FIFA Women's Football World Cup 2023

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 6:40 am

Is anyone else watching this tournament?

I love these big competitions e.g. World Cup, European Cup, Winter, Summer and Para- Olympics, Wimbledon etc. even though I'm the least sporty person ever.

Fantastic game just now with England v Haiti! I thought Haiti would be a walkover but no!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 7:09 am

It's a pity if people aren't watching this tournament because it is extremely good.

Talented footballers giving their all, and the best thing for me is the well-behaved crowds watching. I haven't seen reports of any violence, racism, drunkenness etc. The supporters sit together in the crowd, they aren't separated into teams, and there are children and families sitting in safety among them. It's so refreshing to see this, after so many decades of violent hooligans ruining men's football matches.

I just watched an amazing match between Colombia and Germany, as you can imagine that was a very passionate and fast moving game!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 7:42 am

Spain v Japan, Canada v Australia.

I'd have chosen my winners just from those names, but it was a lot more complicated.

England v China tomorrow, who will leave the tournament????

I'm also pleased that they are taking concussion very seriously in this tournament. In the men's game I've noticed a lot of players just playing on with concussion but at last it seems to be getting taken seriously. Hopefully this attitude will filter into the men's game too.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 11:19 am

Well done the Lionesses, into the last 16 !

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 11:33 am

Yeah well done although I struggle to see the point of 11 minutes added on when it's already 6-1. It just seems pointless to me.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 3:28 pm

Yes it's great they got through! So nice to see England doing well at anything.

I agree, what was the point of 11 minutes of extra time? Why? Were there lots of injuries? I only remember a few.

It's high time they stopped the clock when there is an injury, so they can measure the time accurately. They do that in rugby, so why not football?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 8:25 am

The Jamaica v Brazil match today was fantastic!

It's like watching football matches from years ago when they used to be fun and not full of violent fans and brand sponsorship 24/7.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2023, 4:46 am

Blimey this match England v Nigeria!

Talk about difficult and violent! I can barely watch! 8O

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 6:59 am

Wow, England through to the final? Can't believe it!

If this was the men's team, I'd fear all sorts of hooliganism and violence would happen now, but hopefully the fans following the women's team aren't so horrible.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 9:11 am

So the final is over! I'm sad it's ended!

I have so enjoyed this tournament. Well organised. Full stadiums. Well behaved and polite fans, who sat together instead of being separated into teams. No violence.

Very well done Australia and New Zealand. They set a high standard for the next host of the Women's Football World Cup in 2028.

And thanks for providing a huge boost to girls and women round the world who want to be footballers and probably to other sportswomen too. Women can do it. We can succeed in whatever we want to do, be respected and empowered.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 10:15 am

This is the kind of thing that puts me off:
I can't believe the owner of the Daily Mail cares one way or the other about football, but he does care about brainwashing his readers. I sympathise a bit with the UK team who lost, but somebody had to lose it. What I don't like is this insinuation that the British are a master race who will show the world how superior they are now they're no longer shackles by the EU. So in a way it's kind of gratifying that they lost. Maybe it'll put another dent in what little remains of the gov's popularity, as it happened on their watch. Stupid because the result of a football match isn't that important, but every little helps to damp down the gov's confidence.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 11:54 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
This is the kind of thing that puts me off:

(I'm not re-posting that Daily Mail rubbish)

I can't believe the owner of the Daily Mail cares one way or the other about football, but he does care about brainwashing his readers. I sympathise a bit with the UK team who lost, but somebody had to lose it. What I don't like is this insinuation that the British are a master race who will show the world how superior they are now they're no longer shackles by the EU. So in a way it's kind of gratifying that they lost. Maybe it'll put another dent in what little remains of the gov's popularity, as it happened on their watch. Stupid because the result of a football match isn't that important, but every little helps to damp down the gov's confidence.

Oh yes, I agree, that is madness. If England had won, the government would be blaming the EU, celebrating Brexit, going totally crazy.

To be fair though I haven't seen any insinuation that the British are a master race in the actual broadcasts of the matches. The commentary has been very professional and sensible. It's just stupid tabloids like the Mail, which are all run by the same millionaires like Murdoch, that persist in spreading that nonsense.

It's bloody stupid because the millionaire owners aren't even British. Ridiculous.

But the main point is that Australia and New Zealand provided a wonderfully organised tournament, kept the fans under control, they stepped up to the challenge very well and treated the whole thing professionally.

In the past, stadiums have refused to hold women's matches, as if they are an embarrassment. But this year women's football has stepped out from the shadows to show how exciting their sport can be for everyone! 8)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 12:22 pm

KitLily wrote:
To be fair though I haven't seen any insinuation that the British are a master race in the actual broadcasts of the matches. The commentary has been very professional and sensible. It's just stupid tabloids like the Mail, which are all run by the same millionaires like Murdoch, that persist in spreading that nonsense.

No they won't spell out the master race thing, though some of the far-right "supporters" of male football will come pretty close. I think the message comes from the symbolism - teams are said to "represent" the UK and Spain, and then they have a symbolic fight to find out who's best. Not that I think it affects everybody, or that it means there's anything inherently bad about enjoying a contest or organising one well.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 12:30 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
No they won't spell out the master race thing, though some of the far-right "supporters" of male football will come pretty close. I think the message comes from the symbolism - teams are said to "represent" the UK and Spain, and then they have a symbolic fight to find out who's best. Not that I think it affects everybody, or that it means there's anything inherently bad about enjoying a contest or organising one well.

I think you're reading a bit too much into it. We could say that about all sport then couldn't we. Every international competition could be seen as some kind of master race, symbolic situation then.

e.g. at the moment I'm watching the World Athletics Championship, is that a master race, symbolic situation?

And I'd certainly rather watch a sporting competition with countries competing rather than an actual war between countries!

But the main point isn't anything to do with British supremacy or anything like that. It's the excellent organisation by Australia and New Zealand of the Women's Football World Championship and the long overdue promotion of women's football to a sport worth watching.

What inspiration it has given to girls and women round the world who want to be footballers or do any other types of sport. Representation matters. If all we see are boys and men playing sport, it won't encourage girls and women.

I'm looking forward to the next tournament in 4 years time :bounce:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2023, 6:35 am

KitLily wrote:

I think you're reading a bit too much into it. We could say that about all sport then couldn't we. Every international competition could be seen as some kind of master race, symbolic situation then.

e.g. at the moment I'm watching the World Athletics Championship, is that a master race, symbolic situation?

I think that sport tends to cause nationalistic fervour, and I think that Daily Mail headline shows the way the ruling class tries to encourage that to happen. Not that I'm saying it's 100% effective. I'm sure it depends on the individual. And I don't think nationalism is the only result of sport.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2023, 8:16 am

It was too early in the States to see the final. 6AM on the East Coast, 3AM on the West Coast!