Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 7:23 pm

Inspired by the gaming confession thread. Post your confessions about anime!

Mine: I did not like Toradora. I thought it was rather meh. :lol:

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 10:49 am

I never watched One Piece, not even one episode!

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 4:59 pm

AprilR wrote:

same here :P

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 8:07 pm

When I first started watching Saturday Anime on the Sci-Fi Channel, I thought "Wow, anime is awesome!"

...then I quickly realized that not every anime is Akira... ¬_¬

Some of them are pretty good, but I prefer shorter ones like Cowboy Bebop, where I don't have to watch 500+ episodes.

I used to like Inuyasha on Adult Swim, but they would take such long breaks before showing new episodes, that I would forget to watch, and then when the new episodes finally came out, I missed like eight of them.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 9:17 pm

I no longer keep up with the seasonal anime

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 10:58 pm

Some portion of otakus always wants to lecture about why they don't like Initial D, or why some other not-touge-racing-related anime is better.

If car doesn't go skrrt it's not gonna be more appealing than Initial D.

Vinland Saga might come close (I haven't bothered to watch it yet though) but again, it's special interest related.

I don't like anime because it's anime, I like anime when it focuses on stuff I find appealing. I don't get (and sometimes get annoyed by) anime fans who don't seem to care about content or genre - especially when that attitude comes with judgments towards fans who mostly like popular franchises either because they're new or because the content of those franchises is appealing in terms of genre or content or both.

I've gone to anime conventions but always feel like I'm the sort of person who should be someone's not really into anime friend at the con, instead of there on my own.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 9:49 pm

ocean wrote:
AprilR wrote:

same here :P

Third!

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 9:50 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
When I first started watching Saturday Anime on the Sci-Fi Channel, I thought "Wow, anime is awesome!"

...then I quickly realized that not every anime is Akira... ¬_¬

Some of them are pretty good, but I prefer shorter ones like Cowboy Bebop, where I don't have to watch 500+ episodes.

I used to like Inuyasha on Adult Swim, but they would take such long breaks before showing new episodes, that I would forget to watch, and then when the new episodes finally came out, I missed like eight of them.

If you have netflix, I believe a couple of seasons of Inuyasha are on there. Some of the movies are also on Youtube for free.

I can also recc you anime that are much shorter than 500+ episodes!

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 9:52 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I no longer keep up with the seasonal anime

I've never been one to keep up with seasonal anime too - unless it's a show that EVERYONE is talking about, like Oshi no Ko for example. Or My Happy Marriage. The anime will still be around for me to watch whenever I get to it.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 9:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Some portion of otakus always wants to lecture about why they don't like Initial D, or why some other not-touge-racing-related anime is better.

If car doesn't go skrrt it's not gonna be more appealing than Initial D.

Vinland Saga might come close (I haven't bothered to watch it yet though) but again, it's special interest related.

I don't like anime because it's anime, I like anime when it focuses on stuff I find appealing. I don't get (and sometimes get annoyed by) anime fans who don't seem to care about content or genre - especially when that attitude comes with judgments towards fans who mostly like popular franchises either because they're new or because the content of those franchises is appealing in terms of genre or content or both.

I've gone to anime conventions but always feel like I'm the sort of person who should be someone's not really into anime friend at the con, instead of there on my own.

I find that a lot of the anime community is very judgemental. Like you said, a lot of people get hate for watching "normie" tier shows like Demon Slayer. Anime is another medium used by someone or a group of people to tell a story. I will joke about people who've watched only Naruto for example being silly anime fans, but yeah, many people cross that boundary to hate.

Anime conventions are pretty overwhelming for me. Even though I am an "Otaku' (word makes me cringe), I find that the way other people celebrate (?) anime off putting. It could be my own tism reasonings influencing how I think, but sometimes it's just....weird being around those kind of people lol. :lol:

