natural for me. Put me back in my laboratory setting and all will be fine in my world. I have no need to mask there.

Oh I hear you loud and clear about the food! I have lots of severe food intolerances and MUST stick to the same restricted diet or I will get very sick indeed. But NTs seem to think I'm on some kind of 'weight loss diet' because I'm very thin. They say 'oh you are good for sticking to salads.' It's not 'being good'. It's 'saving my health and not becoming very ill.'

Yes my social circle is just my husband and daughter. People think I'm exaggerating but that's the truth. I don't have colleagues, relatives, friends. Just 2 people.

I had loads of friends when I was in my teens and twenties, a good social life. But it's all faded away in these days of everyone having to work 24/7 to survive.

I like living in my fantasy world of writing and imagination, it's much nicer there :heart:

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2023, 8:24 am

People may have some quirks, but I no longer believe quirky, eccentric, weird, or strange people exist.

Anyone that you'd describe with those terms actually has a mental disorder of some kind.