Oppenheimer VS Barbie: Which One Would You Watch First?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Which One Is More Appealing to You that You Will Watch First?
Oppenheimer 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
Barbie 25%  25%  [ 8 ]
I Will Try to See Both Barbie and Oppenheimer regardless as a Double Feature or Not 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Neither 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 32

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2023, 7:05 am

^
Yeah. Thats what I guessed.

And I clicked the "show spoiler" thing, and learned that I was either ...right or wrong. Dont wanna be a spoiler.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jul 2023, 8:16 am

Fnord wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Oppenheimer VS Barbie: Which One Would You Watch First?
Uhh . . . tough choice . . .

I think I would rather watch "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" all over movie again.
I like this idea the best so far. If you lived near us, I'd seriously suggest a double date night.

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
I don't follow new movies at all. I wait until the dust settles and see what the critics say, even if I disagree with critics.
Same here. I used to watch new movies a lot with my parents when one of my cousins was manager at the theater & we could get in for free :mrgreen: We also went a lot when I was working nights at WalMart & I was coming in on an off night; the time I clocked in didn't matter on off nights so we'd sometimes see a movie & then my parents dropped me off at work after. I haven't watched a lot of movies since I quit working there thou & I don't really care about seeing most movies since. Some of it might be an ADD focus issue, it's harder to to focus for that long. I don't care what the critics say either. I like some movies that are considered really bad & I dislike some movies that get excellent ratings & reviews. I only know about a couple movies that are currently out or will be coming out. Only movie I'm looking forward to seeing is the Netflix romantic comedy Mother Of The Bride & that's mostly because Miranda Cosgrove is in it :drunken: :heart: I think it just finished filming so don't know when it will be out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 7:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Actually she is probably also wrong about Barbie. Its supposed to be social satire (again- thats my impression-havent seen either movie). It IS big with grown women who are nostalgic about Barbie ...apparently. But the movie seems to have dark undertones...not suited for little girls.

That's the impression I get from the trailer. I'm watching Barbie tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out. Personally I used to play with Barbies as a kid. I made one of them a supervillian and the other a hero.

You know what they say about bad publicity. The backlash against this film has me curious to see if there's any truth behind what people are saying.

The way I think about Barbie has since changed from when I was a kid. In regards to plastic waste, that is. Turns out life in plastic isn't fantastic.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's either so bad it's good or it's an entertainingly jarring social satire. I am curious to see what direction this movie will take. Of course, I won't spoil it.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 8:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CsTzVyZP4M

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 8:21 am

Still have not seen Oppenheimer.

I am familiar with the story about Robert Oppenheimer and the creation of the atomic bomb. I've watched documentaries. Sad to say, the primary reason I will pay to see this three hour movie is because I want to know how Richard Feynman is depicted. :lol: I know he's there. It's in the IMDB, but it could be as small as "This is Richie Feynman. He's doing math stuff."

Ever since the late 1980s when I saw my first documentary about Richard Feynman on PBS I have found him interesting. I've watched all the documentaries I could find, and all the reading all the books that Richard or Ralph Leighton wrote. I'm not as laser beam focused on Richard any more, but when something comes out, I like to read or watch it. So I want to see Oppenheimer for one man that demonstrated how insecure the documents were by picking the locks to the filing cabinets where they were stored. :lol: Maybe that's in the movie, or that when he road into town to visit his wife Arline in the hospital, he rode with the man that was selling secrets. I think that's true (???). I'm not going to fact check that. That is rabbit hole/tangent territory.

I saw Barbie about two weeks ago. I've posted this elsewhere, but didn't see it because of Barbie. I watched it because Greta Gerwig wrote (with her husband) and directed it. I've liked the other films she has written and directed.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2023, 10:42 am

https://www.salon.com/2023/08/09/peddle ... ng-member/

Quote:

Bill Maher calls "Barbie" movie a "preachy, man-hating" zombie lie

Greta Gerwig's billion-dollar box office hit "Barbie" has not been met without criticisms from both sides of the political spectrum from Sen. Ted Cruz to Rep. Matt Gaetz. Now comedian Bill Maher joins the ranks. "Real Time with Bill Maher" host took to Twitter (X) on Monday to rant about the "preachy, man-hating, and a #ZombieLie" that is the "Barbie" movie.

He described a "zombie lie" as "Something that never was true, but certain people refuse to stop saying it (tax cuts for the rich increase revenues, e.g.); OR something that USED to be true but no longer is, but certain people pretend it's still true." And the "Barbie" film was an example of a zombie lie.

Maher stated in an extended tweet that his biggest issue with the film was the inaccuracy of the fictional Mattel board members, who represented one of the many forms of patriarchy in the film, which did not accurately reflect the gender breakdown shown in real life. In actuality, the Mattel board consists of seven men and five women, which Maher mentioned is closer to national data on gender in the corporate world "where 45% of the 449 board seats filled last year in Fortune 500 companies were women." He also called the film "so 2000-LATE," a misquoted lyric from the Black Eyed Peas' song "Boom Boom Pow."

He went on to say that the film was fun and that he enjoyed it but it is still a "#ZombieLie. And people who don't go along with zombie lies did not take some red pill – just staying true to CURRENT reality. Let's live in the year we're living in!"

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 9:39 am

Despite my earlier assertion I have now seen Barbie, but not yet Oppenheimer.

Barbie was good, it's a smart movie.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 9:07 am

The lead role in Oppenheimer is Cillian Murphy & I really liked him in Peaky Blinders, so I will go for that one.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 9:23 am

Out of the 2 I went to see Barbie. And I loved it.

I played with Barbie dolls as a kid in the 80s and when I saw that the logo was in the 80s font, I knew this film was for me.

As a single aspie woman I really liked the controversial end. Some of us need to find out own destiny and we don't fit the mould. It's not a kids movie, but I wish I'd had more of this positive you can be by yourself and be happy stuff as a child.

To be honest I was disappointed with the end of the litte Mermaid when I saw it in the cinema in 1988. I had a book of the story and I liked the sad ending.

Barbie at least has a happy ending.

All the men moaning about the Ken portrayal don't understand that we didn't play with Ken. He was superfluous and that's reflected in the set up of Barbieland. It's just how we played.

I'm glad he got to find himself and his own destiny because he was hard done by all us girls. He does deserve more. We don't hate Ken, we just overlooked him. We don't hate men, we just need to find ourselves first. We all do, men and women.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 4:46 pm

Only movie I wanted to see this year was Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and I was NOT disappointed. Barbie and Oppenheimer both seemed equally boring to me.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 10:03 pm

I just watched Barbie. I enjoyed it. I found it clever.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 12:40 pm

I just watched Oppenheimer.

It brought back some chilling memories of my career in the federal civil service. I had a Q clearance and everything.

The s**t going around was non-stop. You really had to watch your back at all times.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 5:44 pm

Honey69 wrote:
I just watched Oppenheimer.

It brought back some chilling memories of my career in the federal civil service. I had a Q clearance and everything.

The s**t going around was non-stop. You really had to watch your back at all times.

Well now we know who Q is.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 8:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Well now we know who Q is.

:lol: No, not I.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_clearance

It took years to get the clearance. They interviewed a lot of people from my past. They really dig deep.

They're mainly looking for illegal drug use. I'm one of the most drug-free people I know (at least for the illicit stuff).

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 8:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSKbkAqMIg