Uncomfortable to go to a gym in gym wear

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 8:08 am

I've mentioned in threads before about not going to a gym and using weights at home and so on and so forth, but obviously I see a lot of people who to the local gym near me are nearly always in gym wear of some kind but I don't seem comfortable in wearing gym wear myself or even spending money on it and find myself just wearing either my casual clothes or pyjamas at night when using my weights or doing press-ups at home. I say all of this, but I remember wearing PE (physical education) clothes while doing football, basketball or using the gym at school but I can not seem to want to get myself similar stuff if I ''wanted'' to go to the gym. I used to and still do like swimming and trampolining which I also liked doing at school but the problem is now, because I am on my own with few friends I won't go and do it on my own whereas in the past I always went with a group or class of school mates and now it feels like a barrier to me because I'm on my own. Its the same way I feel if I were to go to a pub or bar on my own on the weekend, I won't go on my own worried I'll feel socially awkward and self-conscious and be perceived as ''weirdo'' sat at a table on my own like I'm waiting for someone to chat to me.

alwaysRootingForTheAI
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2023, 6:57 pm

I always thought the idea of playing dress-up just to exercise was idiotic.

I also always thought the idea of paying money to play dress-up and spend the time and effort to go to a place specifically designated to exercise was idiotic.

So I walk a lot, wherever I happen to be. Works great, and costs nothing.

david_tay
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2023, 9:29 pm

Just wear your comfortable attire in going to gym because that's what gym all about to be comfortable in doing the exercises. Don't be too conscious on what to wear, you are to be physically fit not some fashion show.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2023, 9:51 pm

alwaysRootingForTheAI wrote:

So I walk a lot, wherever I happen to be. Works great, and costs nothing.

Same here. I even have a mowed path at the back of my property at the end of a dead-end road that allows me to walk or jog without leaving my property. 11 times around the path is a mile. Most of the time I walk the path with only shoes on.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2023, 11:45 am

For many years I felt uncomfortable going to a gym and tried to instead exercise at home. I didn't get much results from that. Then I decided to buy a membership card to a gym. I started to work out 4 times a week - to get my money's worth. For the first 6 months I had a lot of social anxiety about people looking at me and my weak body, waiting for the machine I was using to be free for them to use or thinking I was doing the exercise the wrong way. Now I have been working out at that gym for about 10 years and couldn't care less what people in the gym think about me. This has made me overall more confident in other situations as well. I think a lot of autistic people have a low muscle tone. That's something I had that as a child and have been working hard to overcome. For that reason I think lifting weights is something you (if possible) should prioritize as an autistic.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2023, 11:50 am

so, you just wear clothes you are comfortable working out in...its not a fashion show. You are over-thinking this. Its a common theme in your posts...stop comparing yourself to others so much. No one really cares what you look like in the gym (or out of it) Most people are too pre-occupied with whatever is going on in their lives to worry about yours. Do you spend your whole time judging other people when you are out in public?

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2023, 9:38 pm

I almost always wear sweatpants or basketball shorts (depending on the season), so I'm pretty much ready to go whenever I need to go to the gym.

Honestly, regular sweats are fine. It's not like they're making you workout in leotards and leg warmers as if it were still the 80s.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 3:34 pm

DanielW wrote:
so, you just wear clothes you are comfortable working out in...its not a fashion show. You are over-thinking this. Its a common theme in your posts...stop comparing yourself to others so much. No one really cares what you look like in the gym (or out of it) Most people are too pre-occupied with whatever is going on in their lives to worry about yours. Do you spend your whole time judging other people when you are out in public?

No

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 9:35 pm

chris1989 wrote:
DanielW wrote:

No

Exactly, no one else does either - just wear comfortable vlothes and enjoy your workouts.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 9:42 pm

DanielW wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
DanielW wrote:

No

Exactly, no one else does either - just wear comfortable vlothes and enjoy your workouts.

Yep, this is a common thing for people to think. It wasn't until I moved overseas where I was literally the only white person that I'd see for weeks on end that I realized that even if they are paying attention to me and judging, does it even matter?

But, in less extreme situations, people definitely are too busy, and/or self-absorbed, to pay much attention to other people unless they're doing something really weird.