Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2023, 10:43 am

I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos about intermittant fasting and autophagy. They say it can reset your metabolism. But it isn't safe to do it unless you learn how to do it safely.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 10:45 am

I would expire if I fasted tbh. I have to eat as much as possible all day to get through the night. The night is my fasting time because I'm asleep :lol:

Thanks for your advice though :)

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 2:19 pm

KitLily wrote:
Either that or I go into gruesome detail about what my food intolerances and allergies do to me. And it is not nice at all. People go 'ugh' and screw their faces up. Well guys, you did ask for it :lol:

I don't know what I'll do, it's always a gamble each day whether I'll find enough to eat. I have put on a bit of weight lately though so that is something. And at least I don't go to bed starving and wake up starving in the night now.

:lol: I'm totally going to do that sometime. My stomach isn't known for being the most cooperative thing. I could spin some gory stories to folks.

Meh. Food issues suck. I really do hope you can get this figured out and get to feeling better all the time. For now, yay to the new found weight and hell to the yeah about not feeling so starved all the time. I know it's a not a complete fix, but any break in that sort of thing is a little win and sometimes those little wins mean so much.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 2:50 am

I don't understand my body, some days (not many) I feel full and other days I am starving and have to stuff my face 24/7.

I don't think it's the weather and it's not my hormones because I haven't had periods for years. I used to get the rollercoaster period situation where I was starving before my period but felt too sick during it to eat anything. And then ate more after it, then got starving again. The rollercoaster situation.

I don't know :shrug:

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2023, 1:41 pm

^ That's where record keeping pays off. If you can keep track of what you ate and when, how you felt, how you slept, any exercise you did, etc, you begin to get a handle on the causes of what you describe and possible ways to remedy them. It could be what you are eating but it could also be other factors of your life style. IOW, if you aren't exercising maybe you should, do some walking perhaps. If you are exercising, perhaps you should cut it back some, you could be overdoing it. But you don't know these things til you record the results.

You may also reach the conclusion (as I have) that it takes an autistic to help an autistic. This isn't something an NT MD can simply reach for his prescription pad and scrawl you out a life mending medication. As we all will agree, take away a doctor's prescription pad and he's at a loss. Especially as I said before, they understand diabetes but hypoglycemia is beyond their comprehension.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2023, 2:35 am

That's the thing though. I do the same things every day. I live a very quiet, dull, repetitive life. I don't overexert myself or do anything extreme. I am at home all the time not doing much exercise, just eating all day. Logically, I *should* be extremely fat, but I'm not. I'm thin. So where is all this food going? I'm somehow burning it off without doing anything. I can eat a meal, then sit quietly in a chair for half an hour, then suddenly I'm starving again and have to rush to get some food before I start collapsing.

I used to keep records of what I ate, because I've seen dieticians who don't think there is a problem with me, but my situation interferes with my life. There was no pattern or rhythm to what I experience.

That's the reason I don't go out of the house- in case I have a situation where I start collapsing due to lack of food. I had one last week at my daughter's college re-enrolment. I thought it would be a quick 10 minute affair but it dragged on for 1.5 hours. Luckily my husband was there to drive us home and I literally had to run into the house and grab some food to eat as I could feel I was heading for a collapse.

What on earth is going on?

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2023, 12:18 pm

@KitLilly--
When my blood sugar drops, I experience more of an emotional reaction. I begin to feel frustrated, strung out, ticked off about something. But I don't feel physically on the verge of collapsing. We are all different, granted, but could you be experiencing a drop in blood pressure rather than blood sugar? A drop in blood pressure would indeed make you feel dizzy and about to collapse. When you eat to recover from your collapsing spells, what do you eat? And how long does it take for the feeling to subside? You may be dealing with something entirely different from what you thought. Do you have either a blood sugar or blood pressure monitor so you could check when you need to? Both of them are not expensive now days.

I wanted to ask too, if you have had any occasions when you have gone all day without getting any of the collapsing feelings? If so, what was different about those times?

Hoping these questions help...

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 9:20 am

That's very interesting about the blood pressure idea Neil. I've always had low blood pressure...hmm...The reason I think it's blood sugar is that I feel it in my tummy and digestive system and get hot and cold sweats when I'm on the way to collapsing, and feel hungry of course. Hot and cold sweats are symptoms of diabetes and blood sugar problems. And of course the minute I eat something it's like my engine starts again and I can function again.

I tend to go for carbs when I'm in that condition as they give me a boost e.g. rice cakes, buckwheat crackers.

I need a whole body MOT, I think!!

I might have gone through days without the collapsing feeling, no idea why though, I can't remember. I can't find any rhythm or cycle or logic to it, I dunno.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2023, 1:48 pm

I think the best thing you can do is invest in a blood sugar monitor so you can check it while you are feeling weak, get a numerical value, and that will reveal a lot. If you don't know how reasonable your blood sugar reading is, get back to me. PM me if you like.

If you can afford it, and especially if your blood sugar readings turn out to be not so unusual, go for a blood pressure monitor too. If you find your blood pressure is what is dropping, I am pretty sure your doctor can prescribe you some medication for that. A med to keep it more level.

I know you have reached the end of your tether. I hope you can get it under control soon.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 1:52 pm

I've got a blood sugar monitor, we'll have to get better at using it because at the moment it's hard to get any blood out of me to test it. Probably another sign of blood pressure :?

Thanks everyone for helping me, it really means a lot. Even though I've done everything I can, it still helps to get suggestions.