Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 6:31 pm

^^ Hippies were often not that well-received, liked, or accepted by older people in their communities or even by some young people, especially those who were religious. It was a sizeable movement, but it was not sizeable everywhere.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 6:41 pm

Where do you live? I see dyed hair a fair bit at my job. One lady has bright purple hair and was recommending a specific brand of dye to me when I asked about it.

My mom was always strictly against hair dyeing, but religious restrictions on it are so stupid imo. For Christianity at least, there isn't even a biblical leg to stand on for that stigma.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 6:44 pm

^ Yeah, the bible says nothing about hair coloring, let alone anything against it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 6:47 pm

I live in a conservative small town.

The Bible doesn't say anything about dyed hair. It does say stuff about not drawing attention to oneself through one's physical appearance, though. Obviously, I don't give a f**k what the Bible says. I think it was written by men.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 6:52 pm

Scriptures like these make many Christians think that a natural, modest look is what God wants. If he exists, I don't give a s**t what he wants. I would try to wear the opposite. Maybe I should go out and buy a mini skirt and big, hooped earrings just in case.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 - likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

1 Peter 3:3-4 - Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.

Psalm 139:14 - I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Some might think that dying one's hair could be subverting the plan God had for his creation.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 7:14 pm

What's the worst that could happen? What's the worst you would be fine with happening?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 7:19 pm

It could dry out my hair. I really don't care what people think of me anymore. I stopped caring a long time ago. Being systematically shunned and slandered helps with that sort of thing, I've found. At some point, I had to stop caring to retain my sanity.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 7:38 pm

My aunt was involved in hippy culture. So it feels somewhat familiar to me. I have some items of clothing that fit into that style.

Yet, I also have a lot of friends who are into alternative rock. Including one who is in an alternative rock band. I have female friends who have mullets and others with dip-dyed hair. Some wear attachable pocket chains. I know a guy with really long hair. A fair few of my friends dress goth. Others slightly punk. I seem to have unintentionally fallen into the 'alternative rocker' group I guess. Not that I'm complaining. I very much feel at home.

However, I also like hippy styles and cottagecore. When I found out about goblincore, which mixes goth and cottagecore, I was very much in love.

Unfortunately, yes there is some judgement depending on where you live. I'm very fortunate that I can dress like a hippy or a goth or a 'cottagecore meets pirate' as someone once described it and no one bats an eye. I'd hate to feel restricted in style. One time a friend once told me I partially inspired her wardrobe and frankly I'm honoured by that.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 7:56 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
My aunt was involved in hippy culture. So it feels somewhat familiar to me. I have some items of clothing that fit into that style.

Yet, I also have a lot of friends who are into alternative rock. Including one who is in an alternative rock band. I have female friends who have mullets and others with dip-dyed hair. Some wear attachable pocket chains. I know a guy with really long hair. A fair few of my friends dress goth. Others slightly punk. I seem to have unintentionally fallen into the 'alternative rocker' group I guess. Not that I'm complaining. I very much feel at home.

However, I also like hippy styles and cottagecore. When I found out about goblincore, which mixes goth and cottagecore, I was very much in love.

Unfortunately, yes there is some judgement depending on where you live. I'm very fortunate that I can dress like a hippy or a goth or a 'cottagecore meets pirate' as someone once described it and no one bats an eye. I'd hate to feel restricted in style. One time a friend once told me I partially inspired her wardrobe and frankly I'm honoured by that.

My Dad was a hippy.

A lot of the restrictions people have regarding self expression, whether explicit or implied, are put upon them by workplace policies in hyper-capitalist countries.

It is difficult to have anything more than a minimum wage job and have a wild look about you, since even if it technically allowed, it is frowned upon in a lot of places.

Even in minimum wage jobs, having the wrong look can put a person at risk of never getting a promotion, so many people try to serve themselves up to work in the physical domain.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 8:05 pm

I see alt customers at my job sometimes. Latest was a dude coming in with a half-shaved head with multi-colored hair, goth makeup, a midriff shirt, and checkered pants. I loved it. Thumbs up to that dude.

I also see people who dress like me on an off day: dog collars and sometimes ears and tails.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 8:17 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

My Dad was a hippy.

A lot of the restrictions people have regarding self expression, whether explicit or implied, are put upon them by workplace policies in hyper-capitalist countries.

It is difficult to have anything more than a minimum wage job and have a wild look about you, since even if it technically allowed, it is frowned upon in a lot of places.

Even in minimum wage jobs, having the wrong look can put a person at risk of never getting a promotion, so many people try to serve themselves up to work in the physical domain.

*Sigh* Yeah, that's unfortunately true. I disliked wearing a school uniform back in school and I disliked wearing a uniform when I was working in my office job. I hate putting on a corporate mask so to speak.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 8:57 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

My Dad was a hippy.

*Sigh* Yeah, that's unfortunately true. I disliked wearing a school uniform back in school and I disliked wearing a uniform when I was working in my office job. I hate putting on a corporate mask so to speak.

Yeah. :/

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 9:41 am

In the 90s I did pink tips. Then after a personal loss in the early 2000s I did a streak of purple. Nobody commented either way. If it were easier, I would do it again. For me. I saw somebody with rainbow hair the other day and was completely envious.

swrider
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2023, 9:46 am

I've of the guys at my work had his hair died pink. I love it and most comments I've heard have been complimentary.

Sorry I know this is the women's forum but I thought that was worth mentioning.