Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 8:33 pm

rse92 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Taking NTs literally often torments them quite well..

It depends what the endgame is. Mostly if its work or friendship circles then it only results in frustration which hardly serves any benefit to the ND individual

I do agree that it may torment the NT individual but it has a way of biting the ND individual in the ass. I often take my wife (ultra NT) literally which can lead to unnecessary drama, and I sure don’t do it to screw with her head.

Sure, communication breakdowns don't often do friendship any good. Tormenting is best reserved for enemies, and even then it's wise to try to weigh up the power relations first, especially at work in the USA where unfair dismissal is legal.

But I think the idea of this thread is to have a bit of fun.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2023, 4:28 pm

rse92 wrote:
I would be interested in hearing an example of your experiences in this regard. When did you put an NT in his or her place with your swift problem solving capacity?

My boss at the gym where I was a personal trainer, out of the blue, asked, "Why do you have a single long hair growing under your chin?" (I'm a woman).

It just rolled off my tongue: "It's my trademark."

This guy, though, was a great boss, and he meant no offense. He was a jokester and in good measure asked the question, not meaning to offend. That's why my clever witty response was also not meant to offend.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 4:05 pm

Talk to the person about pus videos nonstop.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 6:11 pm

Stick a lighted match in his ear? Also can be used to make a Maltese cross.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2023, 7:17 pm

I've accidentally tortured NTs when I would start explaining music theory to them. Also, if you're around blind NTs or those who work with blind people, just stim. They would rather hear that you kick puppies than that you stim I think.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 7:21 pm

TikvaBall wrote:
I've accidentally tortured NTs when I would start explaining music theory to them. Also, if you're around blind NTs or those who work with blind people, just stim. They would rather hear that you kick puppies than that you stim I think.

I assume this is mostly limited to stims that produce noise?

I drum on stuff constantly. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2023, 7:36 pm

Actually it's any stim. Most blind or visually impaired people have some sight, so they can see what you're doing, and they will let the ones who can't see anything know as well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 7:52 pm

TikvaBall wrote:
Actually it's any stim. Most blind or visually impaired people have some sight, so they can see what you're doing, and they will let the ones who can't see anything know as well.

Ah.

I just figured it would be easier to not notice some stims, but I guess one can still have a substantial degree of vision and still be visually impaired.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 12:46 am

Repeat the same thing over and over again.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 6:09 am

Elgee wrote:
rse92 wrote:
I would be interested in hearing an example of your experiences in this regard. When did you put an NT in his or her place with your swift problem solving capacity?

My boss at the gym where I was a personal trainer, out of the blue, asked, "Why do you have a single long hair growing under your chin?" (I'm a woman).

It just rolled off my tongue: "It's my trademark."

This guy, though, was a great boss, and he meant no offense. He was a jokester and in good measure asked the question, not meaning to offend. That's why my clever witty response was also not meant to offend.

So you neither put your boss “in his place” nor exhibited great problem solving capacity.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2023, 8:33 am

Yeah, you can have a visual acuity of 20/200 with correction to be considered legally blind. You had to be legally blind to go to the school I went to as a kid. Those guys will absolutely see someone stimming, and they will make fun of you. Also, I tap stuff and I rock. My stims are all the stereotypical ones.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 11:41 am

oh oh I got one...

After you "come out" to someone as being on the autistic spectrum, b/c they get frustrated or angry or weirded out in some way that your behaviour is unnatural, let's say they respond curtly with "I don't care about your condition!!"

(And yes, I've gotten this before.)

Then YOU reply with: "OK, I'm glad you don't hold it against me."

:lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:41 pm

Speak to them in the most monotone voice that you can.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 12:39 pm

Genuinely acting up auditory processing issues -- and instead of getting frustrated or confused with whoever NT, you just laugh at every perceived misheard words, mispronunciations or unprocessed gibberish.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 4:51 pm

Answer a rhetorical question literally. It's especially annoying when the NT thinks their rhetoric is really putting you in your place (i.e beneath them), and under such circumstances it's justifiable.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 4:44 pm

Take a really long time to formulate an appropriately considered response to a question, then take great pains to be extremely precise about the choice of words you use, being very specific about what you are trying to communicate. Works especially well if you do this repeatedly in the course of a conversation and use words that they aren't familiar with.