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 9:57 pm

Another confession: While I am an avid sub-watcher, and enjoy some older dubs (YuYu Hakisho for example), I find that a lot of modern-day dubs by American voice actors are not good.

~~~~

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 10:06 pm

honeytoast wrote:
Anime conventions are pretty overwhelming for me. Even though I am an "Otaku' (word makes me cringe), I find that the way other people celebrate (?) anime off putting. It could be my own tism reasonings influencing how I think, but sometimes it's just....weird being around those kind of people lol. :lol:

Cons are awesome, they're like a multi-day party with other dorks. :heart:

Also, I've never seen One Piece.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 9:05 am

honeytoast wrote:
If you have netflix, I believe a couple of seasons of Inuyasha are on there. Some of the movies are also on Youtube for free.

Yeah, I've seen it a few places, but I don't have a lot of time to watch TV anymore. Especially not something that requires THAT much time @_@
And after a while, it seemed like it kind of turned into DBZ, where they'd get the shards, then lose the shards, then get more shards, lose more shards....ugh...
But I did show my (then) GF a little bit of it back when she was fiending for anime...I think we only got through the first episode?

We also watched the first Record of Lodoss War, I'd been wanting to see the whole thing for a long time. It was pretty good. Might need to watch the second one.
We watched Fruits Basket, too (the original, and a tiny bit of the remake).

honeytoast wrote:

Well, "otaku" is supposed to be a kind of derogatory term, so you're not supposed to like it... ¬_¬
But I guess "nerd" and "geek" used to be quite derogatory as well...

I enjoyed going to our anime con, but it's not just for anime, it's for all things Japan, so lots of Nintendo and stuff too. It's usually pretty rare that I recognize many of the anime characters there =)
Heck, there are a LOT of people there who dress as whatever they want...DC/Marvel is pretty popular there, or current videogames (lots of Borderlands and BioShock), My Little Pony, etc.

I do kind of feel like I'm getting a little too old to keep going, though...seems like the crowd keeps getting younger and younger every year. But with LC, I'm not sure if I -can- even go anymore...and I don't feel like paying that much for a ticket to find out.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 2:28 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

Yeah, I've seen it a few places, but I don't have a lot of time to watch TV anymore. Especially not something that requires THAT much time @_@
And after a while, it seemed like it kind of turned into DBZ, where they'd get the shards, then lose the shards, then get more shards, lose more shards....ugh...
But I did show my (then) GF a little bit of it back when she was fiending for anime...I think we only got through the first episode?

We also watched the first Record of Lodoss War, I'd been wanting to see the whole thing for a long time. It was pretty good. Might need to watch the second one.
We watched Fruits Basket, too (the original, and a tiny bit of the remake).

honeytoast wrote:

Well, "otaku" is supposed to be a kind of derogatory term, so you're not supposed to like it... ¬_¬
But I guess "nerd" and "geek" used to be quite derogatory as well...

I enjoyed going to our anime con, but it's not just for anime, it's for all things Japan, so lots of Nintendo and stuff too. It's usually pretty rare that I recognize many of the anime characters there =)
Heck, there are a LOT of people there who dress as whatever they want...DC/Marvel is pretty popular there, or current videogames (lots of Borderlands and BioShock), My Little Pony, etc.

I do kind of feel like I'm getting a little too old to keep going, though...seems like the crowd keeps getting younger and younger every year. But with LC, I'm not sure if I -can- even go anymore...and I don't feel like paying that much for a ticket to find out.

Record of the Lodoss War is great! It's one of the few animes I own a physical copy of lol.

I thought that otaku was seen a bit better overseas in Japan, but more negative here because of the weeaboo sterotype? Like, it was more neutral than negative. I still view it in a negative-ish way because of mid 2000's internet culture lol.

The crowd gets younger and younger because you're getting older and older....but I understand. The last con I went to had a bunch of teenagers roaming about being silly.

~~~~

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 3:35 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I thought that otaku was seen a bit better overseas in Japan, but more negative here because of the weeaboo sterotype? Like, it was more neutral than negative. I still view it in a negative-ish way because of mid 2000's internet culture lol.

I thought it was the other way around, where it carried a much harsher sense of being obsessed in Japan, whereas overhere it's more specifically 'anime nerd', even if it's seen as cringe weeb s**t to call yourself an otaku, it isn't seen as 'steer clear of that person, they're obsessed' like it is in Japan.

My understanding is that it isn't inherently tied to anime/manga in Japan either, one can be an otaku of any subject matter.

I have Record of the Lodoss War too. I think I bought it at my first Anime North. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 8:03 pm

honeytoast wrote:
Record of the Lodoss War is great! It's one of the few animes I own a physical copy of lol.

Yeah, I only got to see a little bit of it way back in the day. I wonder if I still have it on tape somewhere...I found a couple tapes that had "ANIME" written on them, last time I looked, but no other labels on them.

Not sure what all I own...I know I have Cowboy Bebop + the movie, Speed Racer, Akira, most of Berserk (haven't watched it yet)...

I'm sure I must have more...

Oh! lol, there's a game for the 3DS that has a movie on it, I want to say it's Tekken? I only watched a tiny bit of it, but it's a neat idea.

honeytoast wrote:
The crowd gets younger and younger because you're getting older and older....

Yeah, I guess so... :cry: