Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 1:20 am

Does anyone here have Psoriasis? I have them, it’s a skin condition, I had them for almost 47 years. I have Psoriatic Arthritis, it is relate to Psoriasis. It can be very painful. Does anyone know about it? Are there medicine?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 8:31 am

Hi Kitty,

Yes I get psoriasis very easily, the skin variety, never had it in the joints, that sounds nasty.

As always, you should see a doctor about it, not listen to strangers on the internet.

That said, this is what I know about it.

I get it mostly on my legs and scalp.

Sunlight helps enormously. My legs almost completely clear up in the spring/summer when I start wearing shorts. My scalp is much worse in the winter when I'm wearing more hats.

Doctors will prescribe steroid creams for skin psoriasis which will clear it up but it'll come back if you don't get to the cause of it. I think you can get steroid injections for the arthritis variety but again, it'll come back.

Diet and poor gut health seems to be the main cause.

When I stop eating sugar, bread, pasta, tomatoes and potatoes, it goes away completely. When I ate a ketogenic diet I had no psoriasis at all, everything returned to normal.

I don't know how possible that sort of diet would be for you? It takes a lot of effort to get started and maintain it. Alternatively you could try cutting one thing out at a time and see if it has any effect. If you eat a lot of sugar, I'd recommend cutting that first.

But if you can't do that your doctor should be able to help with both skin and joint psoriasis.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 9:37 am

Your Rheumy will be able to provide meds.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Jul 2023, 4:38 pm

I have eczema instead of psoriatic arthritis but I researched psoriatic arthritis some because at times I suspect I may have that in addition to the eczema. There are some different types of treatments for psoriatic arthritis. Like DuckHairback mentioned, the docs generally start with steroid creams. The newer types of meds are things like injections & some oral meds. The newer meds tend to be very expensive so insurance usually requires patients to try other treatments 1st. I'll suggest talking to a GP doc about a referral as a 1st step. Then go through the process of trying things.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition