Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 2:18 pm

What are some examples of people that got a lot of education and work at jobs that are unskilled?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 3:51 pm

I have known, have met, and have worked with, many people who have "lots of education", but:

-They cheated in most of their classes, and don't actually know anything about the subject.

-They did well on the theory in a classroom, but can't actually use or apply it practically in the real world.

-They selected an overly niche degree with limited utility and opportunity.

-They received all of their education from non-accredited institutions who basically exchanged money for a diploma.

-They're technically good at what they do, but they're too irresponsible to be trusted to do it.

-They're technically good at what they do, but they're too lazy to do anything with it.

-They're technically good at what they do, but they have a bad attitude and most places don't want to hire them.

-They're technically good at what they do, but there's no market for those job skills where they live.

Usually it boils down to either "They're not actually good at their chosen field", or "Even if they are good at their chosen field, they're not actually good at the job", with the occasional "you picked the wrong field" mixed in.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 4:01 pm

She took time off to raise two daughters and wanted to go back to work again.
She started at the very bottom doing menial secretarial work.
They discovered she could write and started promoting her.
She finally had money to get her teeth fixed!
She is now a senior editor!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 7:09 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What are some examples of people that got a lot of education and work at jobs that are unskilled?
-They earned a PhD in Philosophy and ended up waiting/bussing tables in an off-Broadway restaurant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cbryn
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2023, 9:37 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

Electronics technicians and pharmaceutical manufacturing requires a lot of people with various amounts of skills. I know plenty of engineers who started in non-degree roles like technicians, maintenance personnel, or operators and after 5-6 years of that could pivot to a degree or enjoyed a more supervisory or manager role

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 11:16 am

I knew an electrical engineer who worked in a hotel.
He got laid off around 1974 and moved to Hawaii where there are very few engineering jobs.
He told me that he used to design integrated circuits.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 8:23 pm

Forklift ticket
Front end loader ticket
Boiler operator ticket
Bachelor of Psychology
Certificate 3 in IT

I work as a cleaner

cbryn
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm

BTDT wrote:
I knew an electrical engineer who worked in a hotel.
He got laid off around 1974 and moved to Hawaii where there are very few engineering jobs.
He told me that he used to design integrated circuits.

that's more a symptom of being in Hawaii. There's not much work outside of defense and tourism.