Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 3:25 pm

Someone informed me that cats were not the only species that suddenly began to die off in large numbers. The same has happened in race horses. According to one article on the internet:

According to a group that opposes horse racing as inhumane, 901 thoroughbreds died in 2022 — more than two a day. Seven horses died over 10 days leading up to the Kentucky Derby in May this year.

Source: Alarming spate of racehorse deaths ...

There is even a website that tracks the number of deaths in racehorses. It currently reads:
2659 Deaths in 5981 Days
So if you compare the death rate using this website between October 2019 and now July 2023 there have been 678 deaths in racehorses in the past 1395 days.
This works out to around 0.4860 deaths per day.
Comparing that to those race horses that died from 13 March 2007 and September 2019 there have been 1981 deaths in around 4480 days.
This works out to around 0.4421 deaths per day.
Overall an increase of around 10 percent.

Yes a measurable increase but is it due to abnormal weather and the effect of large fires in Canada that polluted the air or abnormal heat waves. Hard to say. Or was it due to Betelgeuse.
-----------------------------------
So what is the analysis of the cause of unusual number of race horse deaths telling us?

The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has released the first findings into the deaths of three horses at Churchill Downs.

Since April, there have been 12 horse deaths at the world-renowned racetrack.

It's such an unusual spike in equine deaths that officials have paused horse racing at Churchill until further notice. The rest of the Spring Meet has been moved to Ellis Park for the time being.

The first horse death investigated by the KHRC was "Take Charge Briana," who was euthanized after an injury on the track on May 2.

Officials found the filly had no pre-race red flags or illegal drugs. They also said the horse had no gait abnormalities during race warm-ups.

The second report was released on "Parent's Pride." The horse had collapsed and died on April 29 and was one of the horses trained by now-suspended trainer Saffie Joseph Jr.

Officials said the necropsy found no pre-race red flags or illegal drugs either.

There were mild changes found in the heart, brain and lungs, but the veterinarian did not think it was significant enough to cause sudden death.

A third necropsy for "Freezing Point," who was euthanized after an injury on the track on May 6, found nothing strange before or after the race.

Source: Necropsy results released for three horses that died at Churchill Downs

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 4:55 pm

When Betelgeuse goes supernova, it will produce a massive explosion. The first event that we will see is a wave of neutrinos. But what happens when a massive star burp?

Massive stars at the end of their lives do not go quietly into the night. Instead, stars many times more massive than our own sun can explode in a fiery supernova, spewing their guts across the cosmos. In fact, all the heavy elements that exist—the carbon in your bones, the metal in your computer—were forged in the core of a star and spread across the universe by a supernova. An enormous amount of a supernova’s energy, a whopping 99 percent, is carried away by a burst of neutrinos ...

It’s expected that a supernova will occur in a galaxy like the Milky Way once every 10 to 50 years. Scientists caught neutrinos from a supernova in a nearby galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud, in 1987 but haven’t seen one since.

Source: Supernova neutrinos

So as far as I can determine, a pre-supernova star burp does not produce a burst of neutrinos.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 5:22 pm

There was a wave of race horse deaths at Santa Anita Race Track in California, early 2019, long before Betelgeuse burped.

Santa Anita, sitting in the shadow of southern California’s San Gabriel mountains, has always been a special place for American racing fans. Horses like Seabiscuit, Affirmed and John Henry have won famous victories on its track while, during Hollywood’s golden age, actors such as Errol Flynn, Marlene Dietrich and Bing Crosby would cheer on from the stands. But late on Tuesday night, the racetrack announced it was closing immediately as it seeks to discover why so many horses have been killed there this winter.

Since 26 December (2018), when the current winter-spring meet began, 21 horses have died during racing or training at Santa Anita – a figure markedly higher than in comparable periods over the last three years.

Source: Death on the track: why are so many horses dying at Santa Anita?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 8:08 pm

Mere coincidence is no proof of causality.

William Shakespeare wrote:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 9:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Talk about nonsequitars! :lol:

OH!

So that was NOT a nonsequitar!

When you jumped from the topic of Betelgeuse to the topic of sick cats on earth...I thought you were sharing "some unrelated headlines in science news today" and didnt get that you thought that the two things were related.

