Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 11:52 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Lunella wrote:
Fat gene is just a load of made up rubbish for scammers to make money on peoples innocence in my view.

I had a friend who thought he had this fat gene and he was injecting actual steroids, then he had a heart attack and died because he was injecting steroids, it messes with your heart. Anyway, turns out the guy selling him steroids was going on about it stopping a fat gene so he could become nice and trim but it was all lies just so he could take his money.

It's been proven many times with morbidly obese people they can lose extreme weight very fast if they were to only water fast or have a gastric bypass done. Lots of the morbidly obese people do the snake diet, I don't recommend it as it can be dangerous but you can see from the before and afters how easy it actually is for anyone.

You literally cannot drop fat if you're eating mounds of hidden sugar and carbs. The usual scenario is a lot of the morbidly obese people simply don't know what they're doing and need professional guidance from a doctor.

You should read the following link Lunella.

I saw something similar to the following article on the news today - and apparently the hypothalamus may be dysregulated in a lot of people who are obese.

I don't personally buy into the fat blaming theories out there, as they seem incongruent with my own experiences. I was very thin once and eating almost the exact same diet, became overweight as I became older.

An obese person can eat less than the recommended total calorie intake for their biological sex, whether that be male or female (2500 or 2000) and still pile on the pounds.

I agree that hidden sugars and carbs don't help obesity, but there are plenty of averagely weighted persons and even thin persons who eat junk food, out there.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/health-fitness/struggling-lose-weight-down-way-30655674

Thank you, very interesting.

I have always thought there's something either psychological or brain related at fault as well it makes a lot of sense. I can't buy into the fat gene thing after seeing so many people scammed for so long though.

Binge eating is a big one and that's basically something to do with how you feel mentally. Like The Whale movie that was actually quite eye opening to how sensitive some people are.

And yes you're correct there are unknown underlying health issues at fault but I believe these aren't exactly too common though. The vast majority of people will certainly cut fat if they are consuming less and basically just brute force. I do take a bit of an interest in the all meat diet actually that's really intriguing as a lot of people have healed their autoimmune issues, probably the same in the reverse with the vegan diet as you're cutting something out that your body most likely doesn't want.

I believe a lot of the chemicals in the food probably don't help either, but it's hard to say because there's so much nonsense on the internet it's hard to find where to turn when you do struggle to lose it for other reasons.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 2:47 pm

Lunella wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Lunella wrote:
Fat gene is just a load of made up rubbish for scammers to make money on peoples innocence in my view.

I had a friend who thought he had this fat gene and he was injecting actual steroids, then he had a heart attack and died because he was injecting steroids, it messes with your heart. Anyway, turns out the guy selling him steroids was going on about it stopping a fat gene so he could become nice and trim but it was all lies just so he could take his money.

It's been proven many times with morbidly obese people they can lose extreme weight very fast if they were to only water fast or have a gastric bypass done. Lots of the morbidly obese people do the snake diet, I don't recommend it as it can be dangerous but you can see from the before and afters how easy it actually is for anyone.

You literally cannot drop fat if you're eating mounds of hidden sugar and carbs. The usual scenario is a lot of the morbidly obese people simply don't know what they're doing and need professional guidance from a doctor.

I saw something similar to the following article on the news today - and apparently the hypothalamus may be dysregulated in a lot of people who are obese.

I don't personally buy into the fat blaming theories out there, as they seem incongruent with my own experiences. I was very thin once and eating almost the exact same diet, became overweight as I became older.

An obese person can eat less than the recommended total calorie intake for their biological sex, whether that be male or female (2500 or 2000) and still pile on the pounds.

I agree that hidden sugars and carbs don't help obesity, but there are plenty of averagely weighted persons and even thin persons who eat junk food, out there.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/health-fitness/struggling-lose-weight-down-way-30655674

I have always thought there's something either psychological or brain related at fault as well it makes a lot of sense. I can't buy into the fat gene thing after seeing so many people scammed for so long though.

Binge eating is a big one and that's basically something to do with how you feel mentally. Like The Whale movie that was actually quite eye opening to how sensitive some people are.

And yes you're correct there are unknown underlying health issues at fault but I believe these aren't exactly too common though. The vast majority of people will certainly cut fat if they are consuming less and basically just brute force. I do take a bit of an interest in the all meat diet actually that's really intriguing as a lot of people have healed their autoimmune issues, probably the same in the reverse with the vegan diet as you're cutting something out that your body most likely doesn't want.

I believe a lot of the chemicals in the food probably don't help either, but it's hard to say because there's so much nonsense on the internet it's hard to find where to turn when you do struggle to lose it for other reasons.

I think, like you imply, there are multiple reasons for obesity, including a lot of chemicals or additives/preservatives which probably don't help people maintain a healthy system in terms of their gut & the breakdown of fat etc.

Sure, there are people who just eat too much. But then again, there are so many variations in terms of a persons metabolism, how fast it is, how fast a person loses weight when eating a certain amount over a long period of time, or conversely, how fast a person gains weight & so on.

That's not even counting things like thyroid issues, or even mental health issues which people cannot necessarily help themselves with, that drive over consumption of the wrong types of food. Some medications can cause weight gain and are necessary to maintain good mental health for mentally ill folk.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 3:09 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Lunella wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Lunella wrote:

I think, like you imply, there are multiple reasons for obesity, including a lot of chemicals or additives/preservatives which probably don't help people maintain a healthy system in terms of their gut & the breakdown of fat etc.

Sure, there are people who just eat too much. But then again, there are so many variations in terms of a persons metabolism, how fast it is, how fast a person loses weight when eating a certain amount over a long period of time, or conversely, how fast a person gains weight & so on.

