Anyone only had 1 relationship long ago?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

sodepressed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2023, 7:21 am

Mine was a decade ago... he left around this time then, in fact... but a decade is so long sometimes I barely can believe I did have anyone, especially as it was one of the very few times I was somewhat lucky in life (but not so much if it lasted 7 months... still, better than nothing?)

Life was so much easier in that little time, too... I so often feel so overwhelmed alone... couldn't even continue on to uni after he left (was already going to quit college before his entering my life made it so much easier I finished it, but then exited soon after college finished, as if it was some assigned mission :?)

I've been... rotting alone for a whole decade... my sister was so much luckier, it seems, hers lasting over a decade despite him being even older than me (could be her child being the glue, but it doesn't seem to be an especially dysfunctional relationship to me... unlike every single one I've ever experienced... sadly even my only romantic one kind of was, as he was on the spectrum too and his outlet when frustrated, which seemed to happen often and without much reason it seemed to me, was to bang his head... other than that, didn't talk to me much, which I suppose is an ingredient to a relationship's dissolution... he was the one who wanted to leave...)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 7:37 am

17 years ago for me, but we're still friends.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jutty1224
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2023, 8:23 am

Me too! This was in the mid 90s. This was not a gay relationship. I don't think at that time I knew what being gay meant. I met a girl who was 3 1/2 years younger than I am. There was a lot of things I didn't know or wasn't aware of at that time.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2023, 1:35 pm

I'm on four, but hell, looking back I've only ever been in love with one. Some of the others were just online chatting/cybering until they got bored/figured out I'm a mess who needs to socially recharge way too often.

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2023, 9:13 am

My last relationship was mostly online,over the phone,Skype,PS4.
And I met him once as it was long distance.

Back in 2016.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 12:07 pm

Yes, my partner passed away a decade ago. It was a pretty good 15yr run.

I've changed so much since then that I thought it best to do it alone.

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2024, 4:08 pm

I have had 3 but all were short lived and with long gaps between. Majority of my adulthood was single.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2024, 6:35 pm

I've only had one relationship IRL that ended fifteen years, ago, so I understand. (I've tried an online relationship since, it didn't ever feel real, so I tend to leave it out).

TBH, I really thought she was "the one", but no. Our relationship was a little different. We met a couple of years earlier and became friends and then best friends and then got into a relationship. Since this is the only experience I've had, it hasn't led very well to me finding someone else, because that was such a specific way that happened that isn't how most people meet and get together. And yet it's the way I know - I want to build off of strong friendships and by that I mean it started purely as a friendship, neither of us having feelings for each other. That feels so genuine when you end up having feels for each other.

It's been 15 years now, I don't even know how I'd do in a relationship now.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 6:45 pm

I had one in-person relationship over 25 years ago. It ended with her cheating on me.

My second relationship was from 2003-2006, it was long-distance, and ended because of that distance and irreconcilable differences. She and I are still friends.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 7:12 pm

Many folks on the spectrum find situational relationships easier to form and maintain. (a relationship that starts because circumstances bring people into contact on a regular basis.) Unfortunately, situations can change easily, like being at the same job or at school, or being in the same city, etc.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2024, 10:59 pm

I'm 44 and I've only really had 1 relationship and that was with a girl in my 20s, *long story* . I came out at 27, dated a guy for awhile and another guy for a brief while. After that I decided that I just wanted to be single, less drama and BS to deal with.

TBH though, at times I do long for a wonderful guy to come into my life but at 44 I'm set in my ways and not sure I could handle a relationship to tell you the truth.