So you were implying that the kitties dying is...the RESULT of Betelgeuse acting up?????

I guess I am not paranoid enough in my mindset to make that connection between two topics like that without it being explained to me! :lol:

My bad.

So....
cats are dying, and ten percent more racehorses die....because of neutrinos from Betelgeuse hitting the earth?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 9:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
When you jumped from the topic of Betelgeuse to the topic of sick cats on earth...I thought you were sharing "some unrelated headlines in science news today" and didnt get that you thought that the two things were related.

So you were implying that the kitties dying is...the RESULT of Betelgeuse acting up?????

I guess I am not paranoid enough in my mindset to make that connection between two topics like that without it being explained to me!

My bad.

So....
cats are dying, and ten percent more racehorses die....because of neutrinos from Betelgeuse hitting the earth?

We are going to need more of  THESE .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 11:34 pm

:lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 8:53 pm

Summary
Betelgeuse the star burped a little over 3 years ago. Scientist are still flexing about what that meant. Was it a predictor of a coming supernova near our planet? How might it affect earth when she blows? It times with a plague called COVID which struck earth. A small number of near light speed particles could produce small genetic changes in viruses. Could one be related to another? Was earth struck by a small number of almost light speed particles when Betelgeuse burped? Was anything else affected. It could potentially cause a human heart to stop beating. I suffered a major heart attack during that time period. Probably not, but maybe. Normally people do not survive very long from the damage this type of stoke creates inside the brain. I lost my ability to read and also all my knowledge of spoken words. But I have made significant progress, but normally that doesn't occur. Now at the same time cat populations are dying. Yes cat plagues have occurred in the past but were they caused perhaps by an alteration of an existing strain. Something like an early version of COVID that mutated and suddenly became lethal. If so did it also affect other species such as race horses. Probably not the case in race horses. What else occurred when I was buried away in a hospital and then at home digging myself back from very severe brain damage. Are there any other strange plagues that have occurred in the past three and a half years? Perhaps when Betelgeuse finally erupts, maybe sitting out in your backyard watching the show, might not be the best idea in the world.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 5:44 am

Well...if we notice Cyberdad's space aliens suddenly ....stopping their apparently constant harrassment of the US Navy, and going conspicuously absent ...then...we can assume that they know of a reason to avoid our neighborhood!

Kinda like those animals that instinctively seek high ground just before a tsunami.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 8:15 am

jimmy m wrote:
As if we didn't have enough to worry about, there is always Betelgeuse. It is a large star about to go supernova. And it is close to Earth. Too close in my humble opinion. Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star of spectral type M1-2 and one of the largest visible to the naked eye. It is usually the tenth-brightest star in the night sky and, after Rigel, the second-brightest in the constellation of Orion. Its distance has been quite difficult to measure; current best estimates are on the order of 500–600 light-years from the Sun.

From my perspective, that is a little bit too close to Earth. So it might be a threat or maybe not. In my opinion it depends on the spin angle of the star in relationship to the Earth. I tend to think 1500 light years distance is the cut off range of the threat.

According to the article that I stumbled across today:

What’s the Deal with Betelgeuse?

In late 2019 Betelgeuse, a star within the Orion constellation, grew dim, leading to speculation that its life might be at an end and it would become a supernova. The dimming, now felt due to “dust” and stellar activity obscuring our view, has resolved. Not so the concerns over Betelgeuse.

Supernovae give off so much energy they can be seen across the universe. Something else to be concerned about is that the flood of ultraviolet and x-ray radiation from a nearby supernova can strip away Earth’s protective ozone layer.

In general, this article downplays the threat. But it still resides on my list of deep, deep threats. It is all a function of the spin angle alignment of Betelgeuse with our planet.

First of all, Betelgeuse is over 600 lightyears away from the Earth. Additionally, I am pretty sure that she blew up over 600 years ago. However, we would most likely experience the after-effects which would give up a light show in the night sky. Rather, Vega is only 24 lightyears away from us and would most likely be a greater threat to us. However, it would take 24 years for the gamma bursts to reach us. However, we wouldn't have time to process the information. It would be lights out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 6:07 pm

The OP seems to be trying to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt to sell his shelters.

