what causes non-verbality and/or speech loss?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 2:19 pm

Asking cuz I don't experience these myself.

I have had partial speech loss two or three times when in shutdown, it was harder to talk and I was much more brief when I said anything. Only reason I could speak at all was it was necessary I think. I don't really know the mechanism behind that, other than when you're shutting down your brain is taking away processes that it deems unnecessary to survive the situation.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 3:16 pm

Seems as spoons go away, am less and less able to speak or engage people ..It becomes almost impossible to acknowledge people speaking to you . Mentally you do not think , most important things , are breathing and possibly trying to stay upright . But persons want to engage you ..??? you do not consider them .. It kinda like certain areas of the brain are shut down..even sight becomes a low priority . And you dont engage fight or flight cause its not engagable ! Imagine overwelming brainfog.
But I was relatively minor .. youngest sister was practically born non verbal ..and practically without language understanding until her teens . Practically mute till then . Then only sounds . Then abbreviated words but no sentences . Toilet skills not until 6 yrs.

where ever you go ,there you are

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2023, 8:15 pm

Sounds similar to my experiences with shutdowns, just that I've never completely lost speech.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2023, 9:20 pm

I can't imagine what it's like to lose the ability to speak, since when I'm p'd off at someone or want to set someone straight in a stressful situation, all I WANT to do is blast them my words. During mutism periods, can you-all at least talk to YOURSELVES? Or is the mutism on 100 percent? If so, what stops you from forming words from your vocal cords? What happens when you try to talk? Is it grumbling?