Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 8:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Yes, tell them the precise truth unvarnished and answer every question they ask in great detail. That's usually enough to short circuit NT brains.

Or do exactly what they tell you to the precise detail and when they complain say "Well you said..."

That's a good idea, I often do that by default anyway because I don't get the hidden meaning behind everything. I might switch off my 'desperately trying to understand' function and just do as I'm told.

Today at the dentist, I said to the receptionist: 'I'll have to make an appointment later when I can arrange transport and how I'll get to the appointment.'

*blank stare* 'Oh! You mean phone up and make an appointment later?'

Yes? Was I not clear?

Yes, but I think it may have been TMI (too much info). A bit of constructive criticism: it would've been better to have said "I'll be sure to make an appointment once I've sorted out my schedule."

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 3:34 am

Jayo wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Today at the dentist, I said to the receptionist: 'I'll have to make an appointment later when I can arrange transport and how I'll get to the appointment.'

*blank stare* 'Oh! You mean phone up and make an appointment later?'

Yes? Was I not clear?

Yes, but I think it may have been TMI (too much info). A bit of constructive criticism: it would've been better to have said "I'll be sure to make an appointment once I've sorted out my schedule."

Gosh, I forget how small NTs brains are, they can't handle TMI can they! We can handle more, I think.

It is quite annoying being so fast. I've noticed for many years that my brain is much faster and more agile than most people's. I can solve problems very quickly while most people are still on stage 1, saying 'so we've got this problem...'

Bloody frustrating!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:15 am

KitLily wrote:
Gosh, I forget how small NTs brains are, they can't handle TMI can they! We can handle more, I think.

Hey! NT lives matter too....

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 8:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Hey! NT lives matter too....

We're just two different species 8)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Dec 2023, 9:04 am

KitLily wrote:
It is quite annoying being so fast. I've noticed for many years that my brain is much faster and more agile than most people's. I can solve problems very quickly while most people are still on stage 1, saying 'so we've got this problem...'
Same. I often just see the connections and solutions like !snap! while others are struggling with stage one.
This sometimes results in accusations of arrogance or being a know-it-all. Eh, so it's my fault I recognize patterns quickly?

Quote:
Bloody frustrating!
:lol: That's putting it lightly.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 11:37 am

Cornflake wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Same. I often just see the connections and solutions like !snap! while others are struggling with stage one.
This sometimes results in accusations of arrogance or being a know-it-all. Eh, so it's my fault I recognize patterns quickly?

Then eventually they get to the same solution we got to, but by then they've forgotten we suggested it and spend ages congratulating themselves :roll:

I think next time I will write my solution in a book with the date and show it to them when they've arrived at the same conclusion.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 1:51 pm

I would be interested in hearing an example of your experiences in this regard. When did you put an NT in his or her place with your swift problem solving capacity?

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 3:48 pm

KitLily wrote:
Yes, tell them the precise truth unvarnished and answer every question they ask in great detail. That's usually enough to short circuit NT brains.

This is literally all it takes! I was looking to see if someone wrote this before I did so I wouldn’t be saying anything redundant.

#palestinianlivesmatter

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 4:39 pm

Zakatar wrote:
KitLily wrote:

This is literally all it takes! I was looking to see if someone wrote this before I did so I wouldn’t be saying anything redundant.

Wow! I would be interested in hearing an example of your experiences in this regard. When did you put an NT in his or her place with your swift problem solving capacity?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:13 pm

Putting an NT in their place is all about timing. It's also about hitting home (with them) they have transgressed thus putting them in an awkward situation where the consequence is embarrassment (again for them).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:21 pm

Taking NTs literally often torments them quite well.

There was a WP member who told of the time when, at a meeting in his workplace somebody had rhetorically remarked about a plan, "What could possibly go wrong?" The Aspie replied with a list of everything he could think of that could possibly go wrong. His colleagues didn't like that. I did.

One time at work, I was on the phone to somebody that a colleague also wanted to talk to, so he said to me, "Don't put the phone down when you're done." So I did what he asked - when I was done talking to the guy on the phone, I said goodbye to him, let him hang up, and handed the phone to my colleague. He wasn't amused.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:24 pm

I personally don't believe threads like this do any good. Very few neurotypical people know anything about autism, and of those people 99% couldn't give a sh-t whether any of us are autistic. I don't get the need to foster resentment about neurotypical people.

Plenty of people in this thread have boasted about their ability to outthink neurotypical people to their embarrassment, yet no one has presented an actual example of their virtuosity.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:26 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

There was a WP member who told of the time when, at a meeting in his workplace somebody had rhetorically remarked about a plan, "What could possibly go wrong?" The Aspie replied with a list of everything he could think of that could possibly go wrong. His colleagues didn't like that. I did.

One time at work, I was on the phone to somebody that a colleague also wanted to talk to, so he said to me, "Don't put the phone down when you're done." So I did what he asked - when I was done talking to the guy on the phone, I said goodbye to him, let him hang up, and handed the phone to my colleague. He wasn't amused.

Buy, you sure put THAT dude in his place. I'll bet he didn't think you were an ass.

He has almost certainly forgotten that ever happened. You have hung on to that memory for dear life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 6:20 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Taking NTs literally often torments them quite well..

It depends what the endgame is. Mostly if its work or friendship circles then it only results in frustration which hardly serves any benefit to the ND individual

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 6:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Taking NTs literally often torments them quite well..

It depends what the endgame is. Mostly if its work or friendship circles then it only results in frustration which hardly serves any benefit to the ND individual

I do agree that it may torment the NT individual but it has a way of biting the ND individual in the ass. I often take my wife (ultra NT) literally which can lead to unnecessary drama, and I sure don’t do it to screw with her head.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 8:13 pm

rse92 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Buy, you sure put THAT dude in his place. I'll bet he didn't think you were an ass.

I presume you mean that as sarcasm? I had no intention of tormenting him, I just took him literally because that's what young undiagnosed Aspies tend to do. He certainly thought me an ass for it, but at the time I felt it was all his fault. After diagnosis (decades later), I eventually conceded that he was no more to blame than I was. Neither of us knew anything about ASD.

Quote:
He has almost certainly forgotten that ever happened. You have hung on to that memory for dear life.

Well, I remember it, but then I remember a lot of odd little details, so I guess it depends what you mean by hanging on. I remember him as having a curious range of personality traits and moods. I both admired and had contempt for him.