Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 9:57 am

My brother once said in regards to overweight people "I don't know if I really belive in the fat gene because I think it is just what we put in our fridge" and he continued "Being fat is a sign of weakness not genetics."

Do you think my brother is right about that or not? He said this way back in 2011.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 10:10 am

It's a complex issue. There are diverse reasons for obesity. There's not a single cause. Even if genes do not typically play a big role, it's not necessarily a sign of weakness or a lack of self-control.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 10:25 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It's a complex issue. There are diverse reasons for obesity. There's not a single cause. Even if genes do not typically play a big role, it's not necessarily a sign of weakness or a lack of self-control.

My brothers a bit of a hypocrite because he weighs 212 pounds at 6ft0 1/2 (it's not all muscle weight either)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jul 2023, 6:03 pm

It seems to me like physical & menial health in general can play a major role in someone being overweight or underweight. Some people do consider health issues a sign of weakness but those people probably can not relate to facing bad circumstances in life or they hate themselves & project their hatred onto others which should be considered unhealthy.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 7:29 pm

Obesity may be genetic, behavioral, or a mixture of both.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2023, 7:05 am

There are people who live to eat and others who eat to live. I suspect genes plays a role in that. I think some people adapted to famine better than others but now it has become a disadvantage.

Once you become fat your hormones change and you become more hungry than someone who never became overweight.

Processed food industry and snack culture and 24/7 availability is definitely a cause. I dont think you get to 600lbs without it.

Mental health. (or weakness !)

There are loads of reasons for obsesity even though its tempting to to solve the puzzle in a shallow one liner.

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk on 02 Aug 2023, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 7:15 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Once you become fat your hormones change and you become more hungry than someone who never became overweight.

I don't know if that's true or not but I'm sure I do remember reading something about obesity in children being a strong indicator of weight issues in later life. It may be a factor, along with the many others people have suggested.

It's reminded me of a photo of me as a toddler where I'm basically spherical. I'd forgotten all about that photo, haven't seen it in decades. I don't know why I was so fat in that photo. I'll have to ask my mum next time I see her.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2023, 12:17 pm

People who are obese arent as sensitive to leptin (the feeling full hormone) and insulin. So leptin insensitivity will make you ravenous. Insulin insensitivity means body produces more insulin which encourages body fat storage.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/hea ... d-hormones

"People who are obese have hormone levels that encourage the accumulation of body fat."

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 1:17 pm

either.both.

my husbands friend is thin and he lives with his daughter divorced from the mother
the daughter is overweight even tho he doesnt overfeed her.her mother was overweight

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 9:21 pm

Quite often it’s because of medication the person takes, like hormonal contraception, steroids for autoimmune disorders and cancer, SSRI, or mood stabilizers. Prednisone can cause people to gain around 100 lbs in just a couple of months.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 7:08 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Quite often it’s because of medication the person takes, like hormonal contraception, steroids for autoimmune disorders and cancer, SSRI, or mood stabilizers. Prednisone can cause people to gain around 100 lbs in just a couple of months.

I have been on medication for 6 years and have gone from 150 to 170 lbs at 5ft7 3/4.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2023, 5:48 am

I saw a documentary last year that made the point that while there have been obese people throughout history, it wasn't the epidemic that it is now. So much so that it pointed out that the weights of obese people once displayed in 'freak' shows, were rare then, but not uncommon now.

What changed? Two things.

1. Global supply chains sharply increased access to calories. This is what people usually think about when considering obesity.

2. Probably just as important (maybe more-so), but not as often factored in, is the sharp rise in highly processed factory foods. Not only are they calorie dense, but they often contain chemicals that aren't well studied. Those that are, are shown to disrupt some of our internal processes.

They advised cutting out the most overly processed pseudo-'foods'. One piece of advice I once read that seems logical is to avoid level four processed food on a one to four scale of food processing illustrated thus:

Level 1: Pick an apple from the tree (or store)
Level 2: Wash/cut up/peel/core the apple
Level 3: Bake a home made apple pie
Level 4: Store bought apple pie, pumped full of additives

