Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2023, 12:09 am

Delirium is a problem which can happen mostly if you take an overdose of some medications, like first generation antihistamines. These include Promethazine, Doxylamine, Dipenhydramine and more. Other medications like Dicyclomine, from my experience, can cause delirium too. The problem with delirium is it can be very unpleasant, and not worth the "recreational" use. I'd like to ask if you have experienced this in the past, and how did your autism and delirium go together. For me, it was mostly emotional disturbances, and I found it uncomfortable and unpleasant generally. However, I was able to avoid Delirium by not taking too many tablets of some medications. Some medications like Promethazine or Dipenhydramine can easily cause Delirium, and these are specifically ones you gotta be careful with. I think the recreational use is not worth it, but at the same time, it can produce interesting antidepressant effects.

I was hoping if you can please share what you think about all this generally. Thanks.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 6:57 am

Auditory hallucinations are usually symptomatic of mental illness. Visual hallucinations are usually symptomatic of something toxic in the blood stream. I experienced delirium from a very high fever as a child. The hallucinations seemed just as real as everything else in the room. I took a number of hallucinogens in the early 70s and never had experience anything close to the fever induced ones. For me the experiences did not provoke an emotional response. Rather like a tourist, I viewed the experiences dispassionately.

I would recommend against intentionally putting toxic substances into the body as one can never be sure what short and long term effects they may have.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 7:53 am

It is probably worth avoiding drugs like Promethazine unless you have a good reason to take them.

In the UK, some pharmacies require a prescription for Promethazine whilst others sell them OTC.

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2023, 10:07 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
It is probably worth avoiding drugs like Promethazine unless you have a good reason to take them.

In the UK, some pharmacies require a prescription for Promethazine whilst others sell them OTC.

I agree mostly because Promethazine causes alot of drowsiness. Its impossible to take it during the day, or nearly impossible. Its good as a sleeping pill, anti nausea pill, anti anxiety pill(at the lowest dose).

For me, Promethazine was very helpful in certain situations. Since it helps with nausea and vomiting too, it helped me alot during trips on a a bus, especially around town, and from city to city(suburban areas). During bus trips I occassionally suffer from motion sickness. However, this has nothing to do with Autism spectrum disorder. I have motion sickness more frequently than other people, for unknown reason. So, Promethazine is helpful for this type of nausea.

Overall, Promethazine has its pros and cons. But the big problem with this medication is the drowsiness. Its even more drowsy than Doxylamine and Dipenhydramine. Its very strong.

Yeah, here in my country(Israel) Promethazine is prescription only. But getting a prescription is easy these days.

---------

About Delirium, I'd like to point out the emotional disturbances can be unpleasant. I remember feeling like my head is about to explode when I experienced it. I dont recommend anybody to try this recreational deliriant use.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 12:18 pm

I have heard from one or two people that Promethazine is indeed effective for anxiety.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 1:17 am

A very long time ago, promethazine (named Phenergan here in Oz) used to be used as an antipsychotic. When I was in psych ward, it would be given out at night to help people sleep.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 1:21 am

Dipenhydramine is not a good idea as a long-term sleep aid. It messes with serotonin levels and can contribute to mental health issues.