Betelgeuse and Vega are exceedingly remote threats.  If it was otherwise, Cyberdad's space aliens would have warned us by now.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 7:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Betelgeuse and Vega are exceedingly remote threats.  If it was otherwise, Cyberdad's space aliens would have warned us by now.

:lol:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 12:15 pm

jimmy m wrote:
As if we didn't have enough to worry about, there is always Betelgeuse. It is a large star about to go supernova. And it is close to Earth. Too close in my humble opinion. Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star of spectral type M1-2 and one of the largest visible to the naked eye. It is usually the tenth-brightest star in the night sky and, after Rigel, the second-brightest in the constellation of Orion. Its distance has been quite difficult to measure; current best estimates are on the order of 500–600 light-years from the Sun.

From my perspective, that is a little bit too close to Earth. So it might be a threat or maybe not. In my opinion it depends on the spin angle of the star in relationship to the Earth.

So the question is what that spin angle would likely be, and with what probability distribution.

Googling to find its current axis of rotation, I found, here on a website called "Star Facts":

Quote:
In 1995, the Hubble Space Telescope captured the first direct image of the star’s disk. The ultraviolet image had a significantly better resolution than those taken by ground-based telescopes. The image confirmed the presence of a bright patch in the southwest quadrant, strongly suggesting that there was a region about 2,000 K hotter than the star’s surface.

Ultraviolet spectra obtained with the Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph on board the Hubble Space Telescope indicated that the region was located at one of the star’s poles of rotation. If this is accurate, the rotational axis is inclined about 20° to our line of sight.

Of course the axis of rotation would likely change during a supernova explosion, but how much would it likely change? I wouldn't expect a uniform probability distribution, given that a large star already has substantial angular momentum.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 9:23 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
First of all, Betelgeuse is over 600 lightyears away from the Earth. Additionally, I am pretty sure that she blew up over 600 years ago. However, we would most likely experience the after-effects which would give up a light show in the night sky. Rather, Vega is only 24 lightyears away from us and would most likely be a greater threat to us. However, it would take 24 years for the gamma bursts to reach us. However, we wouldn't have time to process the information. It would be lights out.

Vega even though it is nearer to Earth is not likely to go supernova for a very long time, whereas Betelgeuse is.

Vega is only about a tenth of the age of the Sun, but since it is 2.1 times as massive, its expected lifetime is also one tenth of that of the Sun; both stars are at present approaching the midpoint of their main sequence lifetimes. Compared with the Sun, Vega has a lower abundance of elements heavier than helium.

Source: Vega

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 9:39 am

Fnord wrote:
The OP seems to be trying to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt to sell his shelters.

The OP. That is me the original poster.
Seems trying to spread FEAR.
No that is not true. The OP is trying to figure out a mystery. The OP suffered a very severe stroke, the kind that people do normally not recover from. It is a automatic death sentence. So among other things the OP is using what little brain is left to analyze the cause of a stroke. My heart stopped beating for around 5 minutes. Around 2 percent of my brain cells were destroyed. But since the brain works both on a series and parallel structure, it then took around another 20 percent of my brain cells down. I was able to recover that 20 percent and I am working hard on evolving the other 2 percent.

So in recovery, I feel it is helpful to consider all the possibilities including those even what some might consider remote. The real answer lies somewhere in the fog.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 9:59 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

Quote:
In 1995, the Hubble Space Telescope captured the first direct image of the star’s disk. The ultraviolet image had a significantly better resolution than those taken by ground-based telescopes. The image confirmed the presence of a bright patch in the southwest quadrant, strongly suggesting that there was a region about 2,000 K hotter than the star’s surface.

Ultraviolet spectra obtained with the Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph on board the Hubble Space Telescope indicated that the region was located at one of the star’s poles of rotation. If this is accurate, the rotational axis is inclined about 20° to our line of sight.

Of course the axis of rotation would likely change during a supernova explosion, but how much would it likely change? I wouldn't expect a uniform probability distribution, given that a large star already has substantial angular momentum.

--------------------------------------------

If further analysis holds that to be true, then the current spin angle of Betelgeuse might not pose a dramatic threat to Earth.

But it still fails to understand what happened beginning at the end of 2019 (Earth time) when Betalgeuse hiccuped.