Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 8:37 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 3:19 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Dec 2023, 5:02 pm

He succeeded because of nepotism, there isn't much that the rest of us can do about it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 9:31 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2023, 3:47 pm

I believe that if you're on the spectrum and there's something you really love, if you work hard, you can succeed doing what you love. But not becoming a billionaire doesn't mean you didn't succeed.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 8:25 am

JosetteJoy wrote:
I believe that if you're on the spectrum and there's something you really love, if you work hard, you can succeed doing what you love. But not becoming a billionaire doesn't mean you didn't succeed.

I quite agree that not being a billionaire does not equal not being a success. However, that is now quite the same as saying being a billionaire means you are not a success.

There are plenty of people who had all the benefits that Elon had starting out, and managed to make a complete hash of things. Elon seems to be good at getting smart people to do smart things. And make money while doing it. His rockets are better and more economical than the things that came before. His electric car company was the first to make electric cars that weren’t just scientific curiosities, and is part of making green energy a reality. He just might go to Mars and open up a new planet for human life which might solve a lot of resource problems for the whole population of this planet - so “I don’t like him because he isn’t as far left as I am” just doesn’t seem to me like a good reason to take an “all or nothing” position on him as a human being. Sure he has flaws. So do you. So do I.
He still isn’t a “failure” as a human being. He’s a geek. I kind of like him and am curious to see what he does next. He is certainly colorful.
(Not sure what the Santa cartoon really is about. Strawman argument? Is there any real evidence he is antisemitic?)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 9:11 am

I said:

Fenn wrote:
(Not sure what the Santa cartoon really is about. Strawman argument? Is there any real evidence he is antisemitic?)

Apparently he “re-tweeted” something in November and promptly got beat-up by the press, his advertisers and the White House. He denied accusations of being anti-semitic and used the F-word to insult a fellow billionaire at Disney. It seems to me he insults a lot of people - he is an equal opportunity insult-er. I read the press and finally found a screenshot of what he actually re-tweeted. Looks like typical impulse control issues and a feeling that if people criticize him he can criticize them back. I doubt if he even read beyond the first screen. I hope he sells twitter and focuses on Mars. I never have used twitter, and probably never will. I think I liked the internet better when it was 1.0 - less “social”.
(Of course here I am getting into a discussion of Elon and his pros and cons on the Internet, so I guess I am just as guilty of getting into this “social-media” nonsense as anyone.)
I still think Elon isn’t all bad. I don’t think he is all good either.
You can hate him if it makes you feel better.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2024, 4:41 pm

He was both lucky and determined.

He used his focus, systems thinking and lack of TOM to learn how to be an as*hole manager hacking the business system, and a pretty decent engineer.

He sold paypal right at the end of the dot com boom which was lucky, then took a huge risk with spaceX and Tesla, which were not profitable for a long time, and he was ridiculed.

I think he has just focused on work and not at all on developing empathy, and the
success has made him pretty toxic - especially with his tweet bragging about the coup for lithium.

In my opinion he definitely shows aspie traits, and you can see that childish sense of social-fairness coming out with twitter.

He leaked files showing US govt censorship which is pretty heroic actually, now he is being raked over the coals
for criticizing US govt.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 4:52 pm

According to people on his board of directors, it comes down to just one thing...lots of LSD and partying.
https://www.wsj.com/business/elon-musk- ... s-e826a9e1

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 10:54 am

High correlation between drug use and abuse and adhd - and autism and mental health issues. Google “self-medicating theory”. It might be cause and effect has been reversed. I also have to ask if his board is an unbiased source of information.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 7:37 pm

Fenn wrote:
High correlation between drug use and abuse and adhd - and autism and mental health issues. Google “self-medicating theory”. It might be cause and effect has been reversed. I also have to ask if his board is an unbiased source of information.

I don't need to ggogle self-medicating theory, I know what it is.