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Aug 2023, 9:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've been taking Prednisone/Prednisolone off & on for the last 7/8 years(mostly on for the last 5/6) for eczema & allergies & I've gained lots of weight during that time. Most of my body fat is in my upper body. However during that time I started binge-eating on snacks due to stress of independent living & relationship issues & I've became less active. I kinda checked out & quit caring about my health as much. Ironically I've been losing weight mostly for the last year & a half after starting an antipsychotic that can cause weight gain, Seroquel. The reason I started losing weight is because my doc was worried about me being prediabetic & potentially gaining more weight after starting Seroquel so she prescribed me Ozempic. I've also been trying to be more active & I cut down on binge-eating partly due to not having money & partly to be healthier. Ozempic has been having a major shortage due to people taking it to lose weight, at least that's the official explanation from the company. I'd bet they're voluntarily not manufacturing enough so they can hike their prices up while spending less on production costs, aka greed. My dose got increased because the lower doses are having more of a shortage but I started having bad gastrointestinal side-effects & quit taking it. I've been doing a bit of research & lots of the newer meds like Ozempic are having shortages & likely would not be covered by my health insurance so I'll ask my doc about switching to an older type of med during my next appointment. I'm interested in Glyset/Miglitol because it's an older med & doesn't seem like it would interact with the other various meds I'm on. I'm also in the process of trying to switch Prednisolone to a different type of med because Pred has not been helping my allergies or eczema for a long time but trying to get off of it causes rebound effects.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 10:06 am

It's more complicated than that.
Too many factors.

I'm one of those lucky ones who do not need to go through strict dietary practices and maintain regular intense exercise in order to maintain a slim figure and not gaining much weight...

If I didn't inherited my mom's particular genes, based on my lifestyle habits, I would've been easily obese.
Or, if I inherited my dad's particular genes instead -- I'd likely be morbidly obese, dealing diabetes and high blood pressure like plenty of my relatives do on his side of the family.

Not that I even cared to begin with, but I like the convenience of my body not fluctuating in sizes and weight.
... If only that were true, internally, hormonally, cognitively, emotionally. I'm not really healthy as I my body weight suggests.

There's something off with my metabolic processes somewhere... I'm not even taking meds yet I'm considering it if my 'natural' is my life harder regardless of situations -- which it is, I'm still coping with this mystery fluctuations and inner discomfort of a 'default'.

And gaining weight and/or not losing it is not an apparent symptom of.

And that's not even starting on the realms of neurobiology and psychology relevant to executive function that is self regulation; that is so-called 'not being weak, having discipline and always making right choices'. :roll:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 10:40 am

Fat gene is just a load of made up rubbish for scammers to make money on peoples innocence in my view.

I had a friend who thought he had this fat gene and he was injecting actual steroids, then he had a heart attack and died because he was injecting steroids, it messes with your heart. Anyway, turns out the guy selling him steroids was going on about it stopping a fat gene so he could become nice and trim but it was all lies just so he could take his money.

It's been proven many times with morbidly obese people they can lose extreme weight very fast if they were to only water fast or have a gastric bypass done. Lots of the morbidly obese people do the snake diet, I don't recommend it as it can be dangerous but you can see from the before and afters how easy it actually is for anyone.

You literally cannot drop fat if you're eating mounds of hidden sugar and carbs. The usual scenario is a lot of the morbidly obese people simply don't know what they're doing and need professional guidance from a doctor.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 11:29 am

Lunella wrote:
Fat gene is just a load of made up rubbish for scammers to make money on peoples innocence in my view.

I had a friend who thought he had this fat gene and he was injecting actual steroids, then he had a heart attack and died because he was injecting steroids, it messes with your heart. Anyway, turns out the guy selling him steroids was going on about it stopping a fat gene so he could become nice and trim but it was all lies just so he could take his money.

It's been proven many times with morbidly obese people they can lose extreme weight very fast if they were to only water fast or have a gastric bypass done. Lots of the morbidly obese people do the snake diet, I don't recommend it as it can be dangerous but you can see from the before and afters how easy it actually is for anyone.

You literally cannot drop fat if you're eating mounds of hidden sugar and carbs. The usual scenario is a lot of the morbidly obese people simply don't know what they're doing and need professional guidance from a doctor.

You should read the following link Lunella.

I saw something similar to the following article on the news today - and apparently the hypothalamus may be dysregulated in a lot of people who are obese.

I don't personally buy into the fat blaming theories out there, as they seem incongruent with my own experiences. I was very thin once and eating almost the exact same diet, became overweight as I became older.

An obese person can eat less than the recommended total calorie intake for their biological sex, whether that be male or female (2500 or 2000) and still pile on the pounds.

I agree that hidden sugars and carbs don't help obesity, but there are plenty of averagely weighted persons and even thin persons who eat junk food, out there.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/health-fitness/struggling-lose-weight-down-way-30655674