Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2023, 12:16 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
The Earth is ~4.2 billion years old, created by the Big Bang

No, it wasn't. That's no more correct than saying that aircraft carriers and toilet paper were created by the Big Bang. Also, the solar system and Earth both formed around ~4.6 Gya, not 4.2.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 10:25 am

If second hand smoke is dangerous does that mean second hand marijuana smoke is dangerous?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 5:15 pm

^To some degree. To WHAT degree I have no idea. But there is such a thing as a "contact high" (getting mildly stoned when just being in the same room as folks smoking weed).
--------------------------------

Among my fav scientific misconceptions is the belief that "bugs crawl into your mouth by the hundreds while you sleep at night".

The whole poultry, livestock, and fishing, industries would not exist if that were true because that would mean that folks would be getting all of their daily requirements of protein ...for free...while sleeping at night. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 5:22 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
If second hand smoke is dangerous does that mean second hand marijuana smoke is dangerous?

Yes. All plant smoke is inherently dangerous.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 5:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But...

masturbation really DOES make you go blind!

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Can you keep doing it until you just need glasses? :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 5:27 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But...

I think we just figured out why people's eyesight gets worse as they age. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 5:32 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But...

Thats what Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder thought. "I can stop any time. When I start getting a little near sighted I will just quit".

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 5:42 pm

I heard somewhere that second hand smoking is worse than smoking first-hand, which I do not believe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 7:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But...

I think we just figured out why people's eyesight gets worse as they age. :lol:

I smell a ...NOBEL PRIZE...in medicine from this discovery! :D

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 7:43 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I heard somewhere that second hand smoking is worse than smoking first-hand, which I do not believe.

I can see it being true of cigarettes, considering the person smoking gets a filter, everyone else in the room doesn't.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 8:02 am

With weed you inhale deeply, and hold it in your lungs as long as you can.

Folks dont do that with tobacco. They just puff. And yes most cigarettes have filters.

So the "kill ratio" between smokers and nonsmoking folks in the same room with smokers might be more even with cigarettes than with weed.

But still...second hand couldnt be worse than first hand, even with tobacco, I would think.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 8:24 am

One of the last times I smoked weed, I had trouble breathing the next day. I personally think marijuana smoke is more irritating to the lungs than tobacco smoke. Interestingly, I was a regular smoker at the time (was dating a smoker). It's possible newer strains produce less irritating smoke.

About 15 years later, after having not smoked for many years, I went to a Medieval Times in Northern NJ when it was still legal to smoke in the lobby area. I guess there were a lot of smokers there desperate for a nicotine fix between "acts". Once again I experienced the same sort of problems breathing on the way home. Quite scary.

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2023, 1:30 pm

Transgenderism is real and isn't a new thing. Learn something besides "basic biology."
https://forward.com/culture/549587/tran ... gay-pride/
P.S.
People really believe second-hand smoke isn't harmful?! My great-grandmother died from that.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 2:18 pm

Jakki wrote:
Don't do IT , its bad for Yah..! :wink:

IT definitely can be bad for ya, just depending where you work I guess.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 2:24 pm

Jib wrote:
Seeing how this forum is dedicated to science, I thought I would post this here.

What seems to shake out of the items you outlined is they fall into a few different buckets:

1) The wrong answers are 'quick and easy' ways to emotionally process problems and chase the wrong solutions.

2) Taboo and stigma are a social status sorting mechanism, few destructive social climbers would want to give those up easily because they're great weapons.

3) It cuts against how people see their position in society over others (particularly free will).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin