Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 4:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Those same value shifts are playing out all over the world. Same here. There are a lot more heterosexual couples deciding Not to have children in order to pursue educations, careers, sports, leisure time, travelling etc. There's no longer this same societal expectation that you get hitched and start pumping out as many babies as God wills. People are doing whatever the f**k they want with their lives.

Although, many who want to start families and/or own their own home are leaving the area - relocating across the country anywhere cheaper so they can afford to house and feed a kid. Plenty of people who decide to stay here either delay having kids or never have kids because they can barely afford to house and feed themselves, so adding kids isn't a viable option unless you want to raise them in poverty OR you earn a LOT of money.

To borrow a made-up diagnosis high levels of affluence are creating "affluenza". The countries with the highest education levels and development are creating children who are more and more self-absorbed. Social media amplifies this. More individualism >family values.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 4:13 pm

Honey69 wrote:

At least in China there is also a rise in overseas marriage. But as in South Korea, Taiwan and Japan, marriage doesn't necessarily translate to 2 kids and home with a swimming pool.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 4:23 pm

Many hospitals in China stop newborn delivery services as birth rate drops

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/man ... 6c3675c604

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2024, 4:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
So the "One Child Policy" of not too long ago was TOO successful. . .
Another reason why Communism doesn't work.

this has nothing to do with communism!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 8:49 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Many hospitals in China stop newborn delivery services as birth rate drops

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/man ... 6c3675c604

Signs

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 9:01 pm

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
So the "One Child Policy" of not too long ago was TOO successful. . .
Another reason why Communism doesn't work.

this has nothing to do with communism!

If there's a tangent to complain about communism, Fnord will find it, no matter how irrelevant.

It doesn't matter that a One Child Policy has nothing inherently to do with communism, it's still another reason to whine about communism.

Just don't point out that late stage capitalism seems to be almost effective as a one child policy at reducing fertility rates. That's not due to the flaws of capitalism, in fact, it'll probably be cited another reason why communism doesn't work if you hang out here long enough.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 9:16 pm

I find it ironic...

China went from forced abortions and sterlizations during their 'One Child Policy'.

Meanwhile one could argue that my country, the United States, is forcing births by banning and criminalizing abortion. Even ones that could potentially be life-threatening.

:?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 1:16 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I find it ironic...

China went from forced abortions and sterlizations during their 'One Child Policy'.

Meanwhile one could argue that my country, the United States, is forcing births by banning and criminalizing abortion. Even ones that could potentially be life-threatening.

China went from rural based population having more kids > food so in the 1960s to avoid the population bomb they opted for the one-child policy. Today the population is more urbanised and affluence is lowering the fertility rate (which sounds contradictory at first but makes sense). So the CCP is desperate to pull China from negative population growth.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 7:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I find it ironic...

China went from rural based population having more kids > food so in the 1960s to avoid the population bomb they opted for the one-child policy. Today the population is more urbanised and affluence is lowering the fertility rate (which sounds contradictory at first but makes sense). So the CCP is desperate to pull China from negative population growth.

I'm aware of their reasons for it. I'm just saying it's kinda weird given what's going on here in the US when they overturned Roe vs Wade.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 11:00 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I'm aware of their reasons for it. I'm just saying it's kinda weird given what's going on here in the US when they overturned Roe vs Wade.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 11:02 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

Yup. That's it in a nutshell. :nerdy: