Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 8:08 pm

If or when did you start losing your hair? And which type of hair?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 8:38 am

Mine started going at 16. I think I was maybe 22 when I gave up with it and shaved my head.

I've never liked how I look with a shaved head but my hairs been gone longer than I had it now.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 12:34 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Mine started going at 16. I think I was maybe 22 when I gave up with it and shaved my head.

I've never liked how I look with a shaved head but my hairs been gone longer than I had it now.

I'm sorry to hear that, DuckHairBack.

I still have a full head of hair fortunately, but I have siblings who are losing theirs at a similar age to mine.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 2:23 am

How are they handling it?

It's one of those things that seems like it's just funny to other people but can be devastating when it's you.

I'm not sure if it's worse when it happens young or older. When you're young it sucks because you're insecure about your appearance anyway. When you're older maybe its worse because you've looked a certain way for so long and then it changes and you look rapidly older.

I'm constantly amazed that we've been unable to prevent it medically, given all the other things we can do.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Aug 2023, 6:29 am

I started experiencing male-pattern bladnessin my mid 20s. I've been doing various things to try & stop/slow the hair loss because where I lost hair itches a lot. The itching is worse when I wear hats which I need to do to be outside for an extended time so I won't get sunburnt or as cold in winter. I would look into getting a hair transplant if I ever get a job & catch up on some majorly needed expenses 1st. Some of the things I'm taking affect hormones & also reduced my body & facial hair growth & lower my sex drive which are other reasons I'm taking those things.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 7:26 am

DuckHairback wrote:
How are they handling it?

I think it has knocked their confidence somewhat. They are scared of it progressing.

DuckHairback wrote:
It's one of those things that seems like it's just funny to other people but can be devastating when it's you.

Absolutely.

DuckHairback wrote:
I'm constantly amazed that we've been unable to prevent it medically, given all the other things we can do.

Same! Spacecraft can be sent to Mars, and yet the age old problem of balding and baldness remains unresolved. :D

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 7:27 am

nick007 wrote:
I started experiencing male-pattern bladnessin my mid 20s. I've been doing various things to try & stop/slow the hair loss because where I lost hair itches a lot. The itching is worse when I wear hats which I need to do to be outside for an extended time so I won't get sunburnt or as cold in winter. I would look into getting a hair transplant if I ever get a job & catch up on some majorly needed expenses 1st. Some of the things I'm taking affect hormones & also reduced my body & facial hair growth & lower my sex drive which are other reasons I'm taking those things.

A hair transplant is a good idea, providing it works. :)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2023, 5:21 am

If I was young and had some money I'd do the hair systems they offer now. Basically hairpieces which are glued on and styled. They look really natural. I'd do that before I got a transplant because you have to keep having them as your hair recedes.

I've been bald for so long now I wouldn't bother. Plus anyone who knew me would be weirded out if I suddenly showed up with a full head of hair!

I'm entitled to get an NHS wig which is almost worth doing for the comedy value because they always look awful.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2023, 8:36 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I'm entitled to get an NHS wig which is almost worth doing for the comedy value because they always look awful.

:lol:

The NHS is dreadful for a lot of things that require them to be aesthetically pleasing.

Take hearing aids for example. The NHS ones are notoriously ugly & protruding whilst you can buy them in general which are almost invisible/discreet. Which is what you'd want if you had to wear them, I imagine.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Aug 2023, 8:15 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I'd do that before I got a transplant because you have to keep having them as your hair recedes.
The hair transplant places I see commercials for on TV like Bosley & Hair Club offer guarantees & claim they will do future transplants for free if needed later. I'd guess that they would also prescribe meds like Finasteride/Proscar/Propecia & Rogaine to prevent/slow hair loss.

blitzkrieg wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

The NHS is dreadful for a lot of things that require them to be aesthetically pleasing.

Take hearing aids for example. The NHS ones are notoriously ugly & protruding whilst you can buy them in general which are almost invisible/discreet. Which is what you'd want if you had to wear them, I imagine.
I hope those wigs are not the old time giant white wigs that politicians & judges used to ware :lol:

A lot of health insurances here in the US won't cover things considered only cosmetic so hair transplants won't be covered & wigs probably won't be either in most circumstances. Thou in some cases hair transplants can be considered a tax deduction, more likely for people who work in the entertainment industry like actors & models. However meds like Finasteride were originally approved for Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy & have been around a long time & thus not very expensive so lots of insurances will cover the 5mg full strength with no problem but might not cover the 1mg strength that's used for male-pattern baldness. Thus lots of docs prescribe the 5mg pills & say to cut them into 4 pieces. The first doc who prescribed it to me wrote the prescription something like 5mg 30 1/4th tabs. The pharmacy gave me 30 5mg pills & said to cut them in 4 but I just took the whole pill. After I moved & asked my new doc to write the prescription, I said I'd been taking the 5mg pills everyday or something similar so my docs been prescribing 90 5mg pills :wink: Not really a lie by my standards & I'll readily lie to a doc anyway if I think it'll help me get what I want or need from them. I do LOTS of research & should have the right to make my own health decisions.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:13 am

I noticed the start of male pattern baldness when I was in my 20s, but it was very slow to progress. I could see by looking at male family members that it would likely happen. Of course I didn't like it, but it didn't bother me enough to look for a "cure." I don't think male pattern baldness is particularly ugly.

I once had a bout of alapecia which looked a lot more alarming. That upset me and I was very relieved when it went back to normal.

It annoys me that my remaining hair is so thin and flyaway. It's hard to keep it tidy.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:59 am

I like bald men so none of you worry if that happens.

My own hair thinned out a bit after hysterectomy. It's not really noticeable but it bothered me.

I didn't do anything to fix it except for using this shampoo which actually seems to help.

My son has very long, curly hair and it's thinning from the weight. He's almost 30.
He started using this shampoo and it's actually helped.
The shower drain is very seldom clogged anymore, except for right now lol.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 12:00 pm

My great great aunt went bald as she became old.

If I go bald I'm going to paint my head and make it a trend then everyone will want to be bald. 8)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 2:51 pm

Lunella wrote:
My great great aunt went bald as she became old.

If I go bald I'm going to paint my head and make it a trend then everyone will want to be bald. 8)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 9:14 am

Lunella wrote:

One thing you can do is have speckles tattooed on your head so it looks like you've just shaved it off instead of gone bald. Don't really get it, you still don't have hair, but I guess the point is that everyone thinks it was your choice? I don't know.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 9:23 am

DuckHairback wrote:
One thing you can do is have speckles tattooed on your head so it looks like you've just shaved it off instead of gone bald. Don't really get it, you still don't have hair, but I guess the point is that everyone thinks it was your choice? I don't know.

If you're gonna be bald you may as well embrace it, plus tattoo's are mega painful. I have the hypersensitivity so that wouldn't work.

I shall just wear my baldness with positivity. I shall rename to baldilocks. I will recruit 3 bears, armoured bears with laser eyes, and we will overthrow the government and it will then be a legal requirement to be bald. I shall be princess baldilocks and the 3 armoured bears.

Seriously tho if I did actually go bald I wouldn't give a s**t it's just one less responsibility lol.