That's not even counting things like thyroid issues, or even mental health issues which people cannot necessarily help themselves with, that drive over consumption of the wrong types of food. Some medications can cause weight gain and are necessary to maintain good mental health for mentally ill folk.

Yep, everyone is different, all very valid points.

Personally I don't believe in metabolic damage, I'm starting to think it's another salesman trick. I've gone through so much stuff I'm sick of reading about it to be honest with you, far too many conflicting articles, studies etc.

I'm not sure about thyroid because there's a lot of personal trainers arguing it's a load of s**t but we will see what happens in the future when more research is done. I often thought I had that problem myself but a lot of people are saying it only causes like a fraction of damage... Hmm. Again, far too much nonsense on the internet you never know what to believe anymore. You can even mangle your mind by going through clinical studies only to find out a week later it's already been disproven... such a bloody headache.

I think honestly it's about discovering your own body and needs as everyone is different to some level. Fasting works great for some, but others unlike me with POTS I would literallysuffer lol

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2023, 3:16 pm

Lunella wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Lunella wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Lunella wrote:

Yep, everyone is different, all very valid points.

Personally I don't believe in metabolic damage, I'm starting to think it's another salesman trick. I've gone through so much stuff I'm sick of reading about it to be honest with you, far too many conflicting articles, studies etc.

I'm not sure about thyroid because there's a lot of personal trainers arguing it's a load of s**t but we will see what happens in the future when more research is done. I often thought I had that problem myself but a lot of people are saying it only causes like a fraction of damage... Hmm. Again, far too much nonsense on the internet you never know what to believe anymore. You can even mangle your mind by going through clinical studies only to find out a week later it's already been disproven... such a bloody headache.

I think honestly it's about discovering your own body and needs as everyone is different to some level. Fasting works great for some, but others unlike me with POTS I would literallysuffer lol

Well, whatever the reason overweight or obese people are like they are, they have good company because in the UK at least, we are an overweight nation in general.

So, huzzah to food! :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:33 am

I think it's both genetic and lifestyle, and I don't think we can always control the latter.

I do think having a healthy weight is often difficult because tasty calories are easy to get these days, and because a lot of the natural exercise humans used to get has disappeared.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 10:27 am

Honestly, it's not really, either. It's a reflection of how incompetent the advice being given is. It's been known since the '40s that cutting calories to lose weight doesn't work. The body adapts by reducing the calories burned to match and in extreme cases, it leads to loss of cognitive function until the calories are restored. That's at roughly a 10% cut to caloric intake. In other words, you can't diet to lose weight, the body won't let that happen and if you do manage it for a few months, the weight always comes back eventually after you stop.

Likewise, you can't exercise to burn off the excess calories either as the body can't push itself hard enough for long enough to get ahead of the calories coming in. In fact, you'll burn virtually the same number of calories by taking a long hot bath as you will being on the treadmill for an hour as virtually all the calories being burned are from the body trying to maintain a steady temperature.

The only thing that actually works is fasting. While cutting 10% of your calories from each meal doesn't work, cutting 10% of your meals does work, as the constant bread crumbing of the next meal coming soon discourages the body from cutting back on the calories being used. It's more or less how our bodies evolved. I had a bad stomach infection many years ago, and I made it about a month on roughly a cup of yogurt a day and apart from feeling very nauseous in the mornings, I felt perfectly fine all day. I wouldn't have even gone to a doctor if it hadn't become very obvious that I wasn't eating enough to keep it up forever. I felt great through most of the day, but I just couldn't keep any food down.

As far as exercise goes, the main thing that it does in all of this is to discourage the body from reducing your muscle mass in order to cut calories, as muscles existing does burn slightly more calories than fat. It's just not enough to make muscle building a viable strategy for increasing metabolism enough to lose weight.

Which pretty much screws anybody with diabetes over, as intermittent fasting is pretty dangerous for them due to the risks associated with drops in blood sugar.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 5:53 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
The only thing that actually works is fasting.

Yes I think it's quite effective, and I'm usually so preoccupied with other things that I barely notice I haven't eaten. Plus I usually feel a bit ill for a couple of hours after getting up, so I don't mind missing breakfast. I think the stomach shrinks when it's not being stuffed full every few hours, and then it doesn't grumble so much. Being hungry (as opposed to just peckish) at mealtimes also helps me to enjoy my food. There was some research that suggested a near-starvation diet increased life expectancy and improved old-age health.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 6:48 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
The only thing that actually works is fasting.

Yes I think it's quite effective, and I'm usually so preoccupied with other things that I barely notice I haven't eaten. Plus I usually feel a bit ill for a couple of hours after getting up, so I don't mind missing breakfast. I think the stomach shrinks when it's not being stuffed full every few hours, and then it doesn't grumble so much. Being hungry (as opposed to just peckish) at mealtimes also helps me to enjoy my food. There was some research that suggested a near-starvation diet increased life expectancy and improved old-age health.

Obviously, this can be taken too far, but people need s lot less food than most imagine. Humans evolved around unpredictable meals and the liver needs a period of time before the body starts to tap the stored fat for energy.

In fact when you eat is part of how the body manages the circadian rhythm.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 6:25 am

Most people would prefer not to be fat, so if they are fat there is a reason. If the reason was as simple as being lazy, that wouldn't be very hard to overcome, so that's unlikely to be the reason. The reasons are complex, as others here have said. Sometimes food meets an emotional need. Sometimes a given person's metabolism makes weight loss very difficult. Sometimes we eat for stress or because we are anxious. Sometimes there isn't time to seek out the right foods, or fattening food is very available and an easy temptation. Lots of possibilities and combinations. Blaming or judging people without knowing what they are going through is wrong, in